Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

The problem is that at one point Tivo was king. When the HRs first came out, they were crap in comparison. But the HRs have evolved so much that it would take a LOT to make a Tivo that was better. But all we see is basically the same old UI, on old hardware, with less features. A buffoon for leasing one? Not my words, but.....

I don't really need a history lesson on Tivo, since I owned the original big black box. And better is a relative term. Some people, even very smart ones, just want a box that can do the basics and do them well. So your point of view really is only valid for someone like you, who apparently uses many of those what some considered worthless features on the HRXX series. I was one of the first HR20 owners as well, and I know all about the crap that DTV can dump on its customer base from the get-go. It almost seems to have happened again with the THR22, in fact, since I have yet to be able to download the FW update without the machine choking. But that's a DTV issue, not a THR22 issue.

Give you one good example of why the Tivo box may be more useful to someone. When I used it today to watch an NFL game, using the FF function was much smoother, you could actually watch it at 1X without missing pieces of video. Try that with any of the HRXX models. Does not work, it snips it's way through, so for sports fans, it is pretty much worthless for replays.

That may be more valuable than all the so-called features that come on the HR boxes. And I just got the HR23 (for 3D capability mainly), so I am not averse to leasing the DTV HD DVRs.

Anyway, you missed the point. For some people, it's not about how much more advanced the Tivo HD DVR is compared to the HRXX series, it's will it deliver what the basic Tivo service delivered? If so, I'd wager there will be some large number of owners who would be considered pretty sharp who nonetheless have leased the THR22. Some might even be smarter than you, and to them, fussing and obsessing over what are basically fancy VCRs is not worth their time. They just want to record some shows, get a few Series Links, and enjoy their DVR. That's how Tivo fits in, based on my experience using both boxes (and now, at the same time).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I was a Tivo user for the longest time. My first was a 14 hour version that cost around $500. I owned quite a few stand-alone units. I finally moved to DirecTV for the sole reason that they had Tivo driven DVRs compared to the Microsoft garbage that Dish had. I just missed out on the first run of the HR10-250, but still paid $1000 for mine. Second one I bought was much cheaper. Needless to say, I had a lot of Tivo experience.

I've now owned both HR21-700 and HR24-500 boxes. They have come a long way from when I first got the HR21. But I still am constantly frustrated by some of the things Tivo did that I consider very simple features. Now, I realize that suggestions is something many hated, and likely has patent issues, so I understand not having them. But I miss that feature probably more than anything else.

But the others that are missing just make me so mad. First example, DirecTV knows what channels I get. So why does it even try to record things from channels I can't get? Sure, Game Search helps, but isn't perfect. Half the time it doesn't honor the extra time I told it to record. About 20% of the time I still get a blank screen with nothing.

And why the 50 series limit? There's not reason other than laziness or arrogance on their part for putting in such a limit.

But some of the other things I've seen in this thread are just laughable IMO. No HD interface. So what! Yes, I'm using the HD GUI on my boxes now. Who cares? It's not like they used the extra resolution for any real purpose other aesthetics. They didn't really increase the amount of information on the screens.

No PIP in the menus. Not only fine by me, but I prefer it. There are times it's good, but there are times I hate it. But given a choice, I choose no PIP.

However, with all that said, I'm still on the fence. The lack of MRV really is a major thumbs down for me. Being built on older hardware is another negative. And of course, I'm not enamored with the pricing. But I think if it had MRV it would be a slam dunk decision for me even with the other negatives.

#83 OFFLINE   zz000062

zz000062

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

The hr21 and hr22 are the same, except for the hard drive. The hr22 has a 500gb drive.

Not really, the build quality is less on the HR21 than the HR22 amongst other differences.

ALSO since over 50 series links bogs down the DIRECTV hardware and this TIVO has unlimited SEASON passes, that says 1 of 2 things, TIVOS software is not such a resource hog as DIRECTV'S overly patch work software AND/OR there is more processing power in this TIVO version of the HR21.

Patiently waiting for a TIVO based on the HR24 or HR34 with BACKLIT REMOTE

ALSO with the 5 per reciever charge it is almost cheaper / if not cheaper to live somewhere with 1005 digital cable and buy a TIVO ELITE with much more advanced features and buy lifetime on the box service.

So DIRECTV let TIVO build a DVR based on the newer platforms.

#84 OFFLINE   zz000062

zz000062

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

I was a Tivo user for the longest time. My first was a 14 hour version that cost around $500. I owned quite a few stand-alone units. I finally moved to DirecTV for the sole reason that they had Tivo driven DVRs compared to the Microsoft garbage that Dish had. I just missed out on the first run of the HR10-250, but still paid $1000 for mine. Second one I bought was much cheaper. Needless to say, I had a lot of Tivo experience.

I've now owned both HR21-700 and HR24-500 boxes. They have come a long way from when I first got the HR21. But I still am constantly frustrated by some of the things Tivo did that I consider very simple features. Now, I realize that suggestions is something many hated, and likely has patent issues, so I understand not having them. But I miss that feature probably more than anything else.

But the others that are missing just make me so mad. First example, DirecTV knows what channels I get. So why does it even try to record things from channels I can't get? Sure, Game Search helps, but isn't perfect. Half the time it doesn't honor the extra time I told it to record. About 20% of the time I still get a blank screen with nothing.

And why the 50 series limit? There's not reason other than laziness or arrogance on their part for putting in such a limit.

But some of the other things I've seen in this thread are just laughable IMO. No HD interface. So what! Yes, I'm using the HD GUI on my boxes now. Who cares? It's not like they used the extra resolution for any real purpose other aesthetics. They didn't really increase the amount of information on the screens.

No PIP in the menus. Not only fine by me, but I prefer it. There are times it's good, but there are times I hate it. But given a choice, I choose no PIP.

However, with all that said, I'm still on the fence. The lack of MRV really is a major thumbs down for me. Being built on older hardware is another negative. And of course, I'm not enamored with the pricing. But I think if it had MRV it would be a slam dunk decision for me even with the other negatives.

Suggestions is what makes TIVO more than just a digital vcr/dvd recorder because a Directv DVR just records what you tell it to which is what a vcr and/or dvd recorder does.

A TIVO gives you extras that record based on what you tell it you like and dislike, although with limited channel choices on DIRECTV and TV today overrun with junk and overly clipped old shows(when the few times they show them) it is sad... all this great technolgy and only 105 of all shows available on TV for people to record and watch.

#85 OFFLINE   zipo0000

zipo0000

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Do a search on "Boolean Searches" and you'll find out how.

Joe Sixpack wants to enter a name or etc and be done with it, not have to enter all those symbols and etc, TIVO accomplishes the same searches that the DIRECTV DVR'S do mucmuch simplier where DIRECTV adds unneeded steps.

#86 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:44 PM

Suggestions is what makes TIVO more than just a digital vcr/dvd recorder because a Directv DVR just records what you tell it to which is what a vcr and/or dvd recorder does.

It's not only that, at least for me. I used to give 3 :biggthump to a lot of shows that I liked. Tivo would record reruns of those shows for me without me having to set series passes for them. That means they never interfered with other recordings, so I didn't have to constantly move the garbage stuff to the bottom of my list. And I didn't have to worry about my box filling up because I had 50 old Family Guy and 50 old South Park recording sitting on my box. But if I had nothing to watch, they were always there.

Sure, occasionally it would find something I might like. But many times I'd read about a show that I missed because I didn't know it was coming on and I'd find it was recorded for me.

Yea, lots of folks hated suggestions. But to me it was a great feature.

I can honestly say, when I had my Tivo, I never watched anything live except for maybe the news in the morning and some sports events. With my DirecTV DVRs, I can't say that anymore. I laugh when I hear people complain about the time it takes to change channels. With my old Tivo, it was never a concern.

#87 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

Not really, the build quality is less on the HR21 than the HR22 amongst other differences.

ALSO since over 50 series links bogs down the DIRECTV hardware and this TIVO has unlimited SEASON passes, that says 1 of 2 things, TIVOS software is not such a resource hog as DIRECTV'S overly patch work software AND/OR there is more processing power in this TIVO version of the HR21.

Patiently waiting for a TIVO based on the HR24 or HR34 with BACKLIT REMOTE

ALSO with the 5 per reciever charge it is almost cheaper / if not cheaper to live somewhere with 1005 digital cable and buy a TIVO ELITE with much more advanced features and buy lifetime on the box service.

So DIRECTV let TIVO build a DVR based on the newer platforms.

Sorry, you're wrong on that first sentence.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#88 OFFLINE   zipo0000

zipo0000

• Banned User
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

Sorry, you're wrong on that first sentence.

No actually that person about the build quality is 100% percent correct.

The proof for that is this, ALL "consumer grade" Home Theater equipment (TV's DVD Players, VCR's, DVR's Speakers and etc each year get cheaper build quality due to the cost of componets and raw materials rising yearly. This is done so customer profits do not decline or actually rise and this also makes things less eco friendly because cheaper quality causes stuff to break faster and we have to replace it faxter, since nothing hardly made today is repairable.

Look at a "consumer grade" TV from 25 years ago and the last of the tube tvs made 3 years ago, the build qiality difference is amazing, same with DVD players made in 1997 and 2011 - same with DVR's from Directv and Tivo in last 10 + years.

Audophile / Professional grade stuff is the only level of Home theater equipmet where build quality has remained somewhat the some over the many years.

#89 OFFLINE   iguy

iguy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:28 PM

So does the THR22 allow you to multi-room view in some way or another?

I have seen that it works with the Tivo Desktop. So I can upload things to it. now I'm wondering if it is possible to to transfer between units using the Multi-Room viewing that you use to be able to do with the DirecTivos.

#90 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

But didn't I read in the review that is doesn't have an external OTA antenna connector ? We don't all live next to the transmitters do we.

Why do we still have the B converter dongles external ?
Those things are a mess to deal with in a confined space.

I keep seeing messages indicating the hardware is the same as earlier models but the photos indicate all new pcb's and layouts.

The AM21 has the off-air antenna input.

The BBCs are required with non-SWM systems because that's how the underlying HR22 hardware works. If you have SWM, then you don't need BBCs.

The underlying hardware is an HR22.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#91 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

So does the THR22 allow you to multi-room view in some way or another?

Nope.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21

#92 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,708 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

OTA scanning capability is an interesting distinguishing feature.

True. Currently the HR34 does this, too.

#93 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Joe Sixpack wants to enter a name or etc and be done with it, not have to enter all those symbols and etc, TIVO accomplishes the same searches that the DIRECTV DVR'S do mucmuch simplier where DIRECTV adds unneeded steps.

Can it do things like record all Tom Hanks movies except You've Got Mail?

#94 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,227 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:24 PM

There are two other threads, one specifically for those who are interested in the new DirecTivo, and one for those who are not. I would like to suggest comments on either perspective be posted in the applicable thread.

Stuart, great first look. A lot of information, sufficient I think for most people to make an informed decision as to whether or not they wish to pursue the THR22 further.

#95 OFFLINE   daviator

daviator

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

After three years of waiting, I was expecting a super TiVo that would be the best of both worlds. Finally I could go back to the TiVo interface I preferred for many years, get rid of the completely asinine and senseless 50-program season pass limit, etc. But I wasn't expecting the price of doing so would be to lose essential features like whole-home viewing.

Three years ago, I would have snatched a couple of these up in a heartbeat. But during the past three years, DirecTV's features and interface have moved on, while TiVo seems to be stuck in 2005. I really, really, really wanted to like this product... TiVo invented the DVR and I think they deserve to be successful. But sadly, they seem to be stuck in the past.

#96 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:21 PM

Does the TiVo have to have a phone line to call in like the HR10-250? Or can it use a internet connection?

#97 OFFLINE   gb07

gb07

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

Somewhat dissappointed. I, like everyone else have been waiting for this Tivo box to finally arrive. Unfortunately, during the wait, being disgruntled with Directv's service or lack thereof, and overpaying IMO, I have since switched to cable. The bonus by doing this for me besides paying a much cheaper rate, was I would finally get to ditch my much hated Directv boxes and get one of the new Tivo boxes. But I have still always kept an eye on Directv/Tivo to see when this box would arrive and what it would have.

I can tell you that from what I have read, its not Tivo that has been stuck behind, its Directv holding them back. I cannot believe that we have all waited this long, 3 years or more, for old hardware that they allready had, and an interface that is unchanged from what we are all familiar with. It makes me wonder what they were actually doing for three years.

Things that my cable tivo has that IMO should have been included on the Directivo box are things like, Netflix, Blockbuster, Amazon, you tube instant streaming. Pandora radio, HD interface which DOES play video in the corner while you browse. I can search for shows that arent just coming up on tv, but for shows or movies that are available on any of the streaming sites and it will tell you who has them. For example, if I want to watch episode 2 of season 2 of Modern Family, and its not on tv, it will tell me that Hulu has it, or netflix, or whoever, then I can tell it to watch it on Hulu, and it starts playing it. The new box also has whole house capability, including being able to download shows on your pc and move them to your Ipad or Iphone. All this features should have IMO made it on this new box. So IMO directv has crippled this machine, because the new Cable Tivos do so much more than what this shows, its simply embarassing. I dont know how else to put it.

#98 OFFLINE   IDisposable

IDisposable

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

I had thought that I would not want this, but having looked at the "First Look" this may change.

1. I have no use for Whole Home. One TV, so that's not a problem.
2. Channels-I-Get being editable to "Channels I Have Some Remote Interest In" as a filter to searches is a BIG DEAL.
3. Unlimited Season Passes are good.
4. My wife has NEVER been willing to learn the HRxx interface. She did use the late, lamented HR10-250. You have no idea how big a plus this might be.

Hey, I don't remember posting this... but it is definitely me... hmmm.

Oh, and Suggestions and being able to Thumbs Down infomercials gives me a perverse pleasure.

#99 OFFLINE   StingrayJG

StingrayJG

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Very interesting info.

Thanks for posting.

#100 OFFLINE   MX727

MX727

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:21 AM

There was an issue with the THR where if you were watching a channel, say 206, from the 30 minute buffer and a recording started, you would lose the buffer. Very aggravating. Did they fix that?

The exact situation would be that you would be watching a few minutes behind the buffer. Say you it was 7pm and you were watching Sports Center at the 6:50 mark. A recoding started at 7pm If you fast forwarded past 7pm, you could no longer rewind before the recording started. It may be hard for you to visualize, but once it happens and you miss the end of a show, you'd understand the issue.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...