Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:27 AM

Does the TiVo have to have a phone line to call in like the HR10-250? Or can it use a internet connection?

No phone line needed. Internet connection is also not required, but useful for OnDemand/CinemaPlus stuff.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   jfh

jfh

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

What quite a few of you seem to be forgetting is that DirecTV dictated the feature set to TiVo, not the other way around. KidZone, one of the last differentiating features, was removed at the last minute. DirecTV did not want the TiVo HDUi or any of the newer features on the Virgin box; same with MRV.

I suspect DTV will market these to the extent they have to meet the minimums required by their contract with TiVo. I was a DTV customer for a long time, because of TiVo. Left when I couldn't get MPG4 channels and would have been back in a flash if this new box at least supported MRV.

This box may be ok for some, but if it wasn't clear that DTV really has no interest in TiVo, it should be now.

#103 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

What quite a few of you seem to be forgetting is that DirecTV dictated the feature set to TiVo, not the other way around. KidZone, one of the last differentiating features, was removed at the last minute. DirecTV did not want the TiVo HDUi or any of the newer features on the Virgin box; same with MRV.

That's all conjecture, since we do not have evidence to support either way.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#104 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:52 AM

Good job Stuart, et al.

But I do miss the TiVo anticipation thread -- NOT!!

#105 OFFLINE   Surveyor40

Surveyor40

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

Stuart, once again an awesome first look, thank you.

And, where did you find the time to unbox, activate, test, capture pix, populate template, then publish all in just - what a few days?
My Setup
14 year D* customer, LONG LIVE D*'s HDPC

#106 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Stuart, once again an awesome first look, thank you.

And, where did you find the time to unbox, activate, test, capture pix, populate template, then publish all in just - what a few days?

Aliens ;)
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#107 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:46 AM

Joe Sixpack wants to enter a name or etc and be done with it, not have to enter all those symbols and etc, TIVO accomplishes the same searches that the DIRECTV DVR'S do mucmuch simplier where DIRECTV adds unneeded steps.

Not to mention that the Boolean codes are not documented...unless you are a member here, you have no idea they exist. At least the TiVo has them available in the UI.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#108 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14 AM

At the risk of being scolded, I, too, can't understand why anyone would want one of these. I really like the interface of the old Tivo unites but eventually learned to live with the new. I was really hopeful that the Tivo unit would be comparable to the features in the DTV DVRs and fix the !@#$ing lag and difficulties with changing channels, etc. on the DTV boxes. I'm just not going to give up some of these things for that problem alone. As soon as Sunday Ticket isn't locked up by DTV none of these 'advancements' will keep me here as long as my receivers can't do something as simple as change channels in an acceptable amount of time.

I had the first Tivo and several of the DirecTV models (among Ultimate TV as well). It's unfortunate that a decade later it looks like the Tivo box still does about the same and only the same things.

#109 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:24 AM

Anyone who wants one... that's ok with me.

There are those who are holding onto older SD TiVos or HR10s because they really like the interface. This will be a home run for them because it's the same interface.

If it's not for you... DIRECTV offers the HR2x series DVR as well as the HR34 DVR. Both of those are great devices that may offer the features you want.

Now, if the only thing that would make you happy would be all of the features of an HR34, including 5 tuners, PIP, 90 minute buffers, etc., along with all the features of a TiVo Premiere Elite, including all the online content, TiVo Desktop integration, etc., all for the price of $199 with no additional monthly fee... you're going to be disappointed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#110 OFFLINE   Castaa

Castaa

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Will it be possible to installed the new TiVo UI onto a HR-22 box? Since they are exactly the same hardware, they should allow this. I'll pay extra for it.

#111 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Will it be possible to installed the new TiVo UI onto a HR-22 box? Since they are exactly the same hardware, they should allow this. I'll pay extra for it.

Theoretically? Yes. Likely? Never.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#112 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,711 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

I'm not even sure it's theoretically possible. There may be some firmware/gateware on the motherboard that's unique to for the Tivo software.

At any rate, it's been made clear that they will not support "upgrading" an HR22 to a THR22.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#113 OFFLINE   Castaa

Castaa

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:44 PM

Maybe someone will create a hack. :D

#114 OFFLINE   hihostevo

hihostevo

Mentor

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:20 PM

Very Nice Review Stuart.... but I fear this falls into the too little too late catagory.

Yes I do like the Tivo interface, but to base in on the HR22... please!

Up until recently I had 5 of the HR-20's... finally one sufferred a stroke... and the refurb replacement I was sent faired no better... so DTV sent out a technician that left me with a shiney new HR24. As every TV is currently connected to it's own DVR I have not felt the need for the "whole house" capability.

I did recently by two 3D televisions so had to call up DTV to find out what I needed to do to access the 3D channels. Instead of sending me out new HR24's they mailed out two refurbed HR23's..., but they seem to work with the 3D channels so I will remain slightly miffed (as an 11 year customer I thought I had earned new units) but functional.

I for the life of me cannot figure out what anyone would pay extra for this Tivo unit... (and I have had and loved many Tivo's over the years including he original HR10-250's when the first were released)

#115 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Why all the bafflement over why anyone would pay for the DTV HD Tivo box. Let me break it down for you. Many people just prefer using what they already are used to using successfully. They don't want new features, they want what they have, but they also want HD. Enter the HD Tivo. As Stuart says, many customers still are running R10s, the last of the SD Directivos. We have (or had) two of them (still using one), both pretty much owned and operated by my wife and daughter. They didn't like the HR20 when it came out back in 2006 (they saw all the missed recordings, sound issues, etc. and just laughed and went on recording on their R10s). Now, they like HD, but still see the DTV boxes as undesirable. They don't care about the features, etc. They just want to record some stuff, time shift, and be done with it. Is that so hard to fathom? Maybe for some DBSTalk pros, I guess. But not everyone cares about all the the stuff on the HRXX boxes. I still have both the HR20 (now moved to the bedroom) and a new HR23. I am fine with them. But when I saw how the HD Tivo FFs and REWs during an NFL game, I was happy to have that new HD Tivo too. The best of both worlds, and I guess I am willing to pay for it.

Also, not sure where to ask this, maybe Stuart would have an answer. The THR22 forced download problem has been resolved, and the HD Tivo is working. However, the red recording light is on constantly, even when not recording something. This would seem like a problem, should I get a replacement box? Thanks in advance anyone who has a suggestion.

#116 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

The HR series is about as unhackable as a DVR/receiver gets...possible maybe, but not very likely.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#117 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Why all the bafflement over why anyone would pay for the DTV HD Tivo box. Let me break it down for you. Many people just prefer using what they already are used to using successfully. They don't want new features, they want what they have, but they also want HD. Enter the HD Tivo. As Stuart says, many customers still are running R10s, the last of the SD Directivos. We have (or had) two of them (still using one), both pretty much owned and operated by my wife and daughter. They didn't like the HR20 when it came out back in 2006 (they saw all the missed recordings, sound issues, etc. and just laughed and went on recording on their R10s). Now, they like HD, but still see the DTV boxes as undesirable. They don't care about the features, etc. They just want to record some stuff, time shift, and be done with it. Is that so hard to fathom? Maybe for some DBSTalk pros, I guess. But not everyone cares about all the the stuff on the HRXX boxes. I still have both the HR20 (now moved to the bedroom) and a new HR23. I am fine with them. But when I saw how the HD Tivo FFs and REWs during an NFL game, I was happy to have that new HD Tivo too. The best of both worlds, and I guess I am willing to pay for it.

Also, not sure where to ask this, maybe Stuart would have an answer. The THR22 forced download problem has been resolved, and the HD Tivo is working. However, the red recording light is on constantly, even when not recording something. This would seem like a problem, should I get a replacement box? Thanks in advance anyone who has a suggestion.

My thr22 doesn't have the record light on all the time. But, I turned off suggestions. Is it possible that it's recording suggestions?

#118 OFFLINE   lilydog10

lilydog10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:04 PM

Bingo. I tried turning off suggestions because it was collecting random shows, and even after I stopped recording and deleted the shows, it remained on but wasn't recording. So I did a red button reset, and the light went out. Should be permanent, I think. Thanks.

#119 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,972 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

Is it possible to "send a report"? The stuck red light on until a RBR sounds like a good reason to post an error report.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#120 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:26 AM

It is not possible from what I understand. There are things that would need to be updated that could not be updated over the air.

Again, I believe it is not even theoretically possible.

This is not the place for that discussion.

Is it possible to "send a report"? The stuck red light on until a RBR sounds like a good reason to post an error report.

It is not possible to send a report.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...