Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DBSTalk Exclusive First Look: DIRECTV THR22 HD DVR with TiVo

• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,981 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

It is not possible from what I understand. There are things that would need to be updated that could not be updated over the air.

Again, I believe it is not even theoretically possible.

Probably the core bootloader. The reason that would be protected is so a bad OTA update can't brick the box. The likely has a recovery mechanism to try and restore a faulty download (or even a power failure during and update).

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Bingo. I tried turning off suggestions because it was collecting random shows, and even after I stopped recording and deleted the shows, it remained on but wasn't recording. So I did a red button reset, and the light went out. Should be permanent, I think. Thanks.

Glad it fixed after the reset. Maybe it wasn't just recording suggestions, but also downloading showcases and "updating data" from one of the service channels too.

#123 OFFLINE   Average user

Average user

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'm just an "average user". Got my THR22-100 yesterday and easily had it up an running with no real difficulty. I switched to this model because I had the previous DirecTV Tivo model years ago and I really missed the "wish list" option. I must say I'm rather disappointed at first look, as I would have expected more evolution in software to have taken place since this hiatus. I do have some specific questions, if anyone can answer them:

1- How do you MUTE the sound effects that happen when using the remote control (fast forward, select. etc)?

2- How do you enlarge the GRID on the guide (for old people like myself who have deteriorating vision)?

3- Why don't I have "picture in picture" when I'm surfing the guide? I used to be able to watch TV while surfing for future shows to watch.

4- How do I hide the "duplicate" SD channels in the guide. I really only need to see the HD ones if both are offered. Also, I seem to get two copies of my local 5pm news recorded, I guess because channel 9 appears twice in my guide?

I have other questions, like what is "Swivel Guide" and why doesn't it seem to do anything? I also cannot seem to see any VOD programming, even though my DVR is hooked up to a DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit (wireless) to communicate with my Wireless router (no landlines in my house since 2005).

I'm wondering that maybe I can't find these things because they're simply nonexistent with this model. Perhaps some of these functions can be included in future software updates?

#124 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

:welcome_s Average User!

1- How do you MUTE the sound effects that happen when using the remote control (fast forward, select. etc)?

There is a setting for that. Go into TiVo Central into the Settings menu and find the Remote Control Settings.

2- How do you enlarge the GRID on the guide (for old people like myself who have deteriorating vision)?

Unfortunately your option there would be to buy a bigger TV.

3- Why don't I have "picture in picture" when I'm surfing the guide? I used to be able to watch TV while surfing for future shows to watch.

That's not a feature of this DVR.

4- How do I hide the "duplicate" SD channels in the guide. I really only need to see the HD ones if both are offered. Also, I seem to get two copies of my local 5pm news recorded, I guess because channel 9 appears twice in my guide?

There is a settings menu for that. Again, go into TiVo Central, into the Settings menu, and I think it's called Channel Settings.

I have other questions, like what is "Swivel Guide" and why doesn't it seem to do anything? I also cannot seem to see any VOD programming, even though my DVR is hooked up to a DirecTV Cinema Connection Kit (wireless) to communicate with my Wireless router (no landlines in my house since 2005).

Swivel Search lets you search in a unique way. If you search for "STAR TREK" it will show you that William Shatner was in that show. You can then search for other shows that William Shatner was in.

I believe that most On Demand content for the TiVo is still forthcoming. When I did the first look, I only had about four channels of On Demand content, even after 24 hours of waiting. But... it's coming.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold out hope for a software update to add functionality. While I do believe there will be some sort of patch in 2012, I don't know if it will add any major functions.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#125 OFFLINE   drmanny3

drmanny3

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

I just received the unit and set it up for my parents. The picture quality is much improved over the HR10-250 (yes, I understand sd to hd) Also the look is just such an improvement. However, I am having one major issue. With the old Hr10-250 I was using a peanut remote that was able to control the Sony receiver that they use. The new peanut remote was unable to control the Sony receiver. So unfortuniately my parents must use the Sony remote to turn up the vol or turn it down. It adds a complexity I was hoping to avoid. Is there a way of acquiring more Sony receiver codes? I ordered a RF remote for the tivo unit. Perhaps this remote will have more code options? Any ideas out there would be appreciated.
Regards,
Manny

#126 OFFLINE   dwynne

dwynne

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:21 PM

No OTA / ATSC in the THR22? Does it work with the AM21N tuner? Looks like the "purchase price" of the THR22 and the HR24 are the same...

#127 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

No OTA / ATSC in the THR22? Does it work with the AM21N tuner? Looks like the "purchase price" of the THR22 and the HR24 are the same...

Yes, the THR22 will work with the AM21 and AM21N.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#128 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:34 PM

I just received the unit and set it up for my parents...I ordered a RF remote for the tivo unit. Perhaps this remote will have more code options? Any ideas out there would be appreciated.
Regards,
Manny

Do you mean you ordered an additional remote besides the one that came with the receiver? Because I was not expecting it, and I didn't see it advertised, but the remote that came with my THR-22 is both IR- and RF-capable.

Switching between IR- and RF-mode with the remote/receiver does not add any more code options, from what I can tell. It just changes the receiver to respond to only RF-signals and then it changes the remote to send only RF-signals to the receiver. After switching to RF, the remote still sends IR-signals to the components you programmed in the Remote Settings screen.

My box lists 12 codes for Sony A/V receivers: 1005, 1025, 1059, 1090, 1095, 1099, 1107, 1145, 1169, 1170, 1209, and 1216.

Newer Sony-devices are usually super-compatible, with DVD, BluRay, and TV remotes controlling each other without the need for extra programming. 9 times out of 10, when I'm programming a Sony, more than one code on the list ends up working. Good luck to you.

#129 OFFLINE   alk3997

alk3997

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Can you point me to a picture of the back panel? I'm trying to work out how easy or difficult it will be to interface the THR22 to our system.

Unfortunately the first look didn't have a photo.

Andy

#130 OFFLINE   SpewHole

SpewHole

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Can you point me to a picture of the back panel? I'm trying to work out how easy or difficult it will be to interface the THR22 to our system.

Andy

Check out the "First Pictures!" forum. There are pics posted there. Here is one of them:

http://www.flickr.co...7rm/6481870829/

#131 OFFLINE   drmanny3

drmanny3

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Do you mean you ordered an additional remote besides the one that came with the receiver? Because I was not expecting it, and I didn't see it advertised, but the remote that came with my THR-22 is both IR- and RF-capable.

Switching between IR- and RF-mode with the remote/receiver does not add any more code options, from what I can tell. It just changes the receiver to respond to only RF-signals and then it changes the remote to send only RF-signals to the receiver. After switching to RF, the remote still sends IR-signals to the components you programmed in the Remote Settings screen.

My box lists 12 codes for Sony A/V receivers: 1005, 1025, 1059, 1090, 1095, 1099, 1107, 1145, 1169, 1170, 1209, and 1216.

Newer Sony-devices are usually super-compatible, with DVD, BluRay, and TV remotes controlling each other without the need for extra programming. 9 times out of 10, when I'm programming a Sony, more than one code on the list ends up working. Good luck to you.

I tried all these codes and was not able to get the Sony to respond. This is a relatively new Sony home theater system with three hdmi outputs. No blue ray drive. Odd that the remote has you push in the tivo button and the mute button. Then once you input a code you are to press the mute to see if it works. I never say a mute signal show up or anything change on the sony unit. I sort of recall when setting up the hr10-250 peanut that I put in the code and then tried to lower the volume. Not sure of my next action.
Manny

#132 OFFLINE   BHYDE-1

BHYDE-1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

If you add an ESATA hard drive to the new DTIVO THR22, does the DVR treat the ESATA device like the other DirecTV DVRs, or like Tivo does?

On DirecTV DVRs, an ESATA drive replaces the hard drive inside the box. So the size of the ESATA device determines how much storage you have.

On Tivos, however, an ESATA drive supplements the original drive - i.e., add a 1TB ESATA to a 500 GB device, and you get 1.5 TB of storage.

I'm still waiting for the new device to be released where I live in CT - although I'm also waiting for release of the new HD GUI - which might influence my decision about whether to get the Tivo. As much as I prefer Tivo, Whole Home isn't available on the THR22, and I have found it useful from time to time.

#133 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:25 PM

Check out the "First Pictures!" forum. There are pics posted there. Here is one of them:

http://www.flickr.co...7rm/6481870829/

I heartily recommend that photo ;) Though this one is much cleaner and cable-free:

Posted Image
IMG_1924 by dirtyblueshirt, on Flickr
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#134 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

If you add an ESATA hard drive to the new DTIVO THR22, does the DVR treat the ESATA device like the other DirecTV DVRs, or like Tivo does?

On DirecTV DVRs, an ESATA drive replaces the hard drive inside the box. So the size of the ESATA device determines how much storage you have.

On Tivos, however, an ESATA drive supplements the original drive - i.e., add a 1TB ESATA to a 500 GB device, and you get 1.5 TB of storage.

I'm still waiting for the new device to be released where I live in CT - although I'm also waiting for release of the new HD GUI - which might influence my decision about whether to get the Tivo. As much as I prefer Tivo, Whole Home isn't available on the THR22, and I have found it useful from time to time.

It's like the DirecTV HD DVRs .... external drive replaces internal drive's capacity. Does not add to it.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#135 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:53 PM

Andy

There is a link on page 2 of the first look that takes you to the original hr21-100 first look. The hardware is the same except for the hard drive.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#136 OFFLINE   alk3997

alk3997

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

I heartily recommend that photo ;) Though this one is much cleaner and cable-free:

Thank you Aaron and SpewHole. Perfect. Looks like an HR22 on the back, so that should make integration easy - I can even get rid of a converter box or two compared to the HR10-250.

The eSata port will come in handy but I'm sure it has the same limitations as the HR22 for drive size.

Andy

#137 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,447 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

You can get a leased D* TiVo for only $599 at Weaknees. Comes with a 2TB drive.

Rich

#138 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

You can get a leased D* TiVo for only $599 at Weaknees. Comes with a 2TB drive.

Rich

Has anyone verified that if you get this souped up Tivo and have to return it to D* for some reason that they won't charge you for opening a leased receiver?

#139 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

Has anyone verified that if you get this souped up Tivo and have to return it to D* for some reason that they won't charge you for opening a leased receiver?

Weaknees usually provides warranty and service support on upgrade equipment you get through them.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#140 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:05 PM

Weaknees usually provides warranty and service support on upgrade equipment you get through them.

Right, but at some point that box is going to have to be returned to D*. Swap it for a newer model, or a change to an HR. Or, you'd have to return it if you cancel your account. What happens then?

Has anyone ever returned one of the boxes to D* and if so, what happened? Were you charged for opening a leased box?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...