Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

I currently have 3 hr20 and 1 hr22 all with linksys gaming adapters attached to connect to the internet. I ordered an hr34 and will have to upgrade to swm 16 for that to work. I am thinking of MRV but not sure at this point.

My questions are:

1. Will I still need my gaming adapters for internet access if I get MRV?
2. If not, will the wireless digital cinema connection kit be something that I can use for all my boxes to connect to the internet?

Really, just curious if I should have a different setup then I do now. Thanks

Jim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

I currently have 3 hr20 and 1 hr22 all with linksys gaming adapters attached to connect to the internet. I ordered an hr34 and will have to upgrade to swm 16 for that to work. I am thinking of MRV but not sure at this point.

My questions are:

2. If not, will the wireless digital cinema connection kit be something that I can use for all my boxes to connect to the internet?

Jim

You'll get DECA adapters for your other DVR's if you order MRV. Add in a CCK or the wireless version and that will add Internet to all of your receivers. You only need one CCK.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:50 AM

My questions are:

Really, just curious if I should have a different setup then I do now. Thanks

Jim

this is the easy one: yes.
Seems like what you're going to want will be the connected home networking [DECA], which would need some DECA adapters for your HR20 & HR22. While you don't "need" internet for MRV, to get the features you have now, the DECA network should be connected with a CCK. There are two types, one is wireless and the other is hardwired only. One of these added to the DECA network will give access for all receiver connected.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:10 AM

this is the easy one: yes.
Seems like what you're going to want will be the connected home networking [DECA], which would need some DECA adapters for your HR20 & HR22. While you don't "need" internet for MRV, to get the features you have now, the DECA network should be connected with a CCK. There are two types, one is wireless and the other is hardwired only. One of these added to the DECA network will give access for all receiver connected.

Let me clarify, I will keep the gaming adapters that I have connected to the units and if I get MRV I will get the deca connectors and should also get 1 CCK? Where will the CCK connect and if I have this, which I thought was for internet access, why do I still need all the gaming adapters?

Thanks so much for your answers, I hope I understood you correctly.

Jim

#5 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

Let me clarify, I will keep the gaming adapters that I have connected to the units and if I get MRV I will get the deca connectors and should also get 1 CCK? Where will the CCK connect and if I have this, which I thought was for internet access, why do I still need all the gaming adapters?

If you get a CCK or wireless CCK you won't use the gaming adapters at all.
The CCK will add Internet to your coax network and will provide access to all of the receivers.

The DECA adapter will plug into the ethernet port on the back of your receiver and will totally replace your gaming adapters.

#6 OFFLINE   LoweBoy

LoweBoy

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

VOS

Will the HR34 Ethernet port serve as a gateway to the deca network for Internet connectivity to the whole network? Currently my router is connected between deca module and my main HR20 to add the Internet connectivity. I ordered HR34 yesterday and tring to figure out if I need some additional equipment if/when I retire HR20.

Thanks
LoweBoy
1 HR34-700 -- Pioneer VSX-1021 -- Samsung 55" B8k
1 HR24-500 -- Samsung 46" C8k
1 HR20-100 -- Vizio 32"
1 H25-700-- Vizio 32"
1 H25-500-- Samsung 40"

nomad & MRV all self installed
iPads & iPhones & AppleTV

#7 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

VOS

Will the HR34 Ethernet port serve as a gateway to the deca network for Internet connectivity to the whole network? Currently my router is connected between deca module and my main HR20 to add the Internet connectivity. I ordered HR34 yesterday and tring to figure out if I need some additional equipment if/when I retire HR20.

Thanks

It does, but isn't the preferred method [why :confused:]
For the cost [about $30] for the self installed CCK, you can keep any traffic from going through the HR34.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

If you get a CCK or wireless CCK you won't use the gaming adapters at all.
The CCK will add Internet to your coax network and will provide access to all of the receivers.

The DECA adapter will plug into the ethernet port on the back of your receiver and will totally replace your gaming adapters.

Since I already have the 4 gaming adapters at a substantial cost, is there a good reason to buy CCK then and eliminate the gaming adapters? I know cck is another $100 but want to know why or should I make the change?

Thanks

Jim

#9 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

Since I already have the 4 gaming adapters at a substantial cost, is there a good reason to buy CCK then and eliminate the gaming adapters? I know cck is another $100 but want to know why or should I make the change?

Thanks

Jim

I had a gaming adapter on one of my HR23s before I did the whole home upgrade. It didn't always work with the iPad app and it at times just didn't connect to the Internet.

I fished ethernet up the wall to eliminate it and was a lot happier. I'm totally thrilled with the CCK.

I'm thinking that you should be able to still use them because you have to connect an ethernet cable between the DECA and DVR for internet with the CCK, plugging your gaming adapters in should work as well.

#10 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 12:58 PM

Thanks

Jim

Once you've gone to DECA, you will need to bridge to your home network for internet access.
This will be one device, so if you must/want to have this wireless, you could either get the BBDECA and connect your gaming adapter, or go with the wireless CCK, which on the DirecTV website [for self install] is $25 + shipping.
A.K.A VOS

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

I'm thinking that you should be able to still use them because you have to connect an ethernet cable between the DECA and DVR for internet with the CCK, plugging your gaming adapters in should work as well.

Not sure what you're trying here, but it looks like a switch would be needed.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Not sure what you're trying here, but it looks like a switch would be needed.

No, I'm saying that instead of using the ethernet jumper between the DECA adapter and DVR, plug the gaming adapter into the DVR.

I let my installer get away with one of the ethernet jumpers during my upgrade. I left the ethernet cable plugged in for several days until I worked up the energy to fish the cable through my cabinet. It worked fine with whole home and VOD.

He should, given what I experienced, be able to keep his game adapters in addition to DECA.

#13 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

No, I'm saying that instead of using the ethernet jumper between the DECA adapter and DVR, plug the gaming adapter into the DVR.

I let my installer get away with one of the ethernet jumpers during my upgrade. I left the ethernet cable plugged in for several days until I worked up the energy to fish the cable through my cabinet. It worked fine with whole home and VOD.

He should, given what I experienced, be able to keep his game adapters in addition to DECA.

"I still don't get it"
Why have DECA and not plug it in, or why use one DVR over wireless, and if this is with the second ethernet port on the older DVRs, then this too isn't a good idea, which is why/where a switch should be used.

While this isn't a supported method if one wanted to use their wireless adapter it should be sort of like this:
Posted Image
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Once you've gone to DECA, you will need to bridge to your home network for internet access.
This will be one device, so if you must/want to have this wireless, you could either get the BBDECA and connect your gaming adapter, or go with the wireless CCK, which on the DirecTV website [for self install] is $25 + shipping.

I just looked at my account and it says self install for the CCK is 79 plus tax and shipping. Is there somewhere else where it is $25?

#15 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

I just looked at my account and it says self install for the CCK is 79 plus tax and shipping. Is there somewhere else where it is $25?

Guess not. The price is related to your account, so if that's what it shows, then it is different than mine has been showing for a while.
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

The Cinema Connection Kit showed $79 before I had my system converted to SWM. Now that that's all done it is $25 in my account online.

#17 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 09:21 PM

Now THIS is the thread I've been waiting for :).

I've got a Netgear gaming adapter hooked to a BBDECA adapter as my hookup to the internet for my Whole Home system. I really wanted to use the gaming adapter on the PS3 that's in the same rack for the faster N transfer speed when I use Netflix but splitting the feeds with a switch didn't seem to be working to well, seemed like my router would lose track of the stuff every once in a while.

So...I was looking at buying another gaming adapter for $70.....and didn't want to.

But now that I see (I checked) I can order the wireless cinema connection kit for $25 (plus $6.99 shipping).....sure looks like a better deal and I'd end up with full time, separate N wireless feeds to each "side" of my system.

Thanks....:)

#18 OFFLINE   MrsDowFire

MrsDowFire

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

I have a brand new CCK never used that was sold to me. I would be willing to sell you mine for the price I paid plus shipping.

I purchased for $25 plus $6.99 shipping. I you wanted to purchase from me I would sell to you for the $31.99 plus shipping to get to you. We could use paypal for the transaction if your interested.

#19 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have a brand new CCK never used that was sold to me. I would be willing to sell you mine for the price I paid plus shipping.

I purchased for $25 plus $6.99 shipping. I you wanted to purchase from me I would sell to you for the $31.99 plus shipping to get to you. We could use paypal for the transaction if your interested.

I am going to call directv and see what they will sell me the whole package for. I will let you know, thanks.

#20 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I do have one additional question on MRV

I will have the hr 34, 3 hr 20 and 1 hr 22. I will have a swim 16 installed and 4 deca's. I also see others talking about BBDECA, not exactly sure what that is or if it is needed for my configuration? Also, we have been talking about the CCK, which I will get.

So my question is is there anything else I will need to get this connected?

Thanks

Jim

spam firewall