Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Input to tuner 1 or tuner 2

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:18 PM

From day one I have been having pixelation problems on my new 722. Dish has come out and rewired the house & moved the dish. Today I discovered a History channel recording from last night was totally unwatchable. I switched back to live TV and had very pixelation on the History channel. I went in to the menu to check signal strength and noticed the receiver was set for input to tuner 2, I switched that to tuner 1 and the pixelation is completely gone. I cannot find anything in the manual about the different tuners. Should I have the receiver set to one or two? If two is having pixelation problems should the receiver be replaced?
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Well - both tuners need to be hooked up, but if you're getting that much pixelation and it is hooked up right - I'd say you need a service call.

Pixelation can be caused by either your reciver or a failing LNB (or possibly bad aiming).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#3 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:50 PM

I didn't unhook anything. I changed tuners on the "point dish screen". BUT now I find that a show I recorded this afternoon is completely pixelated also. This was with the new setting.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#4 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

I didn't unhook anything. I changed tuners on the "point dish screen". BUT now I find that a show I recorded this afternoon is completely pixelated also. This was with the new setting.

Hi Steve, I am sorry that this pixelation issue is still occurring. There is not a way to change the tuners from the point dish screen. Did you happen to run a check switch test when you were in that screen? If not can you please do so and tell me if you get an error message.

Then lets go to TV1 and place the receiver in Single Mode and then using the "Swap" button on the bottom of the remote, place both tuners on the History Channel and then please tell me if you are only having the distorted picture on one of the inputs.

Were you home when the tech was there on 11-28? Did he check the full system for the pixelation issue?

Also on a side note, has Blockbuster gotten your e-mail address changed yet?

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#5 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 07:53 PM

Pixellization on one tuner, but not the other is usually a sign of a low-frequency obstruction (barrel, wall plate, RG59 line, etc.) somewhere in the signal path. The low-freq obstruction causes problems with the signal for the 2nd tuner as it is band-stacked in the higher frequency range and is interrupted by said blockage. Tuner 1 operates fine because it is band-stacked lower and isn't blocked.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Hi Steve, I am sorry that this pixelation issue is still occurring. There is not a way to change the tuners from the point dish screen. Did you happen to run a check switch test when you were in that screen? If not can you please do so and tell me if you get an error message.

Then lets go to TV1 and place the receiver in Single Mode and then using the "Swap" button on the bottom of the remote, place both tuners on the History Channel and then please tell me if you are only having the distorted picture on one of the inputs.

Were you home when the tech was there on 11-28? Did he check the full system for the pixelation issue?

Also on a side note, has Blockbuster gotten your e-mail address changed yet?

Mary,
I did your test as you asked above. No error nor error code.
When I did the swap test on the History channel tuner 2 showed A LOT pf pixelation (see pic below) while tuner 1 was clear.
I have been here each time the techs have come out, they have moved the dish and run new coax from the dish to the receiver. Their latest claim is my microwave internet signal is interfering with the Sat. 129 signal. The tech claims the dish signal and the microwave signal are crossing paths and causing the problem...............I think tuner 2 is bad. The tech wants to come out next week and move my DISH dish to the other end of the house so that the signals won't "cross". I think he needs to replace the receiver.

Blockbuster has NOT taken care of the email problem. Ray C @ DISH has logged into my account and seen the problem first hand.

Here is a pic of the pixelation on tuner 2

Attached Thumbnails

• 2011-12-03_20-53-48_910.jpg

Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#7 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 360 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Thank you for doing the troubleshooting steps for me,Steve. According to your account notes, you have had the receiver replaced 3 times and is still having this issue. That pretty much says that the problem is not with the receiver. Passing the Check Switch Test tells us it it not signal related. The technicians do normally carry replacement receivers on the trucks so he decides it is warranted he will replace the receiver.

I contacted Blockbuster again and the work ticket is still pending for the e-mail change on your account. We will continue to work to get this issue resolved and I will check again when I return on Tuesday.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday-Wednesday 2:30pm-11:00pm, Thursday 1:30pm-10:00pm (MST)

#8 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 08:10 AM

Thank you for doing the troubleshooting steps for me,Steve. According to your account notes, you have had the receiver replaced 3 times and is still having this issue. That pretty much says that the problem is not with the receiver. Passing the Check Switch Test tells us it it not signal related. The technicians do normally carry replacement receivers on the trucks so he decides it is warranted he will replace the receiver.

I contacted Blockbuster again and the work ticket is still pending for the e-mail change on your account. We will continue to work to get this issue resolved and I will check again when I return on Tuesday.

Mary
The first "replacement" was when my 622 stopped working (totally dead), it was replaced with a 722 which lasted 3 hours then had a hard drive failure.
The pixelation got real bad with this newest 722. You can't blame the previous two receiver replacements on pixelation problems.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#9 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

... they have moved the dish and run new coax from the dish to the receiver.

All the way to the receiver? As in you see them pulling a new cable through the wall right behind the receiver? When I move a dish as a tech I typically only rewire from the Dish to the ground block, not from the ground block to the receiver (unless it needs it). I still say you have a low-frequency item in the signal path somewhere. Could possibly be a defective separator/triplexer too.

Their latest claim is my microwave internet signal is interfering with the Sat. 129 signal. The tech claims the dish signal and the microwave signal are crossing paths and causing the problem...............

This can happen, but it would affect both tuners, not just one or the other. Seems unlikely to me.

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

I don't see where anyone has had you switch the inputs to the receiver. There should be one cable that has a Y on in, with two inputs to the Receiver. That is for the two tuners. Switch those two inputs.

If the problem remains exactly the same, it is the receiver almost for sure. If the the problem is now on the other tuner, it is something before the receiver.
When go to do this, are the two inputs connected tightly? If one is not that could just be the problem too....

#11 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

All the way to the receiver? As in you see them pulling a new cable through the wall right behind the receiver?

They ran new from the dish, under the house, into the house to the back of the wall plate. From the plate to the receiver is older (less than 2 feet of coax but a lot of hardware).
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#12 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Spoke to my local DISH tech today. He had me call and have a new receiver and a new separator sent out. I should have those here and installed in a couple of days.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#13 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

Did you ever take my advice and try switching inputs? It is just about certain to tell you where to start looking for the problem....

Edited by tampa8, 07 December 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#14 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

New receiver and separator installed today, still pixelating............:(:(
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#15 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

They ran new from the dish, under the house, into the house to the back of the wall plate. From the plate to the receiver is older (less than 2 feet of coax but a lot of hardware).

It doesn't matter how short it is if it's RG59. Also what do you mean by "a lot of hardware"? Do you have to cable going through a surge protector or something? Are all barrels (splices) in line blue in color (including the wall plate)? Pics can help a lot here.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

It doesn't matter how short it is if it's RG59. Also what do you mean by "a lot of hardware"? Do you have to cable going through a surge protector or something? Are all barrels (splices) in line blue in color (including the wall plate)? Pics can help a lot here.

There are 4 separators/splitters, all installed by DISH. None of the coax is going through a surge protector. Any/all barrels are blue and installed by DISH. The DISH tech tells me none of the coax is RG 59.

With the new separator and receiver the pixelation is now on both tuners BUT it is not like the long term pixelation I had before. Now it is just a very short burst that last about 1 second.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#17 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

[quote name='Steve H']There are 4 separators/splitters, all installed by DISH. [/quote[

4?? I can think of needing 3 for some installs, not sure how a 4th would factor in though.

Well, I'm kind of out of ideas then. Maybe it is your internet connection causing interference. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

#18 OFFLINE   Jesse11

Jesse11

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

hi Steve H,

I am sorry you are in this trouble :(.I am out of this ,I hope you are able to get in touch with someone who can help both you :)
Be a friend to everyone,never know when you may need their help

#19 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

[quote name='gtal98'][quote name='Steve H']There are 4 separators/splitters, all installed by DISH. [/quote[

4?? I can think of needing 3 for some installs, not sure how a 4th would factor in though.

Well, I'm kind of out of ideas then. Maybe it is your internet connection causing interference. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.[/QUOTE]

the 4th one is a splitter that we are using for the antenna for the remote on TV 2.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#20 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:18 AM

Steve - you need to be very specific about what is hooked up to what. A "splitter" that would work fine for OTA / RF distribution will not work on the LNB cable.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...