Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

MRV self install for newbie

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:19 PM

note...they will upgrade to a SWiM capable unit, but it won't necessarily be MRV compatible. E.g my R15 was upgraded to an R16. The R16 worked with my new SWiM system, but was not part of my new MRV. I ended up upgrading that unit to an HR box.

"and now you see", why I worded my statement as I did.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

So, off the phone with DTV. The $250.00 I guess would have been great. Now the price went UP to $450.00!!! Not surprising, given that I had not included the cost of additional receivers above. However, now I'm wondering about the cost/benefit of doing some stuff myself.

Thoughts? More CSR Roulette? They would only give me a deal on one HD upgrade. I need two more. Apparently my H10 is kind of a lost child. Why should I have to do any upgrade on the H10? It is already an HD receiver, but just not compatible with the MRV. Shouldn't that one be a freebie since it is a leased unit?

Comments?

The typical MRV upgrade is $199. They sometimes also charge $50 for the tech visit. As mentioned already, the MRV upgrade is to upgrade all your receivers to SWM compatible and also your dish if it is not HD or SWM compatible.

With 2 DVRs and 3 receivers (7 tuners), that will mean that you are upgraded to a SWM-LNB, which allows only SWM compatible receivers. In your case, your HR2x receivers are fine. However, your HD receiver and 2 SD receivers are not SWM compatible. The upgrade cost covers the cost to swap out the HD receiver with a H2x receiver. That receiver needs to be swapped out as the one you have is not SWM compatible. The SD receivers will only be swapped out for D12 receivers, which are SD SWM compatible receivers. Since you want to upgrade them to HD, you are then being charged $99 per receiver for the upgrade.

It's possible that if you play CSR roulette, you might be able to get a better deal. Your other option is to do the MRV upgrade without the SD receiver upgrades. It's possible that down the road, you might be able to get HD receiver upgrades for free. Just be advised that anytime you upgrade those receivers to HD that you will end up with a new 2 year commitment.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#23 OFFLINE   willyslc

willyslc

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:58 PM

The typical MRV upgrade is $199. They sometimes also charge $50 for the tech visit. As mentioned already, the MRV upgrade is to upgrade all your receivers to SWM compatible and also your dish if it is not HD or SWM compatible.

With 2 DVRs and 3 receivers (7 tuners), that will mean that you are upgraded to a SWM-LNB, which allows only SWM compatible receivers. In your case, your HR2x receivers are fine. However, your HD receiver and 2 SD receivers are not SWM compatible. The upgrade cost covers the cost to swap out the HD receiver with a H2x receiver. That receiver needs to be swapped out as the one you have is not SWM compatible. The SD receivers will only be swapped out for D12 receivers, which are SD SWM compatible receivers. Since you want to upgrade them to HD, you are then being charged $99 per receiver for the upgrade.

- Merg

That's very good information. So continuing the DTV strategy, let's see:

To upgrade to SWiM, their going to have to upgrade my H10 anyway, that should be part of the 199 deal. They appear to be willing to do one HD upgrade of my SD's for 49. So if I were willing to live with one SD receiver, shouldn't I be back to the $249 price tag?

The last CSR was not especially pleasant and actually kind of cranky. Bad day? Seems like if I could get a good knowledgeable one, I could plead my case above and get to SWiM, if not MRV.

Think I'll give it one more CSR spin tomorrow and see where that goes.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

You cannot just place an order for SWM you would need to place an order for WHDVR.

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

Thoughts? More CSR Roulette? They would only give me a deal on one HD upgrade. I need two more. Apparently my H10 is kind of a lost child. Why should I have to do any upgrade on the H10? It is already an HD receiver, but just not compatible with the MRV. Shouldn't that one be a freebie since it is a leased unit?

Comments?

The H10 hasnt been able to receive any HD from the sat in over 2 years....its strictly an OTA HD device now....in fact there was a great swap out program that is LONG since over that you should have taken advantage of when they made the switch to MPEG4

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

That's very good information. So continuing the DTV strategy, let's see:

To upgrade to SWiM, their going to have to upgrade my H10 anyway, that should be part of the 199 deal. They appear to be willing to do one HD upgrade of my SD's for 49. So if I were willing to live with one SD receiver, shouldn't I be back to the $249 price tag?

The last CSR was not especially pleasant and actually kind of cranky. Bad day? Seems like if I could get a good knowledgeable one, I could plead my case above and get to SWiM, if not MRV.

Think I'll give it one more CSR spin tomorrow and see where that goes.

I don't think they are charging you $50 to upgrade the one SD receiver to HD. My guess is that they are charging you the $50 for the tech visit or for the swap out of the H10 as it is so old now. You are then being charged $100 for each of the SD receivers to be upgraded to HD, hence the $450 total cost.

And as mentioned, upgrading to SWM cannot be ordered stand-alone. You either need to upgrade to Whole Home to be converted to SWM or in your case add a DVR to give you 9 tuners, which will force a SWM16 install.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...