Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Roof and Dish Realignment

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

How about this one...

Tech goes out and installs a new system, 3 days later, they replaced the roof and tech gets popped with a sin7 and the obligatory backcharge because of it.

an upgrade, like an ODU relocate is not punitive to the prior techs numbers.

That is very rare. If a tech says, "I'd like to put the dish on your roof", the customer almost always replies, "Well I'm getting a new roof put on in three days".

Then it's on the tech.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

Brick wall mounts are very difficult due to the bits needed and will not pass a QC. It would be considered a custom install and you would have had to pay for that yourself, it would not be a free install which you probably also would have balked at. In your situation, the tech did right whether you like it or not.

Brick mounts are perfectly acceptable mounting surfaces. Chimneys on the other hand are NOT. (This was recently amended to say chimney mounts above the roofline) At least this is the case in my office. I love brickmounts, I can do pull ups from the mast it is so solid!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#23 OFFLINE   dst2012

dst2012

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I advise leaving the dish off the house and let a professional installer replace it after the roofers are gone. I have replaced a lot of dishes because roofers install them into the decking and not roof rafters. Or they use nails instead of lag bolts. Then you have to either call the roofers back out to remove the old foot mount and repair the shingles or live with the old mount still attached to your roof. You can send the directv bill to your insurance for reimbursement. They almost always have to be realigned. Especially with hd.

#24 OFFLINE   dst2012

dst2012

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

Brick wall mounts are very difficult due to the bits needed and will not pass a QC. It would be considered a custom install and you would have had to pay for that yourself, it would not be a free install which you probably also would have balked at. In your situation, the tech did right whether you like it or not.

They won't pass a qc if you mount them in the mortar, but they will hold stronger than mounting to the roof (even hitting rafters). Even if they would pass a qc they still wouldn't be as popular because installers are lazy and typically overbooked. I'm not really complaining though because their disregard to quality installations is job security for me.

#25 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

[quote name='Manctech']I know it doesn't but I think it should! :) At least the roof being replaced. In many cases it is necessary and un-avoidable unlike a dog chewing the cable or a drunken riding lawn mower into a pole! A roof replace is once every 10 years and should be covered under the protection plan especially since most service calls for this issue are less than 30 minutes.[/Q

10 years?? Never heard of a main roof job having to be replaced every 10 years. It should last minimum 20-25 years. I had mine done in 2003 and is guaranteed for 50 years.
I pick things up and I put them down

#26 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Not to argue with those who have had other experiences, but.... My dish is mounted on the side of my house. Two years ago I had my house resided and the dish put very carefully back up in its previous location. I got a good, but not great signal. I thought I could do the fine tuning myself but never could get what I needed. I had the protection plan and finally called D* assuming they would charge me. I told the rep the true story, but the rep said, "I hear you had very high winds the past few days, so maybe that's why you need it re aligned." He said that they could have someone there the next day and because of the protection plan I would not be charged. That's what happened and no charge to me.

SMK

#27 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Depending on one's dish alignment expertise, my situation was this: dish was originally mounted on my home's rear extension which needed a new roof. Long story short, my son and I relocated the dish to the rear of my yard on the extended roof off my detached garage. Used a heavy duty tripod with included 2" o.d.x3' post from SolidSignal and braced with monopoles. Less than 20 minutes of alignment tweaking and was getting mid to high 90s and 100s. Two years and Hurricane Irene later has not budged.

#28 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,948 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

If Irene is the cause of this, you probably get the dish installed for free from DirecTV. They'll just right it off as one of their Irene's repairs.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#29 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:07 AM

If Irene is the cause of this, you probably get the dish installed for free from DirecTV. They'll just right it off as one of their Irene's repairs.

:nono:
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#30 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

Call Directv, pay the 99 bucks, or whatever discounted rate they give you for an ODU relocate, and make sure it's done right.

Dish relocations are $49.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#31 OFFLINE   BarkingPumpkin

BarkingPumpkin

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

With a properly installed rooftop HD dish performed by a DirecTV-hired installer how often should I expect the dish to require a realignment? Every six months? Every year?

What is everyone's experience?

I've asked two installers this question and they both said "never" since they've done the install properly (into rafters, using support arms).

What's more likely to occur to restore service to "spec"? A need to realign a dish, or replace an LNB, or cable (or cable fitting), or something else?

#32 OFFLINE   profmrw

profmrw

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:39 PM

I had siding and roof work done back in August - they charged $50 to setup the dish again. I had the $50 included in my contract that the installer paid the cost.

#33 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

With a properly installed rooftop HD dish performed by a DirecTV-hired installer how often should I expect the dish to require a realignment? Every six months? Every year?

What is everyone's experience?

I've asked two installers this question and they both said "never" since they've done the install properly (into rafters, using support arms).

What's more likely to occur to restore service to "spec"? A need to realign a dish, or replace an LNB, or cable (or cable fitting), or something else?

Mine's been on my roof since Oct 2006, never had it re-aliigned, signals are still 90+ to 100 across all necessary transponders.

#34 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

Depending on one's dish alignment expertise, my situation was this: dish was originally mounted on my home's rear extension which needed a new roof. Long story short, my son and I relocated the dish to the rear of my yard on the extended roof off my detached garage. Used a heavy duty tripod with included 2" o.d.x3' post from SolidSignal and braced with monopoles. Less than 20 minutes of alignment tweaking and was getting mid to high 90s and 100s. Two years and Hurricane Irene later has not budged.

Sandy blew through and the dish never budged. My tripod with monopole bracing definitely made the difference. Still mid 90s to multiple 100s signal strengths.

#35 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:59 PM

I've had DirecTV since 1996 and have never needed a realignment. During that time, I've had 3 dishes replaced. But they were always for upgrades (SD->HD 3LNB -> HD 5LNB).

In the past 2 years, I've been hit with Hurricanes Irene and Sandy, with no adjustments needed.

#36 ONLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,938 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

A properly installed and aligned dish should not ever need realignment under normal conditions/circumstances. Normal does not include hurricanes or tornadoes.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...