Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:16 PM

I currently have
2 HR20's
1 HR21
1 H20

The install is from 2007 and predates SWM, we are using the unsupported MRV and have been out of contract since 2009.

I'm very happy with the programming and HD with DirecTv but can't stand the non responsiveness of the DVR's. Getting any of the DVR's to do what I want on the first attempt is virtually unheard of. I can't speak for the H20, my wife uses that, but not having MVR capabilities means it's overdue for an upgrade as well.

I had been waiting for the HR34 to upgrade but I'm starting to think that might not be my best first step.

We also have 2 3D capable TV's (both hooked to the HR20's as luck would have it). The HR21 is full of kids programs so we haven't switched them as there hasn't been any 3D demand in our house yet.

I'll stop with that for now, appreciate any advice.

Thanks
TP

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

There's no such thing as an upgrade. If a receiver doesn't work, they'll replace it.

If you need 3D (and have a 3D TV), they'll replace the HR20's with a 3D capably receiver.

For just about anything else, you'll need to lease the DVR's via a third party provider to get the specific units you want.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   jimmyt

jimmyt

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

similar boat to you. 3 hr21 that replaced 3 bad hr20.. using ehternet mrv and no swim. As I understand it, they wont send you a hr34 until next year, but it may be possible to get a $399 credit if you buy it on your own. My plan is to call and see what they will do for me. Like directv, but its getting just as expensive as cable. I now have cincinnati bell fios tv and cable in my area and they are offering sweet deals for two years. I may just go the route of what can you do knowing I have all these options..

The install is from 2007 and predates SWM, we are using the unsupported MRV and have been out of contract since 2009....

#4 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

There's no such thing as an upgrade. If a receiver doesn't work, they'll replace it.

If you need 3D (and have a 3D TV), they'll replace the HR20's with a 3D capably receiver.

For just about anything else, you'll need to lease the DVR's via a third party provider to get the specific units you want.

How do they define "doesn't work"? My understanding is that non-responsive DVR's are par for the course prior to the HR24. My HR21 is the worst of the bunch.

So yeah, technically they all work but watching TV can be very frustrating. What are the contract commitments for swapping out boxes in these cases?

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:56 PM

Being slow does not mean it's broken. And it's not par for the course. I don't have an HR24 (couple of HR21's, used to have an HR20) and none are/were so slow that I got frustrated.

If you swap out a broken receiver, there's no further commitment. If you just want to get a new receiver and send in the old one, it's a new 2 year commitment.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

Being slow does not mean it's broken. And it's not par for the course.

So my DVR's aren't broken but they're not normal either. :(

#7 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Suggest- you call for a whole connected home upgrade- That will get you to SWIM (Mention you have 3dTV's) that will get you Two HDDVR's Noted on the work ordered to be replaced. Your HR21 is okay for swim-However Your H20 (will) also need to be replaced.

When the tech calls you can see if he has HR24's or whatever on his truck for you that way with a service visit you have a better chance of getting what you want (if he has it on the truck)

Call in and speak to someone you should be able to get anything you wish you only need to ask.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#8 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

Suggest- you call for a whole connected home upgrade- That will get you to SWIM (Mention you have 3dTV's) that will get you Two HDDVR's Noted on the work ordered to be replaced. Your HR21 is okay for swim-However Your H20 (will) also need to be replaced.

When the tech calls you can see if he has HR24's or whatever on his truck for you that way with a service visit you have a better chance of getting what you want (if he has it on the truck)

Call in and speak to someone you should be able to get anything you wish you only need to ask.

Thanks

Does this require a new 2 year commitment?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,348 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

I do not believe they extend the contract to replace HR20s for lack of 3D. The H20 previously would require a contract to be replaced with a DECA compatible model, but this may have changed since it also will not be getting the HD GUI.

#10 OFFLINE   jimmyt

jimmyt

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

when each of my hr20's failed, they sent hr21's and my contract did not extend. However, if you get the whole home upgrade for free or reduced cost and a new receiver, the contract extends.

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

Thanks

Does this require a new 2 year commitment?

\

Yes, But on the other hand you gain a new LNB and dis-realignment and all outside plant redone bringing your service to "new" install state.

The commit shouldn't be a show stopper if your happy with the current TV service. :lol:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,254 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

As I understand it, they wont send you a hr34 until next year, but it may be possible to get a $399 credit if you buy it on your own.

As the new customer offer is $99, I'm betting the existing customer upgrade offer won't be better than a $300 credit for the "best" of customers. Lesser customer's offers will surely vary widely.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   jimmyt

jimmyt

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

I would imagine a decent customer could get a $300 credit.. I have an hr21 (a refurb that replaced a dead hr20) that is on its last legs - may call and see what kind of deal I can get on swm and an hr34..

#14 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:20 PM

So I had to call to cancel showtime and while I was on the line I broke down my situation.

End result is they are swapping out the 2 HR20's, the H20 and installing SWM at no cost. They also are giving me a 20 credit for the next 12 months for my trouble. I'm didn't really make a big stink but I was happy to take the credit. This commits me for another 2 years but I wasn't planning on going anywhere so I'm cool with that.

Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope I get decent replacement boxes. I figure worse case I'll easily be able to jump to an HR34 sometime in 2012 if I get a couple clunkers.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

How do they define "doesn't work"? My understanding is that non-responsive DVR's are par for the course prior to the HR24. My HR21 is the worst of the bunch.

There is nothing wrong with the 20-700s, if you can find any in good working order. Lots of luck with that. The 24s are good too. About the 21, you're right.

So yeah, technically they all work but watching TV can be very frustrating. What are the contract commitments for swapping out boxes in these cases?

If there's something wrong with any HRs that justifies replacing them, it will be done. But, if you tell them "it works, but not as well as I'd like it to", they probably won't replace it.

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

So my DVR's aren't broken but they're not normal either. :(

What's normal?

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Both my HR20's are 700's and they are painfully slow. Come Monday they won't be my problem.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,089 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:43 PM

Both my HR20's are 700's and they are painfully slow. Come Monday they won't be my problem.

Well, they're the oldest of the HRs and if you're still using the original HDDs, that might be the problem or you might have two beat up 20-700s. When they're in good shape they really are almost as quick as a 24. They're pretty hard to come by using the D* replacement program.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:54 AM

Looks like I'm now going to be the proud owner of 3 HR21 - ugh.

Out of curiosity, will a HR20 work with SWM, the installer (he's here now) says no?

#20 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Yes, the HR20 works with MRV. If its a 700, it hooks up the same way the HR21 does. If its a -100, there is a special way to hook up the DECA adapter. Its the H20 (receiver) that wont work with MRV.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

spam firewall