Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV coax whole home network not working

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hey, so after spending over an hour on the phone with CSRs trying to fix the problem with my whole home network I've decided to try and fix it myself largely through whatever guidance anyone on here can offer me. I have a whole home network set up through DirecTV, my HD DVR is an HR24/500. The receiver in my room is an H25/500. When the installation took place, the guy set it up through the coax cables that he installed. I have an SWM that has a coax going to the DVR and the other going to the dish's 4 port device which is also connected to the dish, and the other coax cable is going to the receiver in my room. (as you can tell I don't know the terminology well, I picked up some tricks along the way from a friend who is an IT wizard but we no longer live together). The home network worked perfectly for a few months and all of a sudden stopped working. I have no idea what happened that caused the home network to stop working. The whole home status says authorized, no networked DVRs found on both my HR24/500, and the H25/500. When I select the network services, it says the IP address is 169.254.5.8. (any significance?) The entire network was set up before I had my internet set up, so I have no idea what caused the issue because I was able to order movies and download shows from DTV Cinema. When I hit connect now, the message unable to start network services <301> comes up. I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions on how I can fix this or steps to take? Per the advice of the CSR, I restarted both boxes via the red button. Still nothing. I appreciate any feedback, and if possible to phrase using basic language as I am certainly a novice. Thanks!

Dustin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

You don't have any ethernet plugged into the HR24, correct? There shouldn't be.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hey, so after spending over an hour on the phone with CSRs trying to fix the problem with my whole home network I've decided to try and fix it myself largely through whatever guidance anyone on here can offer me. I have a whole home network set up through DirecTV, my HD DVR is an HR24/500. The receiver in my room is an H25/500. When the installation took place, the guy set it up through the coax cables that he installed. I have an SWM that has a coax going to the DVR and the other going to the dish's 4 port device which is also connected to the dish, and the other coax cable is going to the receiver in my room. (as you can tell I don't know the terminology well, I picked up some tricks along the way from a friend who is an IT wizard but we no longer live together). The home network worked perfectly for a few months and all of a sudden stopped working. I have no idea what happened that caused the home network to stop working. The whole home status says authorized, no networked DVRs found on both my HR24/500, and the H25/500. When I select the network services, it says the IP address is 169.254.5.8. (any significance?) The entire network was set up before I had my internet set up, so I have no idea what caused the issue because I was able to order movies and download shows from DTV Cinema. When I hit connect now, the message unable to start network services <301> comes up. I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions on how I can fix this or steps to take? Per the advice of the CSR, I restarted both boxes via the red button. Still nothing. I appreciate any feedback, and if possible to phrase using basic language as I am certainly a novice. Thanks!

Dustin

Don't worry about "network services", as they have nothing to do with this.
You had internet before, so "I'm guessing" you also have a black DECA connected to your home network.
What has happened is your HR24 and/or H25 have lost the coax network.
The 169.xxx IP is a sign that this receiver can't find your router and get the IP from it. If it did it would be "something like" 192.xxx
Check the system info screen [more info] and look under networking and see if it says "coax connected".
If yes, then reset your networking to defaults, and restart [use the menu] the receiver.
If not, then re-run the SAT setup to reactivate the internal DECA.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:14 PM

You don't have any ethernet plugged into the HR24, correct? There shouldn't be.

it wouldn't have a 169.xxx IP. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,123 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:16 PM

it wouldn't have a 169.xxx IP. ;)

I tried. :lol: :bowdown: to VOS.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

I tried. :lol: :bowdown: to VOS.

"Actually" it could but not be going to the router, which would explain why this whole thing took "a dump" :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:34 PM

Now that I have re-set and followed your suggestions re: resetting network defaults and restarting the HR24/500, is it supposed to work or what step do I take now to set up the network properly?

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

Now that I have re-set and followed your suggestions re: resetting network defaults and restarting the HR24/500, is it supposed to work or what step do I take now to set up the network properly?

What you need to look at is the status of the HR24-500 network.
Does it say "coax connected"?
What is its IP address?
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

Run Network Setup/Restore Defaults on the H25-500.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#10 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Now it says Coax not connected (9)

IP address: 169.254.5.8

let me know if you want me to attach a pic of anything
btw, thanks so much for your help!!!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

That would have come up AFTER knowing the status of the HR24-500.

Baby steps or this will get very :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Now it says Coax not connected (9)

IP address: 169.254.5.8

let me know if you want me to attach a pic of anything
btw, thanks so much for your help!!!

So what currently is happening is, the 24 has disabled its internal DECA.
Now you need to re-run the SAT setup [sounds dumb I know] to get the DECA active again. Also make sure there isn't an ethernet cable connected to the HR24.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

As far as the "choose your dish configuration settings", I keep everything there the same, correct? (want to make sure I don't screw anything else up that wasn't previously broken)

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:58 PM

As far as the "choose your dish configuration settings", I keep everything there the same, correct? (want to make sure I don't screw anything else up that wasn't previously broken)

Right, you should be able to "merely" walk through the steps and get it to reboot at the end. This is how the DECA gets turned on, because it first has to know you're on a SWiM setup.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

I re-ran the SAT set-up successfully. What is the next step to take to set up the network successfully?

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I re-ran the SAT set-up successfully. What is the next step to take to set up the network successfully?

After it reboots, go back and look for "coax connected"
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Coax is now connected. IP address: 169.254.5.8

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Coax is now connected. IP address: 169.254.5.8

OK so far so good.
Do you have another black DECA connected to your home network/router?
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   det724

det724

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:14 PM

Nope, that was where my confusion came from in reading a multitude of your other threads where you advised other people in similar situations as mine. I have the HR 24/500 and the H25/500 with an SWiM. No additional DECA attached to my router and prior to the "mystery event" which caused my home network's problems, it functioned perfectly.

#20 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

. . . . as you can tell I don't know the terminology well, I picked up some tricks along the way . . . . I have no idea what happened that caused the home network to stop working. The whole home status says authorized, no networked DVRs found on both my HR24/500, and the H25/500. . . .

That would have come up AFTER knowing the status of the HR24-500.

Baby steps or this will get very :confused:

You get this no networked DVRs found. You do this.

And then to the HR24-500 if that one still doesn't see the network.

That is KISS.

Not all this checking IPs, and everything else they had the OP do.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...