Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New "owned" receiver

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

You cannot start a new account with owned equipment that you've obtained elsewhere, that is true. But as I specifically stated, DirecTV has offers designed for those who can't provide SSN information or otherwise need to own their equipment, and that equipment is sold, on a one-time basis, at a significant discount. Only NEW customers qualify for this deal.

You're combining two different things actually.

There is an option to get an owned new customer deal. It's pricey and has set equipment options. You cannot mix n match equipment like you can in the leased deal. It ranges from $150 - $250 plus an activation fee. There are also limitations on getting other equipment on the account for a set time frame. The option is really for people who would want service for a short time frame to try it out.

The deal for people without SSN is still leased they just have to pay a fee to get service which gets refunded over the life of the account. Those people still have to pay for advanced equipment and a higher fee.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

DTV employees is the key phase here. Once they quit their stuff is still owned and they are no longer employees. You do the math.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#103 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:50 PM

DTV employees is the key phase here. Once they quit their stuff is still owned and they are no longer employees. You do the math.

"When your employment ends, your complimentary DIRECTV programming will be disconnected within seven days. To avoid a disruption if you wish to continue service and begin paying for your account, please fill out and return the Employee Account Conversion Request form."

The account conversion request form states if you continue service your boxes will become leased and if you wish to terminate your service a return kit will be supplied to return your employee owned equipment. So we will see how that plays out as turnover is high it will not take long to find out.

#104 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:55 PM

So the option is to sell your "employee owned" equipment and switch to DISH or cable, or give it back to DirecTv for the privilege of paying them for service? That is a no brainer.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#105 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

No if you have a DTV employee account and terminate employement you either start paying for service or send your equipment back to them as it is no longer owned. Is the way I read the new policy.

#106 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:00 PM

Then it was never owned in the first place.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#107 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

I guess its a loaner. lol

#108 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

What is DirecTv's aversion to people owning their boxes? Do they not realize if people invest their own money, often 1.5X the lease price or more, they are more inclined to STAY with DirecTv? I never understood this.

#109 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

What is DirecTv's aversion to people owning their boxes? Do they not realize if people invest their own money, often 1.5X the lease price or more, they are more inclined to STAY with DirecTv? I never understood this.

You can order owned equipment through DIRECTV. Their aversion is that people who have been ripped off usually get more upset at the company than the person who defrauded them.

As West hit on the amount of equipment that DIRECTV gives out to new employees who are no longer around in 6 months is probably a huge cost given normal job attrition for call centers. If they can save save all that cash from walking out the door why not? If employees had to pay or get agreements then it would be one thing.

#110 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:45 PM

We wouldnt have to search out employee owned boxes if Solid Signal, or any other store in the country, were allowed to sell owned boxes.

If you dont know who to ask for, you would be hard pressed to even find a CSR that knew you could buy a DVR, and then they still wont even guarantee which one they will send you, even at the premium price, and it might be new, but probably will be used.

#111 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:42 PM

We wouldnt have to search out employee owned boxes if Solid Signal, or any other store in the country, were allowed to sell owned boxes.

If you dont know who to ask for, you would be hard pressed to even find a CSR that knew you could buy a DVR, and then they still wont even guarantee which one they will send you, even at the premium price, and it might be new, but probably will be used.

Purchase option is always NIB.

#112 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:31 AM

Purchase option is always NIB.

When I talked to the Access Card dept about buying my HR24, they told me they couldnt guarantee a model OR a new one. See, its just that kind of stuff that they need to get their stories together on.

#113 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,084 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:35 AM

Then it was never owned in the first place.

Good point. Great point! But I would think that allows the D* employees to add bigger HDDs without worrying about sanctions. Other than that, I can't think of any reason for them not to be leased in the first place.

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,084 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think they get tax breaks of some sort on leased boxes that they don't get on owned boxes.

Rich

#115 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Good point. Great point! But I would think that allows the D* employees to add bigger HDDs without worrying about sanctions. Other than that, I can't think of any reason for them not to be leased in the first place.

Rich

I think it just reached the point where it cost less to attempt to get the equipment back than it did to just let the ex employee walk away with it. Either that or someone brought up how much it was costing and everyone looked at each other and assumed this was happening already.

#116 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

I think it just reached the point where it cost less to attempt to get the equipment back than it did to just let the ex employee walk away with it. Either that or someone brought up how much it was costing and everyone looked at each other and assumed this was happening already.

Perhaps the more expensive HR34 forced this change.

#117 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

No if you have a DTV employee account and terminate employement you either start paying for service or send your equipment back to them as it is no longer owned. Is the way I read the new policy.

I have bought several HR24-500 DVRs from Directv Employees without a problem so if they Quit their Directv Employment how can they Return their Equipment, I have it and I Own it???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#118 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Not the Fist of Goodness

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

I have bought several HR24-500 DVRs from Directv Employees without a problem so if they Quit their Directv Employment how can they Return their Equipment, I have it and I Own it???

New policy is DTV employees are not allowed to sell any equipment they are giving as part of their employee accounts.

This is apparently something new.

#119 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

This is apparently something new.

Yes, I think it is a New Directv Employee Policy and I think I know why they implemented it. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

spam firewall