Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The CALM Act takes effect.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act.

Yes it is as it sounds (pun intended :D). The FCC will now regulate the loudness of commercials on TV.

The law goes into effect today.

http://transition.fc...OC-311479A1.pdf

It's about bleepin' time! :)

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

The rules are adopted, but don't really go into effect next December. Though hopefully we'll see changes sooner.

Though I probably won't notice.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I don't understand that part. It was enacted in Sept 2010, signed into law in Dec 2010, the FCC starts enforcement in Dec. 2011 and then the broadcasts have a year after that until they have to comply. :shrug:

Are we saying this caught the broadcasters by surprise...they didn't know it was coming and it takes a year to turn the volume down? :grin:

Mike

µß
If you don't want to do sub-models at least do the new equipment...I'm just sayin'
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

Are we saying this caught the broadcasters by surprise...they didn't know it was coming and it takes a year to turn the volume down? :grin:

They lost the remote.:sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#5 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

They lost the remote.:sure:

Ba-Dum-Bump-Crash. :grin:

Seriously though, is there some technical difficulty in turning down the volume? Are commercials on their own hardware that needs...something that costs money and time to install?

I don't get why it should take a year...now that I think about it, could it have something to do with contracts with the advertisers and this gives time for them to run out?

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 14 December 2011 - 07:28 PM.

µß

#6 ONLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

We were watching something on TNT and the commercials were ridiculously loud. Don't really notice that much during network shows, but then again I seldom watch commercial as I have a DVR. But coming in and out of FF on TNT was hard. I had to start muting the AVR just before the commercial started and keeping it on mute until we had the actually program back. I want to say it was Rizzoli & Isles.

#7 OFFLINE   zxmuffkenxz

zxmuffkenxz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:32 PM

I am just glad to hear there is something being done about it. That is the most annoying thing about watching television. With a partially deaf person in our household, I could only imagine how much the neighbors hear when a commercial comes on.

#8 OFFLINE   RySmith

RySmith

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

Its about freak'n time!!!
-------------------------------------------------
52'' Mitsubishi WD-57732, 36'' Proscan, 32'' JVC
HR20-700 - HR24-500 - HR24-100
SWM-8 / DECA

#9 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:26 PM

I feel like this used to be a bigger problem in the recent past. But the past few months or sì, it hasn't been that bad. It was a lot worse on TWC.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Commercial Advertisement Loudness Mitigation Act.

Yes it is as it sounds (pun intended :D). The FCC will now regulate the loudness of commercials on TV.

The law goes into effect today.

http://transition.fc...OC-311479A1.pdf

It's about bleepin' time! :)

Mike

I haven't notice commercials getting louder in awhile. Like always, they clean up their act in order to state that the law was NEVER needed.

Drew
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR:HR34-7, Dn:HR24-1, MB:HR24-5, Bm:HR21-2, Kt:H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV '00

#11 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:15 AM

I've noticed that this seems to be less of an issue these days. Don't know if it is because the broadcasters did something or I've become an expert on commercial skipping.

#12 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,106 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:24 AM

D* used to be one of the biggest offenders but I can't really say I've noticed their commercials being too loud in quite awhile.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#13 OFFLINE   richall01

richall01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

D* used to be one of the biggest offenders but I can't really say I've noticed their commercials being too loud in quite awhile.

Have you turn on your TV today? Watch Foxbusiness network when the lower banner goes away it's a Directv commercial. Also the local stations need to take note.

#14 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:07 AM

We were watching something on TNT and the commercials were ridiculously loud. Don't really notice that much during network shows, but then again I seldom watch commercial as I have a DVR. But coming in and out of FF on TNT was hard. I had to start muting the AVR just before the commercial started and keeping it on mute until we had the actually program back. I want to say it was Rizzoli & Isles.

Me too! TNT and FX seem to be the biggest offenders.

#15 OFFLINE   Spicoli

Spicoli

This is only a test...

• DBSTalk Club
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

It's about time! Just this past weekend I had family over for dinner and we were talking about how loud the commercials were.
-Jeff

#16 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:17 AM

I don't know what you guys are watching, but I've had to replace my remote because the volume button is worn out from running the volume down EVERY time a commercial comes on. I, for one, am very happy they are finally doing something about this problem. I don't understand why it is going to take so long; all they have to do is use the same technology they use to make the commercials LOUDER, and REVERSE it. It's probably like Mike Bertelson said, it has to do with contracts.
Jim

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,037 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

My AVR takes care of it....never need to touch the remote volume

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,525 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Some of us folks have been waiting for this to be in place for years.

Glad its finally in force, and hopefully enforced.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

Ba-Dum-Bump-Crash. :grin:

Seriously though, is there some technical difficulty in turning down the volume? Are commercials on their own hardware that needs...something that costs money and time to install?

I don't get why it should take a year...now that I think about it, could it have something to do with contracts with the advertisers and this gives time for them to run out?

Mike

From the pdf:

As the CALM Act requires, the rules will become effective one year after the date of their adoption, or
December 13, 2012. This gives stations and MVPDs until this date to be in full compliance. Equally
important, it provides ample time for programmers and networks to provide their distributors with
certifications stating the commercials that accompany their programming are fully compliant with these
rules. These certifications, though not mandatory, will simplify the safe harbor process for all stations
and MVPDs. While consumer complaints about loud commercials have diminished since 2009, we expect
that these new rules will reduce loudness complaints still further.

#20 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

If you looked at the press release you will see that Directv is one of the first companies to provide this service and has been doing it for a few months.... thats why most of you havent noticed it being so bad lately.

Apparantly they monitor the db levels of the program and average it out and the commercials have to be within so many db of that so they automatically adjust for it at their end.

Another plus for Directv!
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

spam firewall