Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

adding a xbox to my network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:09 AM

I am unable to find an answer, but can I add a xbox and blu-ray dvd to Directv MRV SWN if I put a hub from the cable that plugs into my HR24. From the HUB I plug into the HR24 , Blu-ray player, and xbox360? From what I can tell this looks possible.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:17 AM

I am unable to find an answer, but can I add a xbox and blu-ray dvd to Directv MRV SWN if I put a hub from the cable that plugs into my HR24. From the HUB I plug into the HR24 , Blu-ray player, and xbox360? From what I can tell this looks possible.

Thanks

:confused: SWiM, MRV, & HR24 should mean there isn't an ethernet cable plugged in to the HR24, as the coax networking should be used.
Hubs are about the worst thing to add to an ethernet MRV for more connections, since they flood the network with excess packets.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

I would like to use the RJ-45 that is connected to my HR24 and I use a hub for simplicity since I was hoping to obtain my ip from my dhcp server to support the xbox and blu-ray player.

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

I would like to use the RJ-45 that is connected to my HR24 and I use a hub for simplicity since I was hoping to obtain my ip from my dhcp server to support the xbox and blu-ray player.

This sounds like you have MRV through "unsupported", so you're free to do whatever you want. Adding a switch would be a better idea than a hub.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

A Small Switch would be much better (Switch has bi directional data ports) A HUB port transmits one way at a time.

Your Xbox will work much better attached to a switch.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#6 OFFLINE   Kodok

Kodok

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:04 PM

The unsupported way, and I think it's a cleaner approach would be to split the RG6 coax line going to your HR24 using 'DirecTV approved' 2 way splitter and connect the other end to another DirecTV CCK (DECA). This, of course, assuming that you already have DirecTV CCK to download your movies to your HR through the internet.

And yes, I agree with everyone to use a switch instead of a hub.

#7 OFFLINE   gilviv

gilviv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

I have a switch that my XBOX plugs into and all works great. I got the switch on a recomendation from someone here at the forum, when I wanted to to have 2 HDDVRs seeing the internet from the same location(prior to whole home upgrade) I later added the XBOX and all where on the switch.

DirecTV since July 2006, WholeHome & HDDVR Service
Slimline5 SWM-LNB Dish to:
3x HR24/100s #1 w/AM21N via HDMI to LG 42LH90/240hz Full LED, #2 w/AM21N & #3 both via HDMI to 2-LG 32LK330/60hz LCDs
1x HR23/700 via HDMI> Sharp 26" LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...