Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Simple Home Setup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   trailjunkee

trailjunkee

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Hey everybody. New here but looks like a great site. I've been doing some reading but haven't really seen anything about the setup that I have. Most of you have got a lot more TV's than we have it seems like:). Anyway, my contract is up and I've been watching these commercials for the whole home setups. Right now we've got 1 HR20-100 and a Hughes SD box. We've only got 2 TV's in the house; one for the adults and one for the kids. But I've been thinking about upgrading the kids' HDTV to an HD box and was thinking about going the whole home route. But as I've been reading it looks like if we keep just the one DVR anytime they want to watch something that is recorded or record something then I only have access to one tuner on the HR20 for my TV. Is that correct? Looks like I can get a new DVR right now for free so I was wondering about keeping the HR20 and getting a new HDDVR for their TV. Would I really want or need the multi-room setup. Any advice pro's, con's and what just seems to work well I'd really appreciate.

Also what do you guys think about the HR20-100? I got it quite a while back. Is it pretty outdated now? Should I just try to get a new DVR and maybe a Receiver for the kids? Well, thanks for your help and I'm going to keep digging and looking!

Bryan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,644 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

The HR20-100 is still on the "current" list. It's not as fast as the very latest HR24 models but it does work just fine and will get the new user interface when it comes to your area.

and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

Whole home [or MRV] is great if you want to watch recordings in more than one location, "or" have more than one DVR in the same location [which I do].
As you should know with your HR20, it only has 2 tuners, so if you want to watch "live TV", you can't record two programs. Adding another HD receiver doesn't change this. Adding a second DVR helps a bunch, and why I have two connected to the same TV.
With only yours and "the kids'" TV, unless you want both to be able to watch the same recordings, MRV may not be needed.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   trailjunkee

trailjunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Stuart and VOS. That's very helpful info. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do like I said. I'm probably going to call a push for them to give me the deal they are running on TV for new customers. I'm not sure that I asked my other question clearly about tuner usage though. For example, we recorded Frosty the other night. Let's say I get the MVR upgrade,get 1 additional HD receiver and keep the HR20 (and this is a definite option because I've been thinking about getting an external drive for a while). If the kids' are watching Frosty off of the playlist on the HR20 connected to my TV and not live TV, doesn't that use up one of the the "tuners" on the HR20 so that I would only be able to watch/record one additional program or watch one recorded program on my TV? Or when the receiver is getting a program from the DVR does it not really affect what the DVR does? Wow that was complicated and not much clearer.

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,381 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

AHHHH
What you're asking is does a MRV stream use a "tuner", and no it doesn't. It is merely reading the drive.
A tuner is for receiving the SAT signal.
Two recordings [or one live TV], one stream to a remote receiver and if you have internet, it can also download on demand too.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Wait to Feb '12 to upgrade to the 5-tuner HR34 & a H25 w/CCK (Cinema (Internet) Connection Kit). It fits all your needs.

There probably be all sorts of deals then to get existing customers to buy into the HMC.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#7 OFFLINE   trailjunkee

trailjunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Thanks again guys. I've spent the last couple of days really trying to read up on my options. From possibly upgrading my HR20 to a larger drive and purchasing a HD receiver to waiting for the HR34 to come out. I'm still really not sure what to do except to keep reading. Since we only have 2 TV's I'm not sure whether the 34 is really the right option although it sounds really nice. I also wonder whether there will be any deals to be had for a current customer (although out of contract) for that device in Feb. I think I'd have a shot at getting something close to the new customer deal for the the Whole Home setup they're running right now if I'm also willing to consider moving to Dish or Cable, and telling them that. But I know I've got to be willing to make that move if they won't give me a good deal. That would be nice to get all new equipment but I'd have to share the DVR with the receiver. That could really create some conflict between my recording schedule and 3 kids who want to record stuff :). But I think I saw when I logged in to the D* website that I could get an HD DVR for free so I could just get the new DVR and continue use my old one. I guess that would allow us to record 4 channels and 1 time and share all the recording if we get the Whole home setup. Then at that point I've got to decide whether to get D* to come out and setup their SWiM setup (is that right) or use my home network.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Again
Bryan

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

If you're going to back under contract, why not try for the newest stuff out there.

BTW, there is no overkill when it comes to storage, tuners or memory.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#9 OFFLINE   trailjunkee

trailjunkee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

No doubt about having the extra space and tuners. But from what I'm seeing that HR34 is running $400. I'm probably just not ready to spend that kind of money for a leased box. Think it might be less when they release them to us lowly long time customers.

BTW this may all go to pieces anyway because I just found an extra $50 charge on my account for a PPV that was supposedly ordered last night while we were asleep. If I can't get that resolved I'm probably gone. Haven't had a chance to talk to them about it yet but I've got a bad feeling. Sorry just worrying and venting.

spam firewall