Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   magnus

magnus

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:47 AM

So many questions on this:

1) Will this work in conjunction with a regular Tivo Premiere for MVR? If they have the same MAK ID.

2) Does this still cost $5 more per month if you have the lifetime DVR fee waived?

3) Are there any features at all like Netflix and Amazon? I'm thinking not.

I agree with others... I'm not sure why this took so long... when the feature set is not that great.

I can't see any features that are worth getting this over the Directv box. Not to mention paying the extra $5 for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Castaa

Castaa

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

It's a shame one cannot simply install the TiVo UI to an old HR-22 or can you?

#43 OFFLINE   tmo1138

tmo1138

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have ONE question...

Where can I buy one!!!??

:grin::grin:

#44 OFFLINE   randys1

randys1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

the menu or tivo central eliminates watching tv at the same time, too bad

i like being able to watch and listen while i make programming decisions

#45 OFFLINE   DawgLink

DawgLink

Woof Woof Woof

• Registered
  • 1,543 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

I have ONE question...

Where can I buy one!!!??

This

#46 OFFLINE   Smuuth

Smuuth

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

Once again, you have set the bar high for an informative, professional first look. Well done.
Eschew Obfuscation!

Patriot Guard Riders

#47 OFFLINE   randys1

randys1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

sorry about shooting the messenger, yes, you did an excellent job

the idea that i would switch to a machine that eliminates watching tv during the massive amount of time i spend programming shows, well, it is absurd...of course

but good job with the review

it is simply amazing to me that Tivo doesnt understand that nobody will want to switch to a machine that does this, well i shouldnt say nobody, some will insist it is fine with them, but casual users who dont know much about these machines will say are you kidding me?

#48 OFFLINE   msarway

msarway

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

What's the advantage of having TiVo vs my current directv dvr other then the interface is there a link to show the differences

#49 OFFLINE   emandbri

emandbri

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I have ONE question...

Where can I buy one!!!??

I don't think you can "buy" it. You can get one from Direct TV in selected markets, nationwide "early 2012."

Chicago, IL
Denver, CO
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ
Sacramento, CA
San Francisco, CA
Seattle, WA
Washington, DC

I'm excited to get it! It isn't available in St. Louis yet though. I miss tivo but not enough to go with the local cable company to get it.

#50 OFFLINE   randys1

randys1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

What's the advantage of having TiVo vs my current directv dvr other then the interface is there a link to show the differences

the one reason not to, if you like having the picture/sound on in the corner of your screen while you are programming, looking at functions of the dvr or tivo, you cant do that with tivo

i think most people would hate it when they realized that..

#51 OFFLINE   BarneyM

BarneyM

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:17 PM

This

Looks like they will eventually be available at Solid Signal;

#52 OFFLINE   Alan Mintaka

Alan Mintaka

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

So what? This doesn't do current users of the DirecTV HR22-100 any good, since DirecTV doesn't upgrade equipment based on orders for specific DVR models.

If you upgrade to an "HD DVR", you get what they want to send you. It would be great if that happened to be a THR22-100, but you could just as easily get another HR22-100 or HR24. There's no way to specify which one you'll get.

Maybe new customers will be able to jump on board with the THR22, but current customers are stuck with vague "upgrade" options.

Of course, we could buy the THR22 standalone, and pay the big bucks for a new purchase.

I don't think so.
Alan Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
-- Walt Whitman

#53 OFFLINE   stevecougar

stevecougar

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

So for an extra 5 bucks a month, plus the price of the "new" (cough) unit, I get the same inept and antiquated hardware with the addition of crippled Tivo functionality, Tivo menus and a pretty little Tivo graphic on the front.
Like what's the point?!
A much better idea would have been for Tivo to adapt it's great hardware to run on the Directv network.
Just because you put premium gas in 1969 Ford Pinto doesn't make it a Ferrari.
Yet another D-TV "Cutting Edge" debacle that couldn't cut butter.

Thx but not in million years!

Edited by stevecougar, 11 December 2011 - 12:56 PM.

#54 OFFLINE   corinthbandit

corinthbandit

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:36 PM

Does it support OTA and the AM21?

#55 OFFLINE   sagreer70

sagreer70

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:41 PM

Great job on this first look!

I'm not going to be getting one of these. This past September I got tired of waiting and got the HD DVR from Directv, and have not looked back. I have an ipad and can watch some channels live on that - - so no second receiver in the bedroom. That, alone, is a huge improvement, and this Directivo does not support the app. So, no.

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,686 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:54 PM

So what? This doesn't do current users of the DirecTV HR22-100 any good, since DirecTV doesn't upgrade equipment based on orders for specific DVR models.

If you upgrade to an "HD DVR", you get what they want to send you. It would be great if that happened to be a THR22-100, but you could just as easily get another HR22-100 or HR24. There's no way to specify which one you'll get.

Maybe new customers will be able to jump on board with the THR22, but current customers are stuck with vague "upgrade" options.

Of course, we could buy the THR22 standalone, and pay the big bucks for a new purchase.

I don't think so.

The THR is a special case. If you order one, you'd get one (once availability opens up.) a THR will always be replaced by a THR, a HR20-24 would never be replaced with a THR unless the customer requested it.

Similar situation with the HR34.

#57 OFFLINE   RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:59 PM

Without whole-home support -- DirecTV's most compelling feature IMHO -- I just couldn't care less about the TiVo. I never really missed it that much to begin with.

#58 OFFLINE   grins

grins

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

the one reason not to, if you like having the picture/sound on in the corner of your screen while you are programming, looking at functions of the dvr or tivo, you cant do that with tivo

i think most people would hate it when they realized that..

In fact, that's the one reason I would consider the TiVo, for two reasons. First, I hate having the content spoiled in an unwatchably small box, and second, no programming frees the transport keys to be useful in the menus, i.e. FF jumps ahead in guide, or Channel down pages down through menu options.

#59 OFFLINE   jimbo56

jimbo56

Legend

• No PM's
  • 127 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

Nice job on the first look Stuart!

However, I see no compelling reason to buy this, especially considering DirecTV will charge an extra monthly fee for having one. I think I'd rather get an HR-34 instead.

I predict that the THR 22 will be a major flop. A few ex-TiVo subscribers may rush out to get one, but most everyone else will stay away. It will definitely be a niche product.

#60 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

Does it support OTA and the AM21?

Yes.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

spam firewall