Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The CALM Act takes effect.

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

I hope this rule applies to my ROKU content, some of the commercials will blow you out of your chair.:listening

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

From what I read, broadcasters had a year [ from Dec 15, 2011] to get their act together.

Technically, We should see [ Hear] changes in a week's time, but I forsee a lot of "foot dragging".

While this is not a threat to national security, people were told [ by the gov.]the blasting commercials would be remedied in a year.

We shall see.....

#63 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

From what I read, broadcasters had a year [ from Dec 15, 2011] to get their act together.

Technically, We should see [ Hear] changes in a week's time, but I forsee a lot of "foot dragging".

While this is not a threat to national security, people were told [ by the gov.]the blasting commercials would be remedied in a year.

We shall see.....

The "foot dragging" was built into this. The law was signed in 2010, went into effect in Dec 2011 giving the broadcasters a year to comply.

IOW, they had a year to drag their feet, now the fines can begin...if someone complains. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#64 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

The "foot dragging" was built into this. The law was signed in 2010, went into effect in Dec 2011 giving the broadcasters a year to comply.

IOW, they had a year to drag their feet, now the fines can begin...if someone complains. :grin:

Mike

Ahhhh, didn't know this was 2 years in the making.

The article I read stated broadcasters would have to prove "hardship" to get an extension. [ beyond this December 15,] Hardship? Oh please.
There are a number of channels whose commercials are at the same volume as the program, History was one that I noticed while watching Hatfields and McCoys. So it's do-able.

IMO, product ads are paying more moola for louder commercials.

I didn't have to mute or turn down the volume while watching History, so I actually heard some commercials. It makes no sense to blast a commercial just to have someone tune you out. I don't get this logic.:nono:

#65 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I actually think I noticed CALM in effect today when watching truTV during the daytime. And like satcrazy said, I inadvertently found myself sort of listening to a commercial... til I jumped forward.

#66 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

The article I read stated broadcasters would have to prove "hardship" to get an extension. [ beyond this December 15,] Hardship? Oh please.

I believe the waivers are for smaller, sub-100 market stations that can't afford sophisticated sound leveling equipment. I used to work at one-WMGM-TV40, Wildwood/Atlantic City. Even though it was in the #4 market (Philadelphia), it was only viewable in the Atlantic/Cape May/Cumberland county section of NJ and a small section of NE Delaware. When I was there, Master Control was completely operator controlled. I haven't been back there in years, so I don't know if they have automated yet. I doubt that any national cable/satellite network would qualify for a waiver.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#67 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

I found it very humorous the other day. I was watching the morning news on FOX 23, Portland. They were doing a story saying that stations had to comply with this, starting that day. It was no more then 3 minutes later they went to a commercial. It was so loud, I wanted to call the station and ask them what part of their story didn't they understand.

Edited by loudo, 15 December 2012 - 08:02 PM.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#68 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Can they ban the Debbie Boone Lifestyle Lift commercials while they're at it? ;)
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#69 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

I found it very humorous the other day. I was watching the morning news on FOX 23, Portland. They were doing a story saying that stations had to comply with this, starting that day. It was no more then 3 minutes later they went to a commercial. It was so loud, I wanted to call the station and ask them what part of their story didn't they understand.

LOL. Good one!:lol:

#70 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Has anyone noticed commercials being painfully loud lately?

What I THINK is happening is what I expected to happen. It seems like they have changed the audio on commercial to mono and cranked the treble way up.

The way I understood CALM was that the "level" had to be the same as the actual show. I always felt that they could crank the treble way up so that (using very simple terms) if the tv show volume was at "5" the commercial would be turned up to "5" as well but since the treble was cranked up so high it actually was louder to the point of being painful.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#71 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,116 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Has anyone noticed commercials being painfully loud lately?

What I THINK is happening is what I expected to happen. It seems like they have changed the audio on commercial to mono and cranked the treble way up.

The way I understood CALM was that the "level" had to be the same as the actual show. I always felt that they could crank the treble way up so that (using very simple terms) if the tv show volume was at "5" the commercial would be turned up to "5" as well but since the treble was cranked up so high it actually was louder to the point of being painful.

I don't think commercials have gotten louder but the volume levels in shows are much less then before. There are a number of shows which I find myself having to turn up the volume louder to what I would consider normal (I typically have my volume level set at around 9 or 10 and lately have found the need to watch several shows at 15 or 16.)

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#72 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,530 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I don't think commercials have gotten louder but the volume levels in shows are much less then before. There are a number of shows which I find myself having to turn up the volume louder to what I would consider normal (I typically have my volume level set at around 9 or 10 and lately have found the need to watch several shows at 15 or 16.)

+1......I just got through viewing a episode of Law & Order on TNT. The volume level was fine. Terminator 2: Judgment Day is now playing. Volume level is much lower than the Law & Order episode or the commercials.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#73 OFFLINE   philtec

philtec

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPhila PA

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Government regulations of this type are almost never followed.
How many of us are on the "do not call" list and still receive tons of spam phone calls, even on our cell phones.

#74 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,453 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

I have seen very little change since it took effect. The violators are still violating.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#75 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,705 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

I just got figuratively knocked out of my chair by a commercial during The Simpsons on WTTG 5.1 in Washington, DC. The next commercial was also louder than the show though not as loud as the first commercial, but it did have an annoying sound that I think is the sound that used to come from use of a wa-wa pedal. Now that the Simpsons is back on, I am jumping back and forth between it and some other broadcast TV shows and the Simpsons seems a little softer, but it is a difficult comparison to make because of the difference in content.

Update: during the final commercial break, all four commercials were louder than the show:

1. Bob's Discount Furniture: loud and enhanced by "crazy eddie" st;le of shoiuting
2. McDonald's 2 for $3 fillet of fish commercial: enhanced by alarm
3. Cherrios: loud, but non-invasive
4. Bob's Discount Furniture: not as loud as the first one

Edited by AntAltMike, 22 January 2013 - 06:33 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

+1......I just got through viewing a episode of Law & Order on TNT. The volume level was fine. Terminator 2: Judgment Day is now playing. Volume level is much lower than the Law & Order episode or the commercials.

Yup, noticed this myself.

Also read somewhere when this subject originally surfaced that this would be tried as an "alternative" to the new law. [ lowering the volume of the actual program, causing consumer to crank it up]

Whoever originally wrote this law needs to revisit it. I can't find much on how the new law will be implemented [ if at all] so was this just a ruse?

spam firewall