Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   tmo1138

tmo1138

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

Without whole-home support -- DirecTV's most compelling feature IMHO -- I just couldn't care less about the TiVo. I never really missed it that much to begin with.

I just saw that WholeHome isn't in the Tivo Model, too.

:nono:

Yea that's a deal-breaker for me. That's one of the best reasons to HAVE DTV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   AudioDeity

AudioDeity

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

Thank you so much, Stuart, for making the differences between the two systems so clear. Excellent first look!

I agree with all the comments saying the new TiVo box is woefully feature-challenged. And, compared with the new HD GUI, the legendary TiVo interface now looks long in the tooth. And why would it be 720 x 480 when every other image in the entire world of consumer electronics (including TVs, phones, and tablets) is at or near HD? Outside of looking like a TiVo, which is no longer an advantage, I see no reason for DIRECTV to introduce the unit. It should be free, with no added monthly fees. For TiVo completists only.

Edited by AudioDeity, 11 December 2011 - 01:38 PM.
give props

#63 OFFLINE   Nicthalon

Nicthalon

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Without whole-home support -- DirecTV's most compelling feature IMHO -- I just couldn't care less about the TiVo. I never really missed it that much to begin with.

I just saw that WholeHome isn't in the Tivo Model, too.

Yea that's a deal-breaker for me. That's one of the best reasons to HAVE DTV.

If you record more than 2 shows at once, which happens a lot in my house, a single whole-home unit is worthless. I need 4 channels available to keep up, since nobody watches live TV anymore, lol. Until DTV can offer that, I must have 2 DVRs.

Sadly, even though I liked Tivo enough to hold on to my Series 2 Philips DirecTivo unit until early this year, the new unit isn't revolutionary enough to get me to harrass DTV's customer service dept until they give in and not charge me $200 for it like I did with my current one.

Until they realize that perks for long-time customers, like free upgrades after a certain amount of time, as cell companies do, they won't be getting any money from me for a unit I don't even own.

#64 OFFLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

If you record more than 2 shows at once, which happens a lot in my house, a single whole-home unit is worthless. I need 4 channels available to keep up, since nobody watches live TV anymore, lol. Until DTV can offer that, I must have 2 DVRs.

Sadly, even though I liked Tivo enough to hold on to my Series 2 Philips DirecTivo unit until early this year, the new unit isn't revolutionary enough to get me to harrass DTV's customer service dept until they give in and not charge me $200 for it like I did with my current one.

Until they realize that perks for long-time customers, like free upgrades after a certain amount of time, as cell companies do, they won't be getting any money from me for a unit I don't even own.

DIRECTV does offer it now. It's called an HR34. 5 tuner DVR :)

#65 OFFLINE   aphex

aphex

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:16 PM

I expected more :( Other than the case it's basically an HR10-250 that does MPEG4 and SWiM?
Dish: AU9S
Multiswitch: SWM-8
Receivers: HR21-700 (CE), HR21-100 (CE), HR22-100 (CE), R10 (Ethernet MRV enabled on receivers)
TVs: Panasonic TH-PZ700U 50" 1080p Plasma, Sony L5000 32" HD LCD & 2 x 32" HD Vizio LCDs

#66 OFFLINE   jerrymc

jerrymc

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

I'm amazed and thoroughly amused by the number of posters in this thread that seem to think their opinion of the marketability of this device is going to be universally held by the marketplace! "Nobody will want this if if doesn't have X..." I wonder how many of these posters have any knowledge of market research at all, let alone any expertise to speak of. :P The point is, even experts have a hard time predicting a product's success. There are plenty of counter-intuitive examples: Sony BetaMax, Pet Rocks, etc...

As with all products in a free market economy, the success or failure of the THR22 will be determined by marketing, brand loyalty, and consumer perception. There is an emotional factor to all purchases. Apple has consistently been able to get twice the price for it's products compared to similar selections from other manufacturers. Are they consistently twice as good? There are strong arguments against that.

#67 OFFLINE   muledoggie

muledoggie

AllStar/Supporter

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Mac version of software? Or PC only. This would be an advantage for mac users.

Otherwise, I can't imagine the time and investment that it has taken them to produce a product so close to identical to what they already have ...

--

GO Mavs, Rangers, Stars, Cowboys, Aggies
Hello to friends of Bill W.

#68 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

I expected more :( Other than the case it's basically an HR10-250 that does MPEG4 and SWiM?

I think you basically have it, yes.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#69 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

I am genuinely puzzled about what market they are targeting with this thing.

I think this answers it. :lol:

The UI is awesome, for 1998.

Aside from the Tivo fanatics that can't live without the cartoon UI, I see zero interest in this, and I owned Tivos since they first came out, all the way up to the HR10-250. The current HR units have too few user options, and Tivo seems to feel you need even less. So the market they are targeting is probably those who can't even figure out how to use a toaster.

#70 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Great First Look! I like a lot of the differences from the DirecTV DVRs but there are too many features missing for me to seriously consider this one.

Ditto here....I'll pass for now. Let's see what the future brings.
I pick things up and I put them down

#71 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

I thought there was a separate THR22-bashing thread. Interesting to see how people think their views are some sort of "smarter than thou" angle. I would not get one of these, but we have one because someone else, a very smart woman, would rather have it. So now we have two DVRs, what's the big deal? I really have to laugh a little at all the comments making anyone who leases this box some sort of buffoon. Just not the case. I don't post much here, guess this is why.

Can;t figure out how to use a toaster? Wow, are you a brain surgeon? Rocket scientist? No reason to publicly display your superiority, is there?

#72 OFFLINE   ItsMeJTO

ItsMeJTO

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Yes.

But didn't I read in the review that is doesn't have an external OTA antenna connector ? We don't all live next to the transmitters do we.

Why do we still have the B converter dongles external ?
Those things are a mess to deal with in a confined space.

I keep seeing messages indicating the hardware is the same as earlier models but the photos indicate all new pcb's and layouts.

Edited by ItsMeJTO, 11 December 2011 - 04:42 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

I really have to laugh a little at all the comments making anyone who leases this box some sort of buffoon.

The problem is that at one point Tivo was king. When the HRs first came out, they were crap in comparison. But the HRs have evolved so much that it would take a LOT to make a Tivo that was better. But all we see is basically the same old UI, on old hardware, with less features. A buffoon for leasing one? Not my words, but.....

#74 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

I had thought that I would not want this, but having looked at the "First Look" this may change.

1. I have no use for Whole Home. One TV, so that's not a problem.
2. Channels-I-Get being editable to "Channels I Have Some Remote Interest In" as a filter to searches is a BIG DEAL.
3. Unlimited Season Passes are good.
4. My wife has NEVER been willing to learn the HRxx interface. She did use the late, lamented HR10-250. You have no idea how big a plus this might be. ;-)

Some questions:

Does the remote use the old HR10-250 codeset? I still have the JP1 codeset for that around here someplace. I assume it coexists with the HR2x codes, as I imagine replacing my HR21 with the THR22, but keeping my HR20 for OTA. Edmund?

Does the TiVo middleware reside on flash, not hard disk (so that the HD replacement process is drop-in like the rest of the HR2x line and unlike HR10)? Likewise, does the eSATA port replace, rather than add to, the internal drive (again like HR2x and unlike HR10)?

Is there any hope that TiVo's software will port to newer hardware in the future? Or support more features, either DirecTV's or TiVo's?

-----

UPDATE: Questions answered on other thread.

Edited by gully_foyle, 11 December 2011 - 05:07 PM.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#75 OFFLINE   BobRay

BobRay

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

I've been using an old DirectTivo forever, so I'm pretty much out of the loop. The last time I checked, the DTV boxes could not do any of these things. Can they now?

1. Automatically record any movie with a particular actor in the cast (but not non-movies with that same actor).

2. Automatically record any movie by a particular director.

3. Automatically record any movie that's in a particular language.

4. Automatically record any event in a particular sport with a particular keyword in the title.

5. Automatically record movies in a particular genre with a particular actor in the cast.

6. Automatically record movies in a particular genre with a particular keyword in the title.

7. Record first-run showings of a series correctly even when the episode airs at a different time and has a different length.

Almost all of these are features of the Tivo that I use regularly. My toaster won't do any of them. If the DTV boxes still don't have these features, the comments about the "antiquated" Tivo become somewhat weightless.

#76 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,510 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

Most of that can be handled with keyword boolean searches that DirecTV has had for years. Though dont think there are any for things in a particular language.

#77 OFFLINE   plissken99

plissken99

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

All I want to know is, will it be faster? Channel surfing with the HR20 is enough to make you wanna open your wrists.

#78 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

I've been using an old DirectTivo forever, so I'm pretty much out of the loop. The last time I checked, the DTV boxes could not do any of these things. Can they now?

1. Automatically record any movie with a particular actor in the cast (but not non-movies with that same actor). yes

2. Automatically record any movie by a particular director. yes

3. Automatically record any movie that's in a particular language.Not sure if that's possible so we'll go with maybe

4. Automatically record any event in a particular sport with a particular keyword in the title. yes

5. Automatically record movies in a particular genre with a particular actor in the cast.yes

6. Automatically record movies in a particular genre with a particular keyword in the title.yes

7. Record first-run showings of a series correctly even when the episode airs at a different time and has a different length.If there is no conflict, yes but then TiVo can't do it when there is a conflict either

Almost all of these are features of the Tivo that I use regularly. My toaster won't do any of them. If the DTV boxes still don't have these features, the comments about the "antiquated" Tivo become somewhat weightless.

Do a search on "Boolean Searches" and you'll find out how.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#79 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Great Job Stuart!!!

We have waited a long time for this Puppy to Debut and Now Finally it is here!!!

I hope it satisfies the Tivoholics out there (I used to be one and was one of the First Directv Customers to Buy & Activate an HR10-250 way back when)!!!

Enjoy!!!

Now back to my HR24-500!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#80 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

OTA scanning capability is an interesting distinguishing feature.

spam firewall