Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

unOFFICAL iPad app live streaming channel anticipation thread

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:46 AM

I was surprised to not see one of these threads, so here goes.

With the channels that the app launched with, I'm pretty happy with it. They've probably already included every channel that they had rights to, so it may be quite a while before anything gets added.

If I could have any three channels that I wanted to be added, I'd pick:

ESPN
ESPN2
ESPNU

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,193 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Go ahead and throw ESPN3 in there. . . and NASA

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#3 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,268 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:49 PM

Well, if we're asking for stuff, I'll take the ESPN channels and my home RSN: Root Sports Northwest.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#4 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX

#5 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 05:27 AM

I am new to this...any reason why we cannot watch our local channels?

#6 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

I am new to this...any reason why we cannot watch our local channels?

Not sure if it's a business issue coming to terms with the locals, or a technical issue.

Technical issue may be that DirecTV has to create separate "low res" streams for every affiliate, because of local commercials.
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:05 AM

Not sure if it's a business issue coming to terms with the locals, or a technical issue.

I'm sure it's both. Every single local affiliate would have to be negotiated with. Bandwidth to deliver it all, no spot beams on streaming so they would have to control who gets what somehow.

Not only that, but locals broadcast things that they may not have the rights to stream. NFL, NCAA, NBA, NHL and more. If D* could do the East and West distant network feeds that would be one thing, but adding all the locals isn't something I see them doing.

#8 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

I'm sure it's both. Every single local affiliate would have to be negotiated with. Bandwidth to deliver it all, no spot beams on streaming so they would have to control who gets what somehow.

Not only that, but locals broadcast things that they may not have the rights to stream. NFL, NCAA, NBA, NHL and more. If D* could do the East and West distant network feeds that would be one thing, but adding all the locals isn't something I see them doing.

Thanks for the feedback. I see what is going on now. I was under the mistaken impression that I was actually using one of the tuners on my DVR to 'watch' live TV. So these channels are just pure internet streaming; I was thinking this would be a 'pseudo' slingbox. My bad.

spam firewall