Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Internet microwave interference?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

I used a microwave link to get my internet service, I have for about 4 years. As many of you have read in posts in this forum I have been having pixelation problems ever since I upgraded to a 722 from my 622 about three weeks ago. The problem was very apparent with the 2nd 722 as the first one only lasted about 3 hours till the hard drive died. Dish has been out to address this pixelation problem without very much success. They have replaced my two dishes (one with a dual lnb for 110 & 119 and a 24" dish for 129) with a new DISH 1000. A few day later they moved the new dish west about five feet and they replaced the coax from the dish to the receiver. I am still having the same amount of pixelation. The lead tech tells me that the microwave signal that I receive my internet on is intersecting with the dish signal, now they want to move the dish again, this time about 60 feet east. (all locations used have complete clear sky with no obstructions what so ever. I have spoken to my internet provider and have been told that the Dish signal and the microwave signal are so far apart on the spectrum there is no way one could/should interfere with the other. The majority of my problems are on tuner 2, tuner 1 seems to have very little or no pixelation at all. Does anybody have the facts on the possibility of microwave interference in a installation like this?
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? So. Utah

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

If you shut down your internet system altogether does the pixelation problem go away?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 ONLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:08 AM

Have you tried moving and reorienting the DVR itself? Sometimes noise gets directly into devices without going in through the antenna/tuner. I once owned an answering machine that recorded a local radio station with each message.

#4 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

If you shut down your internet system altogether does the pixelation problem go away?

I have shut off power to the microwave and still have had pixelation. I have not disconnected the microwave coax from the internet receiver....yet.

Have you tried moving and reorienting the DVR itself? Sometimes noise gets directly into devices without going in through the antenna/tuner. I once owned an answering machine that recorded a local radio station with each message.

The DVR is at the opposite end of the house (~50 feet away) from all internet stuff, same place for years.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#5 ONLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

Yeah but if I'm following you, what's been there for years has been a different model with a different circuit board. (ie: would likely be susceptible to different noises coming from different angles.)

For example, the answering machine before and after the one that picked up the radio station were both radio-free in the same location.

So I think it's still worth a shot.

#6 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Yeah but if I'm following you, what's been there for years has been a different model with a different circuit board. (ie: would likely be susceptible to different noises coming from different angles.)

For example, the answering machine before and after the one that picked up the radio station were both radio-free in the same location.

So I think it's still worth a shot.

The other problem with moving the DVR is my wife would have to redo the entire living room......................and the coax from the dish would have to be rerun.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#7 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

I vote bogus on the microwave interference inless th emicrowave is ported directly into your lnb, things juist don't add up.

My conjecture is either a bad TV2 tuner or as someone suggested a poor barrel connection that chokes off the high frequency band from your dish (TV2 is the high band tuner from the seperator).

Check that all your barrel connections are light blue, not white - if that passes get the receiver replaced since this is the first tuner that has had this anomalie.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#8 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

Dish is shipping me a replacement 722 and a new separator, hopefully that will take care of the problem.
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

cross your fingers :)

#10 OFFLINE   Steve H

Steve H

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 625 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Replacement receiver and separator installed today..........STILL having pixelation. I guess next step is to move the dish to the opposite end of the house to avoid the dish signal crossing the path of the microwave signal. Anybody have any other suggestions???? Maybe I should go back to a 622................:confused::confused::confused::confused:
Samsung 55" LED
Yamaha RX-V565
Bose Acoustimass 6
Hopper & 1 Joey

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

Get spectrum analyzer, simple one is based on PCI card [BLSA] and free software will cost you $150+.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...