Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Baby First TV -- stealing candy from babies

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:09 PM

Maybe this is just the very beginning of DirecTV's move to all mpeg-4.

I have a feeling that they will upgrade anyone to hd equipment for free if they sub to babytv right now. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Per month, this will be cheaper if you use auto pay, so I don't see any increase in price there. The only possible increase is for those they won't offer free upgrades to, but again, if your currently a Babytv sub, then I'd ask them for free upgrade, and I bet they will accommodation no matter what.

Once the new customer offer starts only offering mpeg 4 receivers is when the transition really starts. The HR34 however was, I think, the first real step to prepare for that.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

I suspect that they will migrate to all mpeg-4 from several directions, and I should have said this may be the begin in terms of national broadcast channels, they have already stared that thinking with some of the LIL's. I think they will do it via hardware, and offerings both.

#43 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

I suspect that they will migrate to all mpeg-4 from several directions, and I should have said this may be the begin in terms of national broadcast channels, they have already stared that thinking with some of the LIL's. I think they will do it via hardware, and offerings both.

well they need to do some thing about all the sports bar's and hotels with SD boxes and SD matrix switches / analog cox. Directv may need to keep stocks of older h23 / h24 that has more ports then what the h25 has and the older h23 / h24 works with Multi-switchs. Now HD boxes can out put SD for the older matrix switches but they don't have analog cox out.

Also I think that Commercial places own the receivers so Directv may have to offer a deal in where they give you free HD equipment upgrade (up X boxes I think most places have at least 8 boxes) + dish + Multi-switch + SWIM + dish. For signing up for HD. But any ways down the road as SD goes way they may have to do it any ways. Maybe also have some kind of kick back to help the Commercial places on the upgrade cost to the matrix switches systems.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#44 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

The OP is out of line. DirecTV can change its channel lineup at anytime and require new equipment to view programming. If the OP has a problem, change providers.

No he's not.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#45 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

No he's not.

While you may agree with them [which is fine], the OP looks to be a hit and run poster, since there is one post, this thread, and three minutes later was their last activity [six days ago] on this forum.
A.K.A VOS

#46 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Right. But DirecTV will provide an HD dish with free installation when HD Receivers/DVRs are added to the account. And even the $10/mo HD Package fee is waived if you sign up for paperless bill paying.

And you are locked in to another 2 year agreement as well, which might be something the topic starter does not want.

In my opinion, his complaint is SOMEWHAT valid. Why does DirecTV have to move the channel to a satellite that some current viewers might not be able to receive due to the lack of proper equipment? It is an SD channel, why not leave it exactly where it is?

In this situation, it seems like that if you don't currently have HD equipment (because you are happy with your current TV), the only way to continue to watch this BabyFirst channel, is to get locked in to another 2 year contract.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

And you are locked in to another 2 year agreement as well, which might be something the topic starter does not want.

In this situation, it seems like that if you don't currently have HD equipment (because you are happy with your current TV), the only way to continue to watch this BabyFirst channel, is to get locked in to another 2 year contract.

Not necessarily true. You can upgrade the dish yourself to a HD-capable dish and can purchase your own HD receivers (owned ones) or at least a MPEG-4 receiver, such as the R22. I'm not absolutely positive, but if you had a R22 receiver and a HD-capable dish, you should be able to see Baby First TV. If anything, you would need to subscribe to HD service, but using AutoPay you would get that fee credited back to you (in this case you would also require an actual HD receiver or DVR and not just a R22).

And since you are activating owned receivers, there would be no new lease agreement.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

Not necessarily true. You can upgrade the dish yourself to a HD-capable dish and can purchase your own HD receivers (owned ones) or at least a MPEG-4 receiver, such as the R22. I'm not absolutely positive, but if you had a R22 receiver and a HD-capable dish, you should be able to see Baby First TV. If anything, you would need to subscribe to HD service, but using AutoPay you would get that fee credited back to you (in this case you would also require an actual HD receiver or DVR and not just a R22).

And since you are activating owned receivers, there would be no new lease agreement.

- Merg

And again, if your currently a sub to baby tv, I'd call in and ask for a free upgrade with no new commitment, since they are changing how you can get it, and you are not trying to add it.

#49 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:20 PM

And again, if your currently a sub to baby tv, I'd call in and ask for a free upgrade with no new commitment, since they are changing how you can get it, and you are not trying to add it.

I'm guessing their wont be to many people that fall into this category, that sub to that and only have sd service.

#50 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

There will be an agreement there isn't a special upgrade just for this just like when NASA went to MPEG-4. Pricing will be based on the account.

#51 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

There will be an agreement there isn't a special upgrade just for this just like when NASA went to MPEG-4. Pricing will be based on the account.

Possibly, but remember, NASA was always a free service. Baby wasn't, you had to pay specifically for that channel. Makes the circumstances a little different. I guess we will find out in time.

#52 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

I was a fan of DirecTV until a few days ago.

Using "Public Interest Obligation" law to justify moving Baby First TV, a standard-definition channel, to a satellite location that requires HD equipment.

In other words, getting Baby First TV "free" requires upgraded equipment, payment of a monthly access fee, and signing a fresh two-year commitment. first-year costs of at least $120, $219 if one is not eligible for a free equipment upgrade. $15 per month remaining in the new contract if one needs to cancel.

leveraging a "public interest obligation" requirement into a basically coercive HD migration marketing initiative. . .ka-ching!

i already have complained, and you can too. go to fcc.gov, select "complaint" on the upper right. I used the options for "satellite provider," "marketing communication," and "false or misleading." it's hard to find the selections that applied, but since they are advertising this change on Baby First, you can basically complain that DirecTV's advertising message is false.

Seriously, there is no way they have to put this channel on an HD satellite location. it's a freaking standard definition channel.

Let's insert some facts into this thread. Comments like the one above and other comments like "they pulled this same thing with NASA" is nonsense.

This is not the case at all on a number of levels. Directv is required to have a certain number of PIO channels at various orbital slots by a percentage of total channels offered. The number is 4%. They needed to add another at 99/103 slot to be in compliance with that mandate. No different than NASA and GOD TV changes. There is no "ploy". As DTV has added channels at 99 and 103, they needed to also add PIO channels at those slots per the FCC.

From what I understand, the majority of Baby First customers have at least one HD receiver and are not affected. A small minority do not have MPEG4 HD equipment, but most of them are eligible for discounted or even free HD hardware upgrades. Not all, but most.

DTV is now allowing for the channel to be free to all of its customers that have HD equipment starting in mid January. It's unfortunate that some customers will have to upgrade to continue viewing BabyFirst, but to suggest this is a way to force HD upgrades is incorrect especially when considering why the channel is moving to the PIO designation in the first place. If DTV was forcing HD upgrades on people as some kind of ploy, they sure would have been smarter to pick a service that has many more subscribers than BabyFirst does. The accusation is ridiculous on all levels.

In the end, the vast majority of customers will get a channel for free that they would have had to pay for in the past. That's a good thing. Unfortunately, a small handful of customers will have to get an HD upgrade or not get the channel. What are these customers going to do in a few years when SD is no longer offered? Complain then as well? Get over it.

If you don't want to pay for the HD Access fee, go to auto bill pay and get it waived.

#53 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

Yes, at the point that SD is no longer offered I would have to complain and/or drop DTV entirely. Due to line of sight issues I can see none of the HD satellites. I see the SD satellite through a notch between two trees. The trees blocking LOS are all on my neighbors property so removing them is not an option.

#54 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 300 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

What are "PIO" channels?
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#55 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

What are "PIO" channels?

http://transition.fc...8/nrin8038.html

Mentions the 4% allocation already discussed earlier in this thread.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Yes, at the point that SD is no longer offered I would have to complain and/or drop DTV entirely. Due to line of sight issues I can see none of the HD satellites. I see the SD satellite through a notch between two trees. The trees blocking LOS are all on my neighbors property so removing them is not an option.

Are you sure about that? 99 and 103 spots are very close to 101 and usually if you can see 101 you can see the other two. Now it used to be all the hd came from 110 and. 119 and those two locations had all kinds of Los issues because they where so much further away, but that's changed, so if you haven't had that checked since then, I'd check again. I'd be amazed if your window is that small, That's an extremely rare situation.

#57 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

DTV is now allowing for the channel to be free to all of its customers that have HD equipment starting in mid January.

Right now there is a monthly charge for BFTV a la carte. Starting mid-January they are making it available for free to all customers. But I am sure they will have to pay a monthly carriage fee to whomever owns BFTV. Pretty sure moving to this "free" channel is going to cost *D more in carriage fees...

#58 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:46 PM

Right now there is a monthly charge for BFTV a la carte. Starting mid-January they are making it available for free to all customers. But I am sure they will have to pay a monthly carriage fee to whomever owns BFTV. Pretty sure moving to this "free" channel is going to cost *D more in carriage fees...

I wouldn't bet on that, it's possible they redid the entire contract so the payment comes out the same, but the channel will still win by being able to get more from advertising dollars by having a higher customer base.

#59 OFFLINE   ladannen

ladannen

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

...but the channel will still win by being able to get more from advertising dollars by having a higher customer base.

Does this channel even show advertising?

#60 OFFLINE   twiseguy

twiseguy

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:57 PM

So now I can get Baby First TV, that`s put on HD transponder space that could have been used to carry Fox Sports Ohio/Cinci HD.

Great, Ohio sports fans lose out again.

Betting babies can really tell the difference.
Thanks Direct TV

spam firewall