Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baby First TV -- stealing candy from babies

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Well said, oh mysterious one!

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

I remember when kids used to go outside and play! These babies are getting lazy!

Funny you should say that. Some of my old friends decided to get together and have a pickup ball hockey game. When we got talking, we started to ask; where are our sons and why aren't they out here playing ball hockey? When I was a kid, we used to play baseball for 6 months, put the bat down and pick up a hockey stick for 6 months. That was a pattern that went on for 20 years, for years into my marriage. Kids now just sit in front of a computer screen or walk around with ear buds on and glaring into their smart phones. Our society has turned into a wimp society, with politically correct protocol taking over.

#23 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Funny you should say that. Some of my old friends decided to get together and have a pickup ball hockey game. When we got talking, we started to ask; where are our sons and why aren't they out here playing ball hockey? When I was a kid, we used to play baseball for 6 months, put the bat down and pick up a hockey stick for 6 months. That was a pattern that went on for 20 years, for years into my marriage. Kids now just sit in front of a computer screen or walk around with ear buds on and glaring into their smart phones. Our society has turned into a wimp society, with politically correct protocol taking over.

Why not bring your sons out to play?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#24 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

I don't mean this to sound arrogant or anything. Why would anyone pay for this channel? My son was a year old when this station came about and I would never pay extra $$ to entertain him with a tv channel when I can go buy DVDs and VHS tapes cheaper and no monthly fee. I'm just wondering what the appeal of it was.

I think that's probably why its part of a package and not part of a separate subscription anymore. I often wondered why anyone would pay$4.99/month for BabyTV. Apparently, many others did, too.

#25 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Why not bring your sons out to play?

I only have a daughter, but my friends have sons and they're just not interested.

Edited by PrinceLH, 14 December 2011 - 06:30 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Quit youre crying and switch providers then. I am pretty sure dtv is the only provider of this channel.

Dish carries it too. Free with any service (even Welcome Pack)

#27 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

I also don't like the way DirecTV refuses to let subscribers smart enough to purchase and install their own slimline dish who posess an R22 to subscribe to their HD programming without a new commitment.

its their internal system that doesnt allow it. From another forum

To everyone who has R22 in regards to HD and MRV: Directv TV systems Sibel's Rio and it underlying framework sees the R22 as an SD DVR Only. This is a unit that never left limited production as DTV realized what a pain it was going to be to deal with. So on an account with JUST R22s you can not add MRV or HD even though the R22 hardware and software support HD and MRV. This is not an issue of equipment but on limitations of directv own internal software systems. For MRV to be added you need to have 1 HDDVR and 1HD box at the minimum. NO ifs NO ands NO buts.

As some one with 2 R22's when I upgraded to HD I had to get a HD receiver on the account. So I got a H23 and put that on a SDTV and kept the 2 R22's on the account on HDTV's :)

#28 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Seriously, there is no way they have to put this channel on an HD satellite location. it's a freaking standard definition channel.

99W & 103W have SD channels too. Its more of the station being moved to MPEG4 (from MPEG2 which is what the SD channels are)

And before you say it, Dish does it too with their "Platinum Pack now called Blockbuster movie pack". They're got a few SD only channels in the bunch

#29 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

OK, I was letting that go, but now I have to comment. I was referring to how they treated the product (not the adoption process), as something unique and special, to be charged extra for. You wait 10 yrs for something to be mainstream these days, and it's obsolete 5 years ago.

Besides, addressing the tech, times are different. 10 and 20yr adoption cycles are looooong gone, as much as the older ones among us (and yes I count myself in there) don't like it.

Color TV was introduced in the U.S. in 1954. Full color broadcasting didn't occur until 1966 or 1967. The use of black and white TV sets continued years after that. It was a long, slow transition. The same applies to the transition from SD to HD. A long, slow process. Read some of Satelliteracer's posts. He's explained several times why it's not easy going from SD to HD. As for the crap kids are watching on TV you can thank their parents for allowing them to do so.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#30 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:00 AM

so lets see what is the current monthly price?
is it less than $10 if its 10 or more then it would mean the change would get you more for your money

Sounds like this is all this is,GREED FROM DIRECTV!!!!!

They will give that FREE but they get you in FEEs for getting thier garbage! (They are trying to get of all the boxs that arent theres (As an excuse to get $$$) and its sickening!)

I have had them 12 years and if they try to make me get rid of my box I WILL CANCEL IN 2 SECONDS!!!! (My box is the best i have ever had,the speed and response cant beat)

#31 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

I never could figure out what the appeal of Baby First TV was when I saw the free previews. My 2yo niece loves Sprout on channel 295. She knows all the different shows and the schedule by heart. I think it's helped her with cognitive, verbal and social skills too.

#32 OFFLINE   djmaxwell

djmaxwell

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

I never could figure out what the appeal of Baby First TV was when I saw the free previews. My 2yo niece loves Sprout on channel 295. She knows all the different shows and the schedule by heart. I think it's helped her with cognitive, verbal and social skills too.

My daughter liked it when she was about that age, although she likes stuff on Sprout and Nick Jr as well. I will confess, though, I do have a bit of a soft spot for Tech the Tractor. I'm looking forward to being able to see it for free. :dance:

#33 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:24 AM

A) Why in the H*LL is a 5 month old in front of any kind of electronic screen.

B) If I'm correct in assuming that it has been moved to either 99 or 103, then any DirecTV system that can't get it is in the dark ages and it's owners should get with the program. I am routinely baffled as to why people who pay for TV don't have HDTV. They just don't get it.

If anything gets moved to 119, then I feel bad for people in the big DMAs, since they all seem to get installed on the Slimline-3 dishes, not the Slimline-5's that have access to 110 and 119. Here, any installation will have access to all 5, since our locals are spot'ed on 119.

#34 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

B) If I'm correct in assuming that it has been moved to either 99 or 103, then any DirecTV system that can't get it is in the dark ages and it's owners should get with the program. I am routinely baffled as to why people who pay for TV don't have HDTV. They just don't get it.

1. Finances
2. Older in age
3. Not that big a deal to them
4. Other reasons.

Take your pick.

My wife does cancer research and one of her patients doesn't have HD in their apartment. Should HD be that big of a deal to them?
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#35 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,954 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

1 - Baby First TV is pointless. There is simply no science behind it (or its video alternatives). Babies have no business watching TV.

2 - DirecTV is changing ONE CHANNEL and the OP (a first time poster) thinks this is so important he has to call the FCC!!!!!!!! Goodness! It goes from $6/month to "free" (included in a basic package). All you have to do is get an equipment upgrade you need anyway, which DirecTV will probably give you free, and which if not the cost of which will be far less than paying for the channel in just a few months. This makes me rethink my point #1 relative to the OP's child. Spending time with TV has to be better than the alternative.

#36 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

Kids nowadays and their Rock and Roll music.

Complaints like this have been going on for generations and generations and it is no different now. The world isn't going to end and when our kids have their own kids they will be complaining about "kids nowadays" as well.
Mike

My system:

HR21
HR22 w/ AM21
R15
SWM-8
Slimline5 w/ no LOS to 119 Slimline3

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

1 - Baby First TV is pointless. There is simply no science behind it (or its video alternatives). Babies have no business watching TV.

2 - DirecTV is changing ONE CHANNEL and the OP (a first time poster) thinks this is so important he has to call the FCC!!!!!!!! Goodness! It goes from $6/month to "free" (included in a basic package). All you have to do is get an equipment upgrade you need anyway, which DirecTV will probably give you free, and which if not the cost of which will be far less than paying for the channel in just a few months. This makes me rethink my point #1 relative to the OP's child. Spending time with TV has to be better than the alternative.

But, it's not the first one they've done this to, and whole many probably can get free equipment, it wold trigger a contract. I don't see it as greed as some suggest, since many don't pay the HD fee anyway. But I do hope these are the exceptions.

#38 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

The OP is out of line. DirecTV can change its channel lineup at anytime and require new equipment to view programming. If the OP has a problem, change providers.

#39 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,751 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Or (though this requires hardware and monthly fee, but no contracts), get a Roku.

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

They pulled the same thing with the NASA channel.

I don't have any young children, but I DID enjoy watching the NASA channel with my non-HD subscription to DirecTV. If this "ploy" continues with more channels, I'll probably upgrade to satellite HD-just not from DirecTV since I don't like the way it's being done.

I also don't like the way DirecTV refuses to let subscribers smart enough to purchase and install their own slimline dish who posess an R22 to subscribe to their HD programming without a new commitment.

Sounds like this is all this is,GREED FROM DIRECTV!!!!!

They will give that FREE but they get you in FEEs for getting thier garbage! (They are trying to get of all the boxs that arent theres (As an excuse to get $$$) and its sickening!)

I have had them 12 years and if they try to make me get rid of my box I WILL CANCEL IN 2 SECONDS!!!! (My box is the best i have ever had,the speed and response cant beat)

Maybe this is just the very beginning of DirecTV's move to all mpeg-4.

I have a feeling that they will upgrade anyone to hd equipment for free if they sub to babytv right now. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Per month, this will be cheaper if you use auto pay, so I don't see any increase in price there. The only possible increase is for those they won't offer free upgrades to, but again, if your currently a Babytv sub, then I'd ask them for free upgrade, and I bet they will accommodation no matter what.

spam firewall