Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TVs Firmware 1024 and higher (RVU support) - Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

That is exactly the issue. DTV can't do this by themselves. It would need to be an industry standard run by an Industry committe before all concerned would implement the technology. Do you know how difficult it is to set up an industry standard and get everyone to agree. .

Yes, in fact I do. I believe I alluded to this in 4-5 separate posts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:43 AM

No one provider can get all manufactures to do anything, but one technology used by many might be able to.

At this point, Mid-RF Annex is used exclusively by DIRECTV. Without support from a second (specifically from among the television manufacturers), there's no way to get to many.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#243 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:39 PM

Yep... almost every time I start a Blu-ray on my Blu-ray player, it causes my Blu-ray player and AVR to shut off... causing me to start all over again.

If I unplug my HDMI cable until the disc starts playing, I'm good... :rolleyes:

~Alan

That's CEC (Consumer Electronic Control, a function of some HDMI devices) messing you up. If you can turn it off on some of your devices, do so.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#244 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

At this point, Mid-RF Annex is used exclusively by DIRECTV. Without support from a second (specifically from among the television manufacturers), there's no way to get to many.

Fortunately, DirecTV is the 2nd largest multichannel TV provider in the U.S.

#245 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,040 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

Objective fact has never gotten in the way of the routine doom-saying and negativity of our resident Dish observer . . . :lol:

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#246 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

That might be a big deal if we didn't know that DIRECTV serves less than 20% of the marketplace. Even when combined with the DISH Network customers that could also use Mid-RF Annex frequencies you've elevated the number to something around 31% of the space.

From there you consider what percentage of the 31% that is likely to employ MoCA networking and you've arrived at a level that I like to call "vanishingly small".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#247 OFFLINE   drp392

drp392

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

I'm curious about 3D on the RVU client TVs. The channels (103-107) work fine when viewing from the TV that the HR34 is attached to but when I try to view one from the RVU tv it says "Not subscribed. Press SELECT.(721)". This isn't make or break for me but is it supposed to work or is it not possible yet to pass a 3D program over RVU? Yes my RVU tv is 3D capable (UN46D6400).

#248 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

I'm curious about 3D on the RVU client TVs. The channels (103-107) work fine when viewing from the TV that the HR34 is attached to but when I try to view one from the RVU tv it says "Not subscribed. Press SELECT.(721)". This isn't make or break for me but is it supposed to work or is it not possible yet to pass a 3D program over RVU? Yes my RVU tv is 3D capable (UN46D6400).

If that's the case I wonder if 1080p content is available then....would think if it doesn't allow 3D then 1080p wouldn't pass either.
Regardless I'd hope this is just a bump in the road and in the future it allows both just fine...

#249 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:06 AM

That might be a big deal if we didn't know that DIRECTV serves less than 20% of the marketplace. Even when combined with the DISH Network customers that could also use Mid-RF Annex frequencies you've elevated the number to something around 31% of the space.

From there you consider what percentage of the 31% that is likely to employ MoCA networking and you've arrived at a level that I like to call "vanishingly small".

By your compelling "logic", the chances that Samsung would ever have built any TVs that supported such an unpopular technology are akin to those of discovering intelligent life on Mars.

Fortunately, the TV exists.

#250 OFFLINE   penetronn

penetronn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

Sounds almost like an HDMI handshake thing. That would be very disappointing if that was the case. Although there's not much to view in 3D right now anyway besides blu-ray. This will probably change though.

#251 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:57 AM

This is a known issue... 3d is not supported on the RVU clients. I'm talking to our friends at directv about this.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#252 OFFLINE   Sgt. Slaughter

Sgt. Slaughter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

This is a known issue... 3d is not supported on the RVU clients. I'm talking to our friends at directv about this.

have you or anyone gotten a 1080p program to play via the RVU clientTV??
j/w if 3D doesn't work right now would 1080p...

well now as i type that i realize the two likely dont relate as 1080p should be more bandwidth wheras 3D should be more codec/handshake support right? or am i off on that too. lil early here after new years still. lol

happy new year to everyone btw!

#253 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Your % means nothing. They have millions of set top boxes, and from here on out, the majority will be hooked up with moca in mind, and at some point in the next couple years, most likely all new ones will. 40 million plus tvs being hooked up with moca devices is incentive enough for that particular spectrum, the issues is getting them manufactures to see the need for enabling moca on tvs because of all providers heading to that technology. Choosing a chip that will work with all favors will be the easy part. Showing the technology will be prevalent, that's the challenge.

#254 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,824 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Your % means nothing.

My percentage is fact. Your numbers are what iffy.

#255 OFFLINE   MichaelG_STL

MichaelG_STL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

Samsung Smart TV Firmware V1026, check.
DECA installed, TV connected via Ethernet, check.
TV able to browse local network, check.
TV able to communicate out to internet, check.
Technician unable to understand what RVU is, and his tech support neither, FAIL. AARgh!

Edited by MichaelG_STL, 02 January 2012 - 08:15 PM.
New FW Version Update

#256 OFFLINE   shaddow22

shaddow22

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I finally got an tech out today to upgrade my current system to a SWM, install my HR34 and hook up a Samsung D6400 via RVU. Everything was going along great and we got the D6400 paired to the HR34. On the next screen it said to call DirecTV to activate RVU. The installer called and was on hold forever. They finally said that they couldn't activate RVU for an existing customer and that they'd "send an email up the chain" to see if someone could find a way to get it done. Has any existing customer been successful in getting RVU, and if so, how?

#257 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

They finally said that they couldn't activate RVU for an existing customer

Its stuff like this that just makes a person want to scream. They should have had their computer systems, authorization systems, and procedures in place before the first box was sold.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#258 OFFLINE   drp392

drp392

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

I finally got an tech out today to upgrade my current system to a SWM, install my HR34 and hook up a Samsung D6400 via RVU. Everything was going along great and we got the D6400 paired to the HR34. On the next screen it said to call DirecTV to activate RVU. The installer called and was on hold forever. They finally said that they couldn't activate RVU for an existing customer and that they'd "send an email up the chain" to see if someone could find a way to get it done. Has any existing customer been successful in getting RVU, and if so, how?

Call back the main 800 number and tell them you want to open a case management ticket to setup your RVU clients. Apparently they are the only ones that can enable it. It's actually called HMC in their system. You can activate a HR34 through the main number pretty easily but they don't have access to enable HMC/RVU functionality.

#259 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

Its stuff like this that just makes a person want to scream. They should have had their computer systems, authorization systems, and procedures in place before the first box was sold.

Existing customers aren't eligible so people get to deal with the issues of going around the system.

However none of the last few pages except for about 2 posts have to do with Samsung Firmware. Could we get this cleaned up or at least get back on topic.

#260 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

Actually I'm going to close this one and open up a new one for the new year.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

spam firewall