Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV with receivers connected to different routers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   philbee

philbee

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:25 AM

Thanks to everyone about the great info on this forum.

I had a tech come and install "whole home" MRV last week and it worked fine, as long as both receivers are connected to the same router. However, I had to add a second router to extend wireless coverage in the house, and I'm having trouble hooking up the second router so it sees the first. To be specific, the following diagram is what I'm trying to set up:

cable modem
|
|
router 1 ------- DTV receiver 1
|
|
router 2 ------- DTV receiver 2

I've disabled the firewall on router 2, made sure their IP addresses don't conflict, and tried (maybe improperly) to add mutual routing table entries so the clients of each router can see each other. However, the receivers don't seem to be connected when I look at the playlist.

I haven't called tech support and am afraid it's too much to expect DTV to support me in this type of setup.

Could it be that receivers only support connecting to the immediate LAN for MRV? Is it likely that my routing table setup is what's causing the problem? Has anyone gotten a network setup similar to this working?

thanks and happy holidays,
Phil

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lhemmerich

lhemmerich

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

What you want is a single network
the cable from the 1st router to the second should go into one of the eithernet ports NOT the MODEM port

Give this router as static address of some number like 10.0.0.200 or what ever your network addresses are
turn OFF DCHP so that it is not handing out addresses...This now works as a switch ........and the wireless part will also work

That should work

Larry

Edited by lhemmerich, 11 December 2011 - 08:40 AM.
spelling

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

MRV only works on a single vlan/subnet....I have 2 routers, the second is running in wireless bridge mode, works fine, the whole network is on the same subnet that way. The second router is getting its IP from the 1st(statically of course), and it just acts as a "bridge" to allow the additional devices to get IP's from my primary router. AFAIK that is the only way it will work.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,064 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:07 AM

I set up a second router (running DD-WRT) as a wireless bridge and it even allows reassigning the WAN port as an additional LAN port.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,917 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

I set up a second router (running DD-WRT) as a wireless bridge and it even allows reassigning the WAN port as an additional LAN port.

This is what the OP should do. I have two routers that I have done this with, and it works great.

Also, something else is wrong with the post from the op. DirecTV doesn't do MRV setups using your own network, they only hook them up with deca, and connect them to your network with a ick or wick, so what happened to the op's deca setup?

#6 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,369 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Also, something else is wrong with the post from the op. DirecTV doesn't do MRV setups using your own network, they only hook them up with deca, and connect them to your network with a ick or wick, so what happened to the op's deca setup?

And the MRV use the coax to communicate between the receivers, correct?

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

This is what I'd be questioning as well.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Yup. If the Whole Home was set up correctly, it should not matter how many routers the OP has as the DVRs will be communicating via the coax network.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...