Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for upgrade advice

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

That's what I thought (they're both -700's). Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure what replacement box we're getting for the H20, but is it possible it won't work with component cables?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

That's what I thought (they're both -700's). Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure what replacement box we're getting for the H20, but is it possible it won't work with component cables?

All receivers have component out, although the H25 uses a dongle that can work loose if its moved around.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

I'm guessing we're getting an H25 by the way the tech was talking. I have a 50' component cable run from the basement to the 2nd floor and no cable running to this spot. Does the dongle come with the box, I'm guessing I'll just need an f/f adapter.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

If he installs an H25, and you require component, he should have the breakout component cable. I dont know if they are included in the box or not, but suspect they are not. If he has an H24, that would be a better choice if you plan on using component.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

H25, he had the cable and I had a spare component wall mount so I'm good there.

I'm having trouble programming the remote for RF, I'm using the same remote as before but it doesn't want to take, does the H25 require an antenna or special remote?

#26 OFFLINE   mstanka

mstanka

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

I have a couple of HR21's and since the HDgui they are just as responsive as the rest of the receivers (being HR22's and HR20's).

Michael.

#27 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

H25, he had the cable and I had a spare component wall mount so I'm good there.

I'm having trouble programming the remote for RF, I'm using the same remote as before but it doesn't want to take, does the H25 require an antenna or special remote?

Never mind, found my own answer, the H25 needs an RF extender.

I had one of these lying around which did the job.
http://www.amazon.co...24929984&sr=8-1

Good news is that my HR21 did the disk error check thingy when he restarted it so he swapped that out for a HR24. 1 HR21 down, 2 to go.

Thanks for all the help, advice and quick responses.

#28 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:08 PM

I do have a question about my install.

The tech put this in our family room and was adamant that it had to be plugged directly into the wall. I wanted to put it into the surge protector so the cord wasn't showing or move it to the basement and plug it into a long extension cord (no surge protector) but he was very against that.

What our my options for moving this.

https://lh4.googleus...9y4/h301/11+-+1

#29 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,808 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

That is a power inserter to provide power to the electronics in the LNB assembly in the dish. It can pretty much go anyplace you want as long as it is oriented correctly and connected to provide power to the dish. It does not matter if it goes in a surge protector or UPS, but I'm guessing the reason the installer wanted to go directly to the wall is to make sure it does not get turned off (many people flip the power switch on a surge protector off when they are done watching tv, etc.). You need to keep this powered.

#30 OFFLINE   TogasPoon

TogasPoon

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

That is a power inserter to provide power to the electronics in the LNB assembly in the dish. It can pretty much go anyplace you want as long as it is oriented correctly and connected to provide power to the dish. It does not matter if it goes in a surge protector or UPS, but I'm guessing the reason the installer wanted to go directly to the wall is to make sure it does not get turned off (many people flip the power switch on a surge protector off when they are done watching tv, etc.). You need to keep this powered.

Thanks

He was so adamant about plugging it directly into the wall that he plugged it into a switched outlet. :D I told him that would be a no go.

#31 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

Cheap surge protectors can have voltage irregularities due to cheap parts. This means that the PI can get more abuse and burn them out. This is true with any electronics plugged into them but he doesn't get back charged for something other than a PI having problems. It's funny that most people buy surge surpressors like they should hdmi cables and buy hdmi cables like they should surge supressors.

spam firewall