Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Tivo Premiere XL4 Review
http://www.engadget....ere-xl4-review/

I have to wonder, why didn't Tivo port this current experience to DirecTV? The XL4 has 4 tuners, but if they ported it to the HR34 it could have 5 tuners.

That grid guide and mini guide are nicer in the Premiere than DirecTV's HDGUI. (More information on screen). Love the 8 channel guide and 3 channel mini-guide.

Its a shame because if this was it along with Tivo's Moca and eventual roadmap to multi-room dvr, it could of made a real hit on DirecTV via the HR34 and DECA.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Tivo Premiere XL4 Review

I have to wonder, why didn't Tivo port this current experience to DirecTV? The XL4 has 4 tuners, but if they ported it to the HR34 it could have 5 tuners.

That grid guide and mini guide are nicer in the Premiere than DirecTV's HDGUI. (More information on screen). Love the 8 channel guide and 3 channel mini-guide.

Its a shame because if this was it along with Tivo's Moca and eventual roadmap to multi-room dvr, it could of made a real hit on DirecTV via the HR34 and DECA.

Still need the crappy Tuning Adapters than are a pain in the butt.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#183 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Tivo Premiere XL4 Review

Do you think DTV will allow TiVo create superior SW for HR22 and push out of the road they own SW ?

#184 ONLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

Do you think DTV will allow TiVo create superior SW for HR22 and push out of the road they own SW ?

I don't know, I guess not. This is where the FCC needs to step in. Either that or the FCC needs to step OUT of Cable.

I mean the FCC put all these rules and regulations on the cable industry. They forced open access... they forced cable card. There was a date 7.1.2007 where all new STBs MUST have cable card slots. Existing units fine... but all new purchases were separate security models which costs MSO's a whole lot more money. In turn MSO's raised rates because why should they absorb all the costs thanks to government intervention (I don't blame them).

Here's my beef with that... The FCC has such a focus on the "evil" cable industry and require all this regulation, but yet you don't see them cracking down on DBS providers - no not only DirecTV but DishNetwork too. They didn't have to open access. You don't see a PCI-E tuner where you could simply slide in a DirecTV card and run a media center. You can't buy an off the shelf Tivo Premiere at a brick and morter store with a DBS tuner in it and slide in your DirecTV card. No... but yet you can with the Cable industry, and this never would of been the case if it wasn't through government intervention.

So why the one sidedness? I remember the old FCC chairman Kevin Martin was his name right? The guy who looks like "Wheres Waldo". He had it out for the cable industry. So glad that dbag is out off office. Cable was so behind in HD with that idiot at the throne. Cable spent so much money on STB's, OCAP integration, software updates on every single piece of hardware in the headend and customer side, etc. Plus investing in open access that their hands were tied as far as purchasing HD QAMs and all that. The FCC also required advance notice and approval for frequency moves on cable companies own private spectrum! Something simple like moving putting a QAM on channel 57 for example required approval! They also couldn't remove analog right away, or any of that nonsense.

Edited by cypherx, 16 May 2012 - 03:42 PM.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#185 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is not about what DIRECTV wants TiVo to do. This is about what TiVo is capable of doing, within the resources they've allocated to the project.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#186 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:50 PM

This is not about what DIRECTV wants TiVo to do. This is about what TiVo is capable of doing, within the resources they've allocated to the project.

See post#181.

spam firewall