Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV self install for newbie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bosoxfan

bosoxfan

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 06:25 AM

Ok, I'm curious. What equipment do I need, where do I get it, and how difficult is it to install? I'm pretty tech savvy, so I am certain I could do it. Is there a "step by step" procedure somewhere?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:59 AM

Ok, I'm curious. What equipment do I need, where do I get it, and how difficult is it to install? I'm pretty tech savvy, so I am certain I could do it. Is there a "step by step" procedure somewhere?

What do you have currently? What receivers?

How new a customer are you?
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#3 OFFLINE   kkollins

kkollins

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I did the beta test for MRV, after it was over I just kept using my powerlines which work hit or miss. I didn't realize that DTV had gone away from the home network and had started using the deca system. SO, last night one of my old HR20s died. I called for a replacement, sending me out I assume an HR24 at no cost. I mentioned that my MRV wasn't working and she said that I needed two DECA's for my HR21 and HR22 that I have on my system..then I would be up and running. So she shipped me two DECA's free of charge. I started reading...and have discovered I also need a SWM, which they didn't bother to tell me. I"m not paying $200 for an install...I'll do it myself...here are my questions. Assuming I have the HR24 and the HR21 and HR22 have DECA's connected. My Dish is the AUG9 3 LNB installed in 2008. What else do I need to make it the easiest/best install? Do I need a SWM LNB or is there a SWM"multiswitch". If I get the SWM LNB...then do I just need the SWM splitter with power inserter?

#4 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

I did the beta test for MRV, after it was over I just kept using my powerlines which work hit or miss. I didn't realize that DTV had gone away from the home network and had started using the deca system. SO, last night one of my old HR20s died. I called for a replacement, sending me out I assume an HR24 at no cost. I mentioned that my MRV wasn't working and she said that I needed two DECA's for my HR21 and HR22 that I have on my system..then I would be up and running. So she shipped me two DECA's free of charge. I started reading...and have discovered I also need a SWM, which they didn't bother to tell me. I"m not paying $200 for an install...I'll do it myself...here are my questions. Assuming I have the HR24 and the HR21 and HR22 have DECA's connected. My Dish is the AUG9 3 LNB installed in 2008. What else do I need to make it the easiest/best install? Do I need a SWM LNB or is there a SWM"multiswitch". If I get the SWM LNB...then do I just need the SWM splitter with power inserter?

Whole Home install is $99 from memory [edit: corrected by VOS - it is $199 and no deals]. You may get discounts, but it is also a new commitment I think.

You can get a swm8 or swm 16 which uses 1 cable to your receivers so you can drop the second to your hr2xs

You would also want a Deca broadband connector which connects your deca mrv cloud to the internet for VOD etc. then you can drop everything.

HR20,21,22 and 23 and H21, H22 and H23 need the white deca boxes they are sending, HR24 and 34, and H24 and H25 have deca built in.

By the time you get it all going, you may find it cheaper to try for the Whole Home Upgrade. See if they can cut you a deal.

Edited by F1 Fan, 16 December 2011 - 10:17 AM.
Corrected for VOS' post.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Whole Home install is $99 from memory. You may get discounts, but it is also a new commitment I think.

You can get a swm8 or swm 16 which uses 1 cable to your receivers so you can drop the second to your hr2xs

You would also want a Deca broadband connector which connects your deca mrv cloud to the internet for VOD etc. then you can drop everything.

HR20,21,22 and 23 and H21, H22 and H23 need the white deca boxes they are sending, HR24 and 34, and H24 and H25 have deca built in.

By the time you get it all going, you may find it cheaper to try for the Whole Home Upgrade. See if they can cut you a deal.

It's $199 with "no deal".
If no receivers are swapped/upgraded, there isn't a programing commitment either.
I also wouldn't "assume" to be getting a HR24 as a replacement. You might, but you might not too.
As for what's needed, this thread has lots of images of setups: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=177308
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   willyslc

willyslc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hi,

I think I'll chime in as yet another newbie.

Was going to have DTV do my install, but they essentially botched the order and I'm on hold until the 4th. Considering cancelling the order all together and going it alone. They wanted $250 for the install!!! And that for a loyal customer for 11 years? Really???

DirecTV Upgrade Plan.

Current Equipment:
• 2 – HR20-700 HD-DVR
• 1 – HR21-700 HC-DVR
• 1 – H10 HD RCVR
• 1 – TiVO SD DVR
• 1 – RCA SD RCVR
• Slimline 5 Antenna (a year old or so)
• Non-SWM Multiswitch

Proposed Receiver Equipment
• 2 HR20-700 HD-DVR
• 1 HR21-700 HD-DVR
• 3 H21,22,23,24 HD RCVR

SWiM Parts Needed:
• SWiM16 Multi-Switch w/ Power Inserter and 2 – 8 Way Splitter ($75 + $15 shipping, 90 eBay)
• Splitter for each HR20 (2) ($14ea – eBay)
• DECA Converters (6, Bedroom, Family Room, Master Bedroom, Exercise room, Basement and 1 for router) $20.00/ea

My antenna is a slimline 5. Are there different flavors of Slimline 5? How can I know if I need to make any antenna/LNB changes?

I've looked at the "images" postings and I think I understand it all very well. The only thing I haven't seen really is the connection of a non-dvr HD Receiver, like the H21,22,23 etc. Isn't it the same as the HR's? Are there any HD Receivers (non-dvr) that have DECA built in?

Thanks

Edited by willyslc, 02 January 2012 - 01:43 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:54 AM

Hi,

I think I'll chime in as yet another newbie.

Was going to have DTV do my install, but they essentially botched the order and I'm on hold until the 4th. Considering cancelling the order all together and going it alone. They wanted $250 for the install!!! And that for a loyal customer for 11 years? Really???

DirecTV Upgrade Plan.

Current Equipment:
• 2 – HR20-700 HD-DVR
• 1 – HR21-700 HC-DVR
• 1 – H10 HD RCVR
• 1 – TiVO SD DVR
• 1 – RCA SD RCVR
• Slimline 5 Antenna (a year old or so)
• Non-SWM Multiswitch

• 2 HR20-700 HD-DVR
• 1 HR21-700 HD-DVR
• 3 H21,22,23,24 HD RCVR

SWiM Parts Needed:
• SWiM16 Multi-Switch w/ Power Inserter and 2 – 8 Way Splitter ($75 + $15 shipping, 90 eBay)
• DECA Converters (6, Bedroom, Family Room, Master Bedroom, Exercise room, Basement and 1 for router) $20.00/ea

My antenna is a slimline 5. Are there different flavors of Slimline 5? How can I know if I need to make any antenna/LNB changes?

I've looked at the "images" postings and I think I understand it all very well. The only thing I haven't seen really is the connection of a non-dvr HD Receiver, like the H21,22,23 etc. Isn't it the same as the HR's? Are there any HD Receivers (non-dvr) that have DECA built in?

Thanks

There are 2 versions of the Slimline LNB's. One is SWM one isn't. Since you have a HR10 connected you shouldn't have SWM.

You will need a SWM 16 w/PI to replace your existing multi-switch, DECA's for each receiver that's not a 24/25 series plus the receivers you would need.

It's going to cost you more to do it yourself than DIRECTV's deal.

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

• 2 HR20-700 HD-DVR
• 1 HR21-700 HD-DVR
• 3 H21,22,23,24 HD RCVR

SWiM Parts Needed:

Why two 8-way splitters? You will have six boxes; to avoid additional signal loss, get a 2-way and a 4-way. Or for future growth, two 4-ways. And unless you are running a separate wire to your router, you need a 2-way splitter to hook that up.

As shades said, you are going to spend more doing it yourself. Time to play CSR Roulette.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:09 AM

willyslc, $250 to upgrade your entire system to SwiM while replacing 3 receivers to boot is not bad. I don't understand this "I've been a customer since blah, blah, blah crap. It should be much cheaper or free" It's not cheap what you're asking them for and if you have them do it then its covered by them, you put it in, you're on your own.

#10 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

You are comparing apples to oranges again.

You say they want $250 for the MRV PLUS 3 new HD receivers, (normally $99 a piece) but are comparing it to buying it off ebay etc. for not much less, but no receivers. And doing all the hard work yourself, and not being covered if anything every goes wrong.

To me, $250 for 3 H2x receivers, WholeHomeDVR, SWM16 upgrade etc. plus support in the future is a bargain!

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:12 AM

Not needed for HR20-700

"Having someone who knows what they're doing".... priceless
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   willyslc

willyslc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

willyslc, $250 to upgrade your entire system to SwiM while replacing 3 receivers to boot is not bad. I don't understand this "I've been a customer since blah, blah, blah crap. It should be much cheaper or free" It's not cheap what you're asking them for and if you have them do it then its covered by them, you put it in, you're on your own.

Fair statement. The thing that was frustrating is that DTV totally botched the actual request. They somehow did not understand that what I wanted was to upgrade my non-HD equipment and get the MRV going. Somehow that turned into a professional install of the DirecTV Cinema which seems to already be available on my DVR's with an internet connection. Anyway, I'm going to make another call and see where we go from here.

#13 OFFLINE   willyslc

willyslc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

You are comparing apples to oranges again.

You say they want $250 for the MRV PLUS 3 new HD receivers, (normally $99 a piece) but are comparing it to buying it off ebay etc. for not much less, but no receivers. And doing all the hard work yourself, and not being covered if anything every goes wrong.

To me, $250 for 3 H2x receivers, WholeHomeDVR, SWM16 upgrade etc. plus support in the future is a bargain!

Yeah, you guys are all probably right. Let's see how my phone call goes that I'm going to make right now goes.

#14 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

Not needed for HR20-700

"Having someone who knows what they're doing".... priceless

Well, that's why we come here, isn't it? ;) I still haven't figured out what the $199 for MRV includes. Seems high to me.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,983 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Well, that's why we come here, isn't it? ;) I still haven't figured out what the $199 for MRV includes. Seems high to me.

The "whole Home" DVR service is $3/month.
The $199 is their "one price fits all" for upgrading customers to:
SWiM, dish/LNB, swapping any receivers not compatible with SWiM,
Installing DECA devices on all receivers that don't have them internally, adding filters where needed, and another DECA to bridge to your home network for internet access.
For some customers this becomes "the deal of the century", while for some others "not so much".
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

The "whole Home" DVR service is $3/month.
The $199 is their "one price fits all" for upgrading customers to:
SWiM, dish/LNB, swapping any receivers not compatible with SWiM,
Installing DECA devices on all receivers that don't have them internally, adding filters where needed, and another DECA to bridge to your home network for internet access.
For some customers this becomes "the deal of the century", while for some others "not so much".

Thank you! :) It looks like I would fall in the latter category. :(

#17 OFFLINE   willyslc

willyslc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:06 PM

So, off the phone with DTV. The $250.00 I guess would have been great. Now the price went UP to $450.00!!! Not surprising, given that I had not included the cost of additional receivers above. However, now I'm wondering about the cost/benefit of doing some stuff myself.

Thoughts? More CSR Roulette? They would only give me a deal on one HD upgrade. I need two more. Apparently my H10 is kind of a lost child. Why should I have to do any upgrade on the H10? It is already an HD receiver, but just not compatible with the MRV. Shouldn't that one be a freebie since it is a leased unit?

Comments?

#18 OFFLINE   TAK3210

TAK3210

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Ouch! That's not so much a 'bargain' anymore.

#19 OFFLINE   bradpr

bradpr

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

Have you tried getting d* to turn on Ethernet-only (unsupported) MRV? It might be an option...if they'll let you have it.

#20 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,383 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

SWiM, dish/LNB, swapping any receivers not compatible with SWiM

note...they will upgrade to a SWiM capable unit, but it won't necessarily be MRV compatible. E.g my R15 was upgraded to an R16. The R16 worked with my new SWiM system, but was not part of my new MRV. I ended up upgrading that unit to an HR box.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...