Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baby First TV -- stealing candy from babies

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mistagriffit

mistagriffit

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

I was a fan of DirecTV until a few days ago.

Using "Public Interest Obligation" law to justify moving Baby First TV, a standard-definition channel, to a satellite location that requires HD equipment.

In other words, getting Baby First TV "free" requires upgraded equipment, payment of a monthly access fee, and signing a fresh two-year commitment. first-year costs of at least $120, $219 if one is not eligible for a free equipment upgrade. $15 per month remaining in the new contract if one needs to cancel.

leveraging a "public interest obligation" requirement into a basically coercive HD migration marketing initiative. . .ka-ching!

i already have complained, and you can too. go to fcc.gov, select "complaint" on the upper right. I used the options for "satellite provider," "marketing communication," and "false or misleading." it's hard to find the selections that applied, but since they are advertising this change on Baby First, you can basically complain that DirecTV's advertising message is false.

Seriously, there is no way they have to put this channel on an HD satellite location. it's a freaking standard definition channel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

I'm puzzled. You're complaining that a channel that currently costs extra each month will become free in January. But it will require HD-compatible dish and equipment? Seems like after several months you would have paid off any "upgrade costs", especially since they'll install an HD dish for free when you upgrade your other equipment to HiDef.

Have you actually called them to discuss this situation? Perhaps they'll cut you a good deal?

Here's what the DirecTV site has to say about this change ....

How do I get BabyFirstTV™?
Beginning January 16, 2012, BabyFirstTV™ will be included in all programming packages at no extra charge. You will no longer need to add it as an à la carte subscription at an additional charge. If you currently subscribe to BabyFirstTV™, the charges will stop in January.

You'll need to have an HD-capable reciever, HD dish, and HD Access ($10/month) to enjoy BabyFirstTV™. However, the content will still be broadcast in standard definition.

Below is a list of compatible DIRECTV receivers:

DIRECTV® HD Receiver: Models H20, H21, H23, H24, H25
DIRECTV® HD DVR: Models HR20, HR21, HR21P, HR22, HR23, HR24, HR34
TiVo® HD DVR from DIRECTV: Model THR22
DIRECTV® DVR: Model R22

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

so lets see what is the current monthly price?
is it less than $10 if its 10 or more then it would mean the change would get you more for your money

#4 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

so lets see what is the current monthly price?
is it less than $10 if its 10 or more then it would mean the change would get you more for your money

And if you can swing it you might be able to save the $10 by getting free HD with auto bill pay.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#5 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I think his complaint lies in that he does not have HD service/equipment.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#6 OFFLINE   adidas208

adidas208

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

I was a fan of DirecTV until a few days ago.

Using "Public Interest Obligation" law to justify moving Baby First TV, a standard-definition channel, to a satellite location that requires HD equipment.

In other words, getting Baby First TV "free" requires upgraded equipment, payment of a monthly access fee, and signing a fresh two-year commitment. first-year costs of at least $120, $219 if one is not eligible for a free equipment upgrade. $15 per month remaining in the new contract if one needs to cancel.

leveraging a "public interest obligation" requirement into a basically coercive HD migration marketing initiative. . .ka-ching!

i already have complained, and you can too. go to fcc.gov, select "complaint" on the upper right. I used the options for "satellite provider," "marketing communication," and "false or misleading." it's hard to find the selections that applied, but since they are advertising this change on Baby First, you can basically complain that DirecTV's advertising message is false.

Seriously, there is no way they have to put this channel on an HD satellite location. it's a freaking standard definition channel.

Quit youre crying and switch providers then. I am pretty sure dtv is the only provider of this channel.

#7 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything. Why would anyone pay for this channel? My son was a year old when this station came about and I would never pay extra $$ to entertain him with a tv channel when I can go buy DVDs and VHS tapes cheaper and no monthly fee. I'm just wondering what the appeal of it was.

#8 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

maybe he doesn't have HD equipment?

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

If the FCC didn't have an issue with them doing this with NASA TV in August, or God TV un January, they probably won't do much here either.

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,649 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

maybe he doesn't have HD equipment?

Right. But DirecTV will provide an HD dish with free installation when HD Receivers/DVRs are added to the account. And even the $10/mo HD Package fee is waived if you sign up for paperless bill paying.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:39 PM

They pulled the same thing with the NASA channel.

I don't have any young children, but I DID enjoy watching the NASA channel with my non-HD subscription to DirecTV. If this "ploy" continues with more channels, I'll probably upgrade to satellite HD-just not from DirecTV since I don't like the way it's being done.

I also don't like the way DirecTV refuses to let subscribers smart enough to purchase and install their own slimline dish who posess an R22 to subscribe to their HD programming without a new commitment.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#12 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

They pulled the same thing with the NASA channel.

I don't have any young children, but I DID enjoy watching the NASA channel with my non-HD subscription to DirecTV. If this "ploy" continues with more channels, I'll probably upgrade to satellite HD-just not from DirecTV since I don't like the way it's being done.

I also don't like the way DirecTV refuses to let subscribers smart enough to purchase and install their own slimline dish who posess an R22 to subscribe to their HD programming without a new commitment.

what about people in MPEG4 only local areas?

the R22 may be more a gray area and directv seemed to back off of there plans when it was rolling out at first.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#13 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything. Why would anyone pay for this channel? My son was a year old when this station came about and I would never pay extra $$ to entertain him with a tv channel when I can go buy DVDs and VHS tapes cheaper and no monthly fee. I'm just wondering what the appeal of it was.

We paid for it.. and still do. and glad it'll be free in January!.. The $4.99 that it costs is a fraction of the price of one Baby Einstine video.. plus, at night, when the wife is getting him to calm down for the night (he's 5 months old) she turns it on and it has baby lullibies.. (plus.. going into Toys R us/Babies R Us or any of those stores that carry that, the wife will never leave with just a video.. it's also an outfit.. toys.. and more things that I've ever seen in my life. heh)

To each their own.. I've gotten by 4.99 a month out of it.. but will never complain that it's free :)

#14 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:39 PM

Non mainstream channels are going to be moved to make room for channels that have a wider interest. You can buy an owned HD or HD DVR on here or other sites usually pretty cheap. Now if it's just for baby first you can determine if it's worth $10 a month for that channel however even on SD TV's HD channels look much better and would be worth it just for that.

#15 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:39 AM

I remember when kids used to go outside and play! These babies are getting lazy!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#16 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 04:40 AM

I remember when kids used to go outside and play! These babies are getting lazy!

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#17 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

For what it's worth, "current research" shows its not very helpful to plop young kids in front of a TV, anyway, actually stunting their development. My kids are loooong past the baby stage, but even to this day, I don't encourage them to vegetate in front of the TV; my kids only ever had antenna access in their rooms, and even then not until they were 13.

Anyway to be even somewhat on topic, its really getting to be past time that HD is treated as some special option and should be the basic service.

Edited by JeffBowser, 14 December 2011 - 08:41 AM.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#18 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

I agree they should just drop all the SD recivers and have only HD

easy transition
1. stop making the SD ones
2. remove the $10 fee completely
3. fix the HDgui's output to SD
then in time all the SD recivers will go away

also have you seen the crap that kids watch these days? there've been studies that most TV for really young kids makes them dumber

#19 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,512 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

Most of what is televised these days is crap, period. Hollywood is struggling, too, according to recent articles. I'll stop there before I go off on a rant that will have Stuart on me tail :lol:

also have you seen the crap that kids watch these days? there've been studies that most TV for really young kids makes them dumber

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#20 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,719 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:44 AM

I agree they should just drop all the SD recivers and have only HD

easy transition
1. stop making the SD ones
2. remove the $10 fee completely
3. fix the HDgui's output to SD
then in time all the SD recivers will go away

Color TV was introduced in the U.S. in 1954. Full color broadcasting didn't occur until 1966 or 1967. The use of black and white TV sets continued years after that. It was a long, slow transition. The same applies to the transition from SD to HD. A long, slow process. Read some of Satelliteracer's posts. He's explained several times why it's not easy going from SD to HD. As for the crap kids are watching on TV you can thank their parents for allowing them to do so.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...