Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Online On A Shared Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:17 AM

I wanted to watch DISH Online on a shared computer recently, but I received a message that I needed to upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Internet Explorer or install Firefox. It was running Internet Explorer 7. I am wondering if it would be possible to have either Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox on a USB thumb drive and use that to watch DISH Online?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

I'm terrified to ask why IE7 hasn't been upgraded yet.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

He's probably on a work pc and shouldn't be watching videos in the first place. ;)

A lot of companies are still on older software for various reasons. My company is just now upgrading it's pc's to Win 7 from Win XP and we still have IE6 on those pc's. The reason is, we have software that only runs on IE6 and never upgraded. Now that there is a viabale Win 7 version of that software, we're moving onward. Although, we will be on IE8 and not IE9.

#4 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

These are the minimum requirements for slinging:

Hardware & Software Requirements for DISH Online
Minimum PC Requirements
Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates
Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent with 256 MB of RAM
Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 3.5 or above

High-Speed Internet connection

but as the previous post indicated, there may be a restriction from your work PC and network. It would need to be installed on the PC. Thanks.

I wanted to watch DISH Online on a shared computer recently, but I received a message that I needed to upgrade to a newer version of Microsoft Internet Explorer or install Firefox. It was running Internet Explorer 7. I am wondering if it would be possible to have either Internet Explorer 8 or Firefox on a USB thumb drive and use that to watch DISH Online?

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,920 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

It's the same thing here where I work. IE7 is needed for a huge Oracle app's web interface that is the driving force of the whole institution.

We were always behind in browsers due to that app. Fortunately there is no restriction to using Firefox, which can be the latest version.

BTW: unless you have admin rights you cannot install Firefox. You can't "run" it from a jump drive in Windows (no matter which version you are running).
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:14 PM

BTW: unless you have admin rights you cannot install Firefox. You can't "run" it from a jump drive in Windows (no matter which version you are running).

Sure you can.

http://portableapps....irefox_portable

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm more worried about someone who would install IE on a computer intentionally.

As for why IE7, many institutions don't support subsequent versions of IE and compatibility mode is a farce.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Sure you can.

http://portableapps....irefox_portable

Thank you very much for the reply. So, if I understand this correctly, I can install Mozilla Firefox, Portable Edition, on a USB flash drive and then, say for the sake of argument, we are at a hotel on vacation, I can just plug in the USB flash drive, use my saved bookmarks, and watch DISH Online? If so, I better make a run to Microcenter or check Newegg and get an inexpensive USB flash drive. Also, for this application, is one flash drive pretty much live another for this purpose? O do realize that there are different sizes available, but it looks like 4 GB and under are very reasonably priced.

Also, even though I am focusing on Mozilla Firefox for this mainly because that it what I use at home, would there be any reason that I ought to consider Microsoft Internet Explorer 8? Or, for that matter, might there be any reason to have both on a USB flash drive? It seems pretty rare at home to run across something that doesn't play well with Firefox, but occasionally it has happened.

#9 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:44 PM

IE9 is the most current version, but I haven't ever used a Portable version of IE. I never use IE anyway.

One flash drive is relatively the same as another. Faster the drive the better the performance. 8GB Patriot 200x: $14. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820220252

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

These are the minimum requirements for slinging:

Hardware & Software Requirements for DISH Online
Minimum PC Requirements
Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7 with latest updates
Pentium 4 class processor or equivalent with 256 MB of RAM
Internet Explorer 7.0 or above, Firefox 3.5 or above

High-Speed Internet connection

but as the previous post indicated, there may be a restriction from your work PC and network. It would need to be installed on the PC. Thanks.

What about Macs?

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,505 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

What about Macs?

Firefox support should be the same on a Mac as a PC... Safari 4 or higher should be supported as well.

I haven't checked lately, but Mac support used to be 32-bit only, so you had to launch your browser in 32-bit mode.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#12 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

You can't "run" it from a jump drive in Windows (no matter which version you are running).

Been doing exactly that at work for a quite awhile now.

#13 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have not had any luck with this. It seems that I need Adobe Flash Player, but I don't know if it is possible to load Adobe Flash Player on my USB Flash Drive.

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

I have not had any luck with this. It seems that I need Adobe Flash Player, but I don't know if it is possible to load Adobe Flash Player on my USB Flash Drive.

Nope...

spam firewall