Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Roof and Dish Realignment

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   blueoyster

blueoyster

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Getting a new roof soon and am wondering what the latest way to get the dish realigned by DTV is. I have the Protection Plan so I suspect it shouldn't be a major problem. Just call DTV for a realignment and the Tech will realize it's a new roof and not care that was the reason? Also how far in advance should I call? Never had to use them for this. Don't want to wait a week for a Tech to show up. Thanks for any replies.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

If you have the roof replaced, you pay to have the dish remounted, PP or not...PP does not cover re-roofing your house and having the dish remounted free of charge, nor should it....

#3 OFFLINE   blueoyster

blueoyster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

The roof is being replaced because of Hurricane Irene. The roofer will remount the dish. Chances are it will be out of realignment after the remount.

#4 OFFLINE   ke3ju

ke3ju

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts
  • LocationStroudsburg, PA and Seminole, FL

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

I just went through this...it's only $50...although my circumstance was slightly different...I had a metal roof put on, and didn't want the dish put back on that, so they came and put a poll in the backyard. Still, dude was here from 7pm 'til 11pm, and it was only $50...
1 - HR20-100S
1 - HR21-100B
1 - HR22-700
1 - HR24-500
1 - R22

'Any fool can write code that a computer can understand.
Good programmers write code that humans can understand.'
Martin Fowler

#5 OFFLINE   blueoyster

blueoyster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:59 AM

$50 is a fair price. Thanks ke3ju.

#6 OFFLINE   deardeva

deardeva

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:06 AM

call protection plan, explain you had roof work done, that roofers did remount the dish, you need realignment....they will tell you what you need to know

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:30 AM

$50 is a fair price. Thanks ke3ju.

Since it is being done due to the hurricane, it should be included in the cost of the roof replacement through the insurance policy....

#8 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

When I had my roof replaced, the roofers marked the position of the mount for the dish, removed the dish, replaced the roof, and reinstalled the dish. It was about 3 years after the roof was replaced before I had to have the dish realigned.

The reason I ultimately called DirecTV to align the dish was that I had a 5 satellite LNB, but I do not have LOS to 119, and did not have good signal strength on 110 and was having problems with the guide not updating. I do not need 110 or 119, so I wanted DirecTV to replace the 5 satellite LNB with a 3 satellite LNB and align the dish.

DirecTV had agreed not to charge me, since I had been a customer for so long without ever having a service call; however, when the DirecTV technician came to the house, he refused to go up on the roof to align the dish. It would have required using a ladder to get to the garage roof and putting a second ladder on the garage roof to reach the dish on the roof to the main part of the house. He went onto the garage roof, but could not reach the dish from there without a second ladder. The technician said that they were not allowed to do a two ladder install. I told him that obviously, someone did that, because that is where my dish had always been mounted. The technician said that it must have been installed by a third party installer, because DirecTV would not have mounted the dish there. All he was willing to do was mark my account so I could cancel without penalty (although I am long, long past my two year commitment period). He did leave the 3 satellite LNB on the garage roof. Whether that was by accident or on purpose, I do not know, but I was not supposed to have been charged for it if he had installed it, so I did not feel guilty about keeping it.

I called a third party installer, who came out the same day, replaced my old 5 satellite LNB with a 3 satellite LNB, and aligned the dish for $90. If I pro-rate the $90 over the time I have been with DirecTV, I have spent less than $8.00 per year on service. I can live with that.

#9 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

The only way I would ever allow a roofer to mount a dish is if they were to install a commdeck mount. I've seen way to many roofer installs where they use whatever screws/bolts/nails they had laying in their truck and slapped on a tube of caulk. Nothing like telling someone that you need to put an additional X number of holes in the new roof as the ones the roofer did are not going to work. Good times.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#10 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

The only way I would ever allow a roofer to mount a dish is if they were to install a commdeck mount. I've seen way to many roofer installs where they use whatever screws/bolts/nails they had laying in their truck and slapped on a tube of caulk. Nothing like telling someone that you need to put an additional X number of holes in the new roof as the ones the roofer did are not going to work. Good times.

^^^^ is dead on.

NEVER ever let the roofer put the dish back on.

you didn't call Directv to replace your roof, don't let the roofer replace the dish.

Too many times I have seen them 'drive' (with a hammer) the lag screws back into the exact same holes the bolts came out of.

Because of a major quality crackdown over the past few years If the technician comes out there and the roofers job of installing the dish isn't up to spec, he's going to come down, charge you, and tell you he is going to have to reinstall the dish, leaving the old mast foot, and monopole mounts behind, and install 10 more lags into your bran new roof a few feet over.

Call Directv, pay the 99 bucks, or whatever discounted rate they give you for an ODU relocate, and make sure it's done right.

*note, this excludes the ultra rare instances when you get a hack installer that doesn't know his arse from a tea kettle, and the even rarer instances where the roofer has someone that is a former installer and still has his meter and actually does the dish right.

#11 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:31 PM

Personally as a tech it boggles my mind why the protection plan does NOT cover a simple re-alignment. 6$ a month should cover this as it is NOT customer caused.

If you have the protection plan I would advise never to be upfront with the CSR that you had a new roof put on. Just say your signal goes out frequently. The tech will know and will not care.

I had a lady today who was pretty upset about this very issue and I agree!

edit: and as for having a roofer put the dish back on, the problem is within the warranty. If the roofers don't put it back up and someone else does it could void the warranty of the roof. If the roofers do it, obviously they guarantee that.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#12 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:20 PM

Personally as a tech it boggles my mind why the protection plan does NOT cover a simple re-alignment. 6$ a month should cover this as it is NOT customer caused.

If you have the protection plan I would advise never to be upfront with the CSR that you had a new roof put on. Just say your signal goes out frequently. The tech will know and will not care.

I had a lady today who was pretty upset about this very issue and I agree!

edit: and as for having a roofer put the dish back on, the problem is within the warranty. If the roofers don't put it back up and someone else does it could void the warranty of the roof. If the roofers do it, obviously they guarantee that.

The protection plan does not cover customer caused issues, such as having the roof replaced.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#13 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

The protection plan does not cover customer caused issues, such as having the roof replaced.

I know it doesn't but I think it should! :) At least the roof being replaced. In many cases it is necessary and un-avoidable unlike a dog chewing the cable or a drunken riding lawn mower into a pole! A roof replace is once every 10 years and should be covered under the protection plan especially since most service calls for this issue are less than 30 minutes.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#14 OFFLINE   adidas208

adidas208

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:30 PM

I know it doesn't but I think it should! :) At least the roof being replaced. In many cases it is necessary and un-avoidable unlike a dog chewing the cable or a drunken riding lawn mower into a pole! A roof replace is once every 10 years and should be covered under the protection plan especially since most service calls for this issue are less than 30 minutes.

LMFAO had the drunken riding lawnmower happen a time or two. Not to seem unsensitive to the orig poster issue: but it does say that pp does not cover customer caused or acts of god(hence hurricane) Now me being a svc tech, i never customer cause these because i dont see the point in a potentially p'd off customer calling back because of the 50-130 possible charge for this close code. If it was upto me there would be a csr caused or case manager caused close code and those people would get back charged becuase they drop ship a rcvr and cant figure out what dish setup they have...dont kill me just my two cents:D

#15 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:05 PM

Please listen to Robert and Netraa and DO NOT let roofers remount the kaku dish., Just tell the to take it down gently and do the roof. If you are having Directv come out anyway Let them do the entire job. Between me and you when I come back out to the job if the dish is not perfect looking I will put you up a brand new one rather than waste my time messing with junk that is possibly bent . Every single time I have to mess with something a roofer installed there is a problem. The last one I did a few months ago i wish i took pictures they had the mast and supports totally backwards.

#16 OFFLINE   LCDSpazz

LCDSpazz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

I figure I'll be needing a new roof in about 5 or 6 years, if I'm still a customer then I'm going to call DTV and if they don't come and realign the dish for free I'll just drop DTV. I specifically wanted the dish mounted on the side of the house on the brick wall but the installer didn't have the mounting anchors or whatever and flat out didn't want to install it there. I finally relented and let him install it on the roof. Normally I'd have no problem paying the $50 or whatever change, but that's ridiculous - I didn't even want it put up there. He appears to have done a good job installing on the roof, but this very situation is one of the reasons I would've preferred it NOT be put on the roof.

#17 OFFLINE   netraa

netraa

Godfather

• Registered
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

How about this one...

Tech goes out and installs a new system, 3 days later, they replaced the roof and tech gets popped with a sin7 and the obligatory backcharge because of it.

an upgrade, like an ODU relocate is not punitive to the prior techs numbers.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

I figure I'll be needing a new roof in about 5 or 6 years, if I'm still a customer then I'm going to call DTV and if they don't come and realign the dish for free I'll just drop DTV. I specifically wanted the dish mounted on the side of the house on the brick wall but the installer didn't have the mounting anchors or whatever and flat out didn't want to install it there. I finally relented and let him install it on the roof. Normally I'd have no problem paying the $50 or whatever change, but that's ridiculous - I didn't even want it put up there. He appears to have done a good job installing on the roof, but this very situation is one of the reasons I would've preferred it NOT be put on the roof.

Brick wall mounts are very difficult due to the bits needed and will not pass a QC. It would be considered a custom install and you would have had to pay for that yourself, it would not be a free install which you probably also would have balked at. In your situation, the tech did right whether you like it or not.

#19 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Neither does it cover natural disasters like Irene.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#20 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

I LOVE trying to take the foot off of an ODU mast that's covered in BlackJack tar. Wrenches love the stuff :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

Protected By... spam firewall...And...