Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Chopper - The Build Off

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Poll: Who won the Build Off (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Who won the Build Off

1. Junior (35 votes [83.33%])

Percentage of vote: 83.33%

2. Senior (2 votes [4.76%])

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

3. Jesse (5 votes [11.90%])

Percentage of vote: 11.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Lets put this up for a bit of a vote.

As for me, I think Jr won hands down. Just an incredible looking bike.

Sr didn't even build a bike and while it's pretty cool, it's not a bike.

Jesse's bike just looks like 100's of other bikes you'd see on the street. Nothing really special about it.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:50 PM

Jesse built a bike, the other two built (very cool) extravagant theme mobiles. Junior & Senior couldn't build a bike alone if their lives depended on it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

The only thing that doesn't really make Jr's a bike is the 1 gallon gas tank.

It's perfectly rideable.

And while you can ride Jesse's further, you can't see over the handle bars (did you see the shots of him riding it and trying to look under the handle bars to see?). IMO, that's not much of a riding bike either.

So then it comes down to which looks better. Jr's.

I"m pretty sure the contest was about the coolest looking Chopper - not which traveled the furthest on a tank of gas (or battery).

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Results of the show:

Spoiler

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:10 PM

I"m pretty sure the contest was about the coolest looking Chopper - not which traveled the furthest on a tank of gas (or battery).

No, it wasn't about the coolest chopper...It was an unfair popularity contest. Unfair because it's on a show that's watched and followed by OCC & Junior fans. Senior has no fans.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

Perhaps, but there's a reason Junior is more popular than Senior - he makes better bikes.

As for Jesse, I would certainly have chosen him if his bike was better than Junior's, but IMO it wasn't. Great craftsmanship, but too plain looking for a contest.

#7 OFFLINE   djnaldo

djnaldo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

Jesse built a bike, the other two built (very cool) extravagant theme mobiles. Junior & Senior couldn't build a bike alone if their lives depended on it.

Jesse didn't build his by himself either. I'm sure he could but I also think Jr. and Sr. could as well. Remember they didn't always have a team behind them.

I don't think any of them are very practical to ride for a long period of time.

#8 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

My thoughts were the show was fun to watch and entertaining, regarding the bikes, well. Senior's wasn't a bike. More a fun machine run on batteries; Jesse's bike was awesome and a true chopper bike, would it be comfortable to ride for a long time, no. Like someone said up thread, you couldn't see around the handle bars. But the thing was neat. Now Juniors was a great themed bike. Very original very unigue and would probably be awesome to ride. The whole gas tank being the exhaust was awesome, with the smoke maker and all.

Being built, well lets talk about senior's, they had some other racing frame building factory build the frame they had a engineering school install the battery cell and driving apperatise. They pretty much built the track stuff and steering in the rear. Jesse's was built by hand from the ground up and very original with all the blacksmith work, but he had help too. And Junior's was all done by them guys accept for maybe the wheels and the frame. Otherwise they built a wonderful HUGE bike.

Regarding the whole, 'oh you only have 1 gallon fuel tank' so it's for show and a little riding but it rides, you try the ape hangers that Jesse built. I wouldn't last 20 miles before the feeling in my hands gave out.

My vote was for Junior because of the originality and all around awesome themed bike but a close second was Jesse's with Seniors bike looking like a futuristic snowmobile.

The whole trash talk from Jesse didn't help either, I had a lot more respect for him before these episodes but I guess that is just his style so whatever.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#9 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

No, it wasn't about the coolest chopper...It was an unfair popularity contest. Unfair because it's on a show that's watched and followed by OCC & Junior fans. Senior has no fans.

Sigma, my husband agreed with everything you said - in both posts.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,527 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 08 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

Sigma, my husband agreed with everything you said - in both posts.

Smart man. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   yogi

yogi

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:28 PM

You would kill yourself riding Jr. bike. Look at the way it was made, there's no support for the wheels. It's a great bike to look at. and that's what it was built for, to be looked at.(He don't build the rims, frame,engine, and I think the front forks)
Jesse's bike you can ride and look good goin' down the road.

If it was a a bike build contest in Daytona or Sturgis. I don't think Jr. would win.

#12 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

You would kill yourself riding Jr. bike. Look at the way it was made, there's no support for the wheels. It's a great bike to look at. and that's what it was built for, to be looked at.(He don't build the rims, frame,engine, and I think the front forks)
Jesse's bike you can ride and look good goin' down the road.

Let's not even bother looking at all the monostrut landing gear on decades and decades old airplanes... coincidentally where Jr. got the inspiration for the forks and swingarm on his bike... look at contemporary Ducati and MV Agusta street scooters and their "no support for the wheels" single sided swingarms. If you have no engineering knowledge don't challenge it.

The bike Jr. built in eminently more roadworthy than the hardtail Jesse built. You cross the state line on Jesse's bike and you'll be pissin' blood.

If it was a a bike build contest in Daytona or Sturgis. I don't think Jr. would win.

Those who build will appreciate what Jr. and his team did and those who buy couldn't even see what Jesse really did.

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Let's not even bother looking at all the monostrut landing gear on decades and decades old airplanes... coincidentally where Jr. got the inspiration for the forks and swingarm on his bike... look at contemporary Ducati and MV Agusta street scooters and their "no support for the wheels" single sided swingarms. If you have no engineering knowledge don't challenge it.

The bike Jr. built in eminently more roadworthy than the hardtail Jesse built. You cross the state line on Jesse's bike and you'll be pissin' blood.

Those who build will appreciate what Jr. and his team did and those who buy couldn't even see what Jesse really did.

Have to strongly disagree with you. My husband and a group of his friends, who build and paint bikes, as well as ride, liked Jessie's much better. And feel that he has a much stronger grasp on building almost an entire bike himself.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:24 PM

Have to strongly disagree with you. My husband and a group of his friends, who build and paint bikes, as well as ride, liked Jessie's much better. And feel that he has a much stronger grasp on building almost an entire bike himself.

Does your husband or his friends ride rigid frame Harleys? If they haven't put in seat time on a rigid frame bike they are hardly in a position to comment on how rideable one is. Rigid frame bikes are truly cruel and unusual punishment even for young strapping riders. I was such a rider many, many decades ago on knuckle and pan rigids and pay dearly for that now. Everyone remembers the America bike Fonda rode and that nice pan Hopper rode. Look good... sure do. Style points out the ying yang. Ride good, no way no how.

I'll agree that Jesse has a stronger grasp... he has always seemed a man who holds his own and after his childish ramblings on the show and in the press it seems he still has a strong grasp.

BTW, Jesse doesn't build engines or transmissions.

Edited by subeluvr, 10 December 2011 - 09:31 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:56 AM

Senior knew deep down inside he couldn't design/build a bike that would compete with his son (see Cadillac bike build off a few months ago) so he built a novelty machine. He kind of made a joke out of the whole competition, at least that's my opinion.

While Jesse did build MOST of the stuff on his bike, where's the innovation? Senior could have rolled out one of OCC's production bikes and it would have been just as nice as what Jesse brought to the table. Oh and he's got to be one of the most arrogant jerks on the planet. I was happy to see him get smoked by Jr. He kept saying he builds a bike you can actually ride. Ha ha ha, I'd like to see someone ride that rigid frame bike across country. Sure ok.

PJD deserved the win. Their bike, while a little gaudy for my tastes was hands down the nicest creation on that stage. I'm happy to see PJD do well.

Just my opinion.

Edited by braven, 10 December 2011 - 10:02 PM.

HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#16 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

braven,

More like... Senior knew deep down inside JASON couldn't design/build a bike that would compete... just like the Jason designed OCC Cadillac bike fell way short of the mark.

The best thing OCC has going for it is Rick. As much as I admire Rick for his technical skill, his even handed politics at work, and he just seems to be a nice guy he's not quite the fabricator that Brendon Thompson is. Brendon and Jr just seem to be on the same page and there's almost a 1+1=4 thing going on between them.

I'd like to see what Rick and Brendon could do together along with Vinnie and Jr.

Edited by subeluvr, 10 December 2011 - 08:48 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   yogi

yogi

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

First off you don't steer a plane in a corner doing 80mph.
I was talking about the stress on the hub from
A) the high radius of the tire
B) the narrow width of the tire
C) the rigidness of the back fork. (it's not a swing arm)
Even Jr. said it a sketchy around corners. But, If you have no engineering knowledge. You won't been able to figure that out.
I rode rigid bikes, Never piss blood. I surely wouldn't do it know. But after the first 100 miles of pain. Your body's so numb you don't feel a thing after that.

#18 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

Jess's bike was just a bit run-of-the-mill for me. Great looking bike, but not anything original about it. Senior's was a.....well, I don't know what it was.

Junior's bike was the winner in my book, by far. Most orignal, collest looking bike of the bunch. The exhaust out of the tank was very cool. And I loved all of the rivets that were not just for show. A lot of time and skill went into that tank.

#19 OFFLINE   subeluvr

subeluvr

Icon

• 534 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I rode rigid bikes, Never piss blood. I surely wouldn't do it know. But after the first 100 miles of pain. Your body's so numb you don't feel a thing after that.

At about 100 miles the numbness arrives and pissin' blood starts at around 250 miles... ;)

Edited by subeluvr, 12 December 2011 - 05:13 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

I just managed to get through the episode last night - took me several nights to watch it all.

My thoughts:

1) Jesse James is an idiot.
2) Jesse James is an idiot.
3) Jesse James is an idiot.

Jesse's comments about Junior being a "cake decorator" are just stupid. The only thing Jesse build that Junior didn't was the frame. They both built their tanks and tins. They both bought engines & transmissions that they dropped into the frame.

The one thing I will say is that based purely off of what's been shown on TV, Jesse does appear to be a better fabricator than Junior. I don't agree with Jesse's assertion that Junior is completely incompetent, but I thought when it came right down to the nuts and bolts of it, Jesse probably had more skills. But Junior gets the edge in creativity and coming up with something original and interesting to look at (even if he does tend to go overboard with the "theme bikes").

There are no words to describe Senior's monstrosity other than Jason Pohl is a moron and shouldn't be designing bikes. He should be demoted back to the monkey who draws pictures for someone who knows how to build bikes.

As far as the bikes themselves.... Jesse's bike was nothing special, IMO. I thought his tank was gorgeous. I wasn't a big fan of the overall layout of the bike, with the really tall frame and handlebars that were a quarter of a mile above your head. Overall, I didn't think his bike was any more roadworthy than Juniors, despite Jesse's insistance to the contrary.

I wasn't a huge fan of Junior's, but he came up with an idea and it was interesting to look at. The tank was amazing. The styling, overall, I thought was better than Jesse's, even if it wasn't my favorite thing in the world.

Overall, I think comparing Junior and Jesse is a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Jesse is building bikes for a different crowd than Junior. Jesse is really building bikes for bike people, while Junior is building bikes for corporate America. I think it was Jesse who said that he'd win hands down if the voting was at Sturgis rather than online at Discovery.. and I don't know that I agree with the hands down part, but I think it would have been a lot closer voting if it were "bike people" voting rather than joe schmo on the internet.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

spam firewall