Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

self install connection to internet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sportflyer

sportflyer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

I am new to this forum .I have recently installed directv .

The system has one green splitter at the distribution box then two RG6 runs, one to the MBR and the other to the entertainment center in the Family Room . The receivers are HR25-100 in MBR and HR24-200 in the Family Room. There is a power inserter in the family room where the HR24-200 is located. I would like to add internet to this DirecTV arrangement. I also have a ethernet connection at the entertainment center because I have a WDTV Live media streamer for streaming movies from my computer. It's easy to add more ethernet connections because I also installed a ethernet switch .

Can I use a cat5 connection for the Cinema Connection kit without a pro install since I can install it myself? The Directv site seems to indicate that self install is only possible using RF and yes I have a RF router but its only a wireless g not n. I know that wireless g connection is only good enough to stream 720p movies, it starts to stutter when streaming 1080p. Is a wireless g good enough for the direcTV system?

Tks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

I am new to this forum .I have recently installed directv .

The system has one green splitter at the distribution box then two RG6 runs, one to the MBR and the other to the entertainment center in the Family Room . The receivers are HR25-100 in MBR and HR24-200 in the Family Room. There is a power inserter in the family room where the HR24-200 is located. I would like to add internet to this DirecTV arrangement. I also have a ethernet connection at the entertainment center because I have a WDTV Live media streamer for streaming movies from my computer. It's easy to add more ethernet connections because I also installed a ethernet switch .

Can I use a cat5 connection for the Cinema Connection kit without a pro install since I can install it myself? The Directv site seems to indicate that self install is only possible using RF and yes I have a RF router but its only a wireless g not n. I know that wireless g connection is only good enough to stream 720p movies, it starts to stutter when streaming 1080p. Is a wireless g good enough for the direcTV system?

Tks

That CCK can be used wired [I have one and have done it], "but" you won't be streaming HD over it anyway [well you would if you use DirecTV2PC]. All of the internet usage is well below what a "g" wireless can do.
I actually use "g" and DirecTV2PC and it works well even with OTA recordings which are the highest bit rates.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   sportflyer

sportflyer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Tks for the quick response . Since the CCK internet connection is not used for streaming movies , then what is being transferred over the CCK internet connection ? Tks

#4 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,551 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

you save the file (movie) to the HARD DRIVE -then view it-not stream it.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#5 OFFLINE   sportflyer

sportflyer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

I have a Ethernet connection and an ethernet switch right within the entertainment center. I have the Media Streamer and my Panasonic TV connected so I thought a wired CCK should be easy to connect with a 1 -2 splitter between the power inserter and the HR24. However I dont think Directv will sell me one .

#6 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,856 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

I have a Ethernet connection and an ethernet switch right within the entertainment center. I have the Media Streamer and my Panasonic TV connected so I thought a wired CCK should be easy to connect with a 1 -2 splitter between the power inserter and the HR24. However I dont think Directv will sell me one .

Check your online account and see if there is a "self installed" CCK. While this would be the wireless CCK, it can be used wired too.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...