Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

RT Channel 280

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Is this some russian news/tourism channel? When did this happen?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

Is this some russian news/tourism channel? When did this happen?

This happened today. Russia Today (RT) has been added the International Basic Pack, Russian: Mega Pack, DishLATINO Max, and AT120 and above at no additional cost to customers

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#3 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Interesting, thanks.

#4 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

While you're at it, how about an Indonesia news channel?

#5 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

While you're at it, how about an Indonesia news channel?

I'll put in a request for you. Any specific one?

Social Media

#6 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Wow, there's more than one? An english-language one, if available, thanks.

#7 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:13 PM

Wow, there's more than one? An english-language one, if available, thanks.

I imagine there's more than one, but don't know of any off-hand, but I did put in a request for you

Social Media

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

How about a Canadian station? It would not take much to make CBC acceptable for U.S. distribution (i.e. removing the few programs that are already carried by a U.S. network). They get all our major nets plus many of our programs are carried on their nets.

When I first got cable back in the mid 80's we got a Canadian station since we are on the border (well sort of, Canada is 60 miles to the north with Lake Erie between us).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 693 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

How about a Canadian station? It would not take much to make CBC acceptable for U.S. distribution (i.e. removing the few programs that are already carried by a U.S. network). They get all our major nets plus many of our programs are carried on their nets.

When I first got cable back in the mid 80's we got a Canadian station since we are on the border (well sort of, Canada is 60 miles to the north with Lake Erie between us).

Blame Congress, the FCC and NAB for why Canadian TV stations cannot be carried by satellite in the United States. I have no idea how cable TV in Detroit, Seattle and Buffalo still can carry Canadian stations. Though, Canada, allows US Networks to be carried on satellite and Cable in Canada. While yes, CBS, CTV, and Global have their Canadian based programming, adverisers from the US routinely air ads on Canadian stations, thus causing competition for advertising dollars. Also, the US TV stations in Seattle, Detroit and Buffalo, NY do not want to lose revenue to their Canadian counterparts across the border.

The bottom line, as with everything else in this country with government, its the money. NAB pays a lot of people in Congress.

#10 OFFLINE   Chihuahua

Chihuahua

Legend

• Registered
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

I imagine there's more than one, but don't know of any off-hand, but I did put in a request for you

Perhaps Euronews (in English) and BBC World News (and maybe Britain's Sky News as well) as well as Al Jazeera English.

Edited by Chihuahua, 06 December 2011 - 02:51 PM.
Added "as well as Al Jazeera English"

#11 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 571 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

I did put all of your requests in

Social Media

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

Perhaps Euronews (in English) and BBC World News (and maybe Britain's Sky News as well) as well as Al Jazeera English.

Several years Al Jazeera English was supposed to be added, but there there was a flurry of angry "I'll drop Dish" messages posted here.

#13 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Let me get this straight....you are KIDDING me!

We've got bloody RT which does NOTHING but slam the US and praise Putin 24/7, but Al Jazeera English was short-circuited by a few ... uninformed people?

OK, before I get into a shouting match here I simply want to challenge anyone who wants to slam me on AJE.

First, go to: http://rt.com/on-air/ Watch it for an hour and count the anti-US references you see and hear, the stories that tell of all the problems in America.

Then, go to: http://www.aljazeera.com/watch_now/ and do the same.

Then come back here and let's discuss.

BTW, as I was typing this I switched on RT, just to make sure it was what I remembered. Within 30 seconds I had been told how Newt Gingrich or Romney as President would curtail American civil liberties and the crawl at the bottom of the screen chided the US for "interfering" with its comments about the Russian election.

I want to know who is paying Dish to pick up this channel. Look, I know what Charlie's politics are...I can't help but wonder if he knows he's broadcasting this...stuff?

As a child, I would lie in bed at night and listen to Radio Moscow, along with many other shortwave stations. Even at the age of 12 I could discern the difference between propaganda and honestly reported news. Today's RT doesn't push the glories of Marxism as did the old Radio Moscow...but it is considerably more sophisticated in the ways it seeks to trash our country and its interests abroad.

Sorry for the rant, folks. This just pissed me off (as I guess you can tell).

Edited by mnassour, 06 December 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   quizzer

quizzer

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

BBC World
CNN International

#15 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

BBC World
CNN International

I don't think CNNI is a possibility as IIRC they won't sell it domestically. But BBC World is out there for the asking (and paying for).

....along with Al Jazeera English. :preach:

#16 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

It seems to me that the Middle East has replaced Russia as the favorite boogieman on US TV. China seems to be an up and comer in this regard too.

#17 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

mnassour, I kid you not. The uproar over AlJaz was so bad the thread was locked and then removed. I'm just as upset as you are over the situation. If somebody did not want to watch it, don't. Just don't block it for the rest of us. We do still have freedom of speech here (last time I've checked). We should be able to get every foreign English language service available! Having those channels would differentiate satellite service over cable.

#18 OFFLINE   jamelar

jamelar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:39 AM

Second on BBC World and CNN International request (BBC World a strong 1st over CNNI)

"I don't think CNNI is a possibility as IIRC they won't sell it domestically."
Actually U-Verse and some US Cable systems carry it.

I just noticed the RT addition last night. Actually I've been receiving RT and Aljazzera English for some time now on an FTA satellite. I am REALLY hoping BBC World will be added sometime soon. I'm betting RT is paying Dish to carry their signal where BBC World requires payment from Dish.

As to the those who don't like the some view points of foreign news channels:
1) Read the first amendment, should that really only apply to the US?
2) You don't have to watch the channel.
3) The Voice of America is a US Gov't sponsored radio and television service broadcast to the rest of the world in various languages. Should that be shut down?
4) There are those of us who want to see other points of view besides what the US media determines to be news, and can decide for ourselves what is news and what is BS.
I could go on, but I think I've hit the main points.

So I do applaud Dish Network's decision to air Russia Today. I really would like to see BBC World added.

#19 OFFLINE   schmack

schmack

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

The uproar over AlJaz was so bad the thread was locked and then removed.

Why is everyone okay with this type of blatant censorship online? I coded my first BBS (online forum software) back in 1982 and all my life I have seen rampant censorship online. I thought this was ameerika?

#20 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

Censorship is when the government disallows free speech.
Moderation is when a forum thread gets out of hand and locked.

If'n you don't like it, go make your own forum, with blackjack, and hookers.

...you know what, forget the forum and the blackjack...

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...