Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   classicrokr

classicrokr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Hi -- been reading thread after thread but not finding anything exactly that will really help me yet. I currently have Tivo Service connected to Time Warner Cable - Los Angeles area. TW is unacceptable in my opinion. From copy protection of all programming outside of broadcast channels, to the tuning adapters that reset and cause problems to quality and even number of outages. I used to have Tivo with Fios and loved that. Now I am going to switch to DirectTV and I know the quality of the service is good. But I am really torn and don't know how to decide about going with the new Tivo service on DirectTV versus the HR34 Home Media Center which looks awfully impressive. I have also read about DirectTV's new HD UI. I love Tivo HD UI. I also like the ability to stream Netflix but that is not a deal breaker. I love Tivo Wish List and ability to auto correct recordings if the program time switches or is on at another time.

How does Direct TV compare UI compare? With the new DirectTV-Tivo - can you transfer between rooms like you can with my regualr TIVO set up --and if so does Direct TV copy protect everything thereby rendering that capability useless?

How are people enjoying the HR34 -- it seems spec wise awesome and I love the high recording capacity and 5 tuners!

Has anyone else been in my situation or made a similar decision and if so what swayed you one way or the other.

I have 2 TVs - bedroom and living room.

Thank you! I look forward to hearing people's thoughts and direction so I can decide.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

As both of these boxes have only just been released, user experience is limited, but I can tell you that the D* TiVo is severely limited compared to a regular TiVo.

Comparing the two is impossible as the HR34 is intended as a Home Media Server and the D*TiVo is a standalone box. There is no MRV with the latter and the former is designed for it!

The TiVo box does not have the HD GUI that the Premiere and others have and there is no option to use a "real" TiVo with D*.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:55 AM

:welcome_s!

I have both... I think I'm probably the only one on the forum who does.

The HR34 will let you record 5 things at once; the TiVo only two.
The HR34 will let you share programming with other rooms; the TiVo will not.
The HR34 lets you set up 100 Series Links (same as a Season Pass); with the TiVo it's unlimited.
The HR34 has two 90-minute buffers but only when you ask; the TiVo has two 30-minute buffers but they are always on.
The HR34 does not have Wish List or Suggestions; the TiVo does.
The HR34 has a 1TB Hard drive; TiVo has 500GB.
The HR34 is $100 more to lease; the TiVo costs $5 more a month.

Neither will stream Netflix. Both will automatically reschedule recordings if times move.
Right now neither has an HDUI. The HR34 will get the HDUI but the TiVo will probably stay with the same UI as older, circa-2003 TiVos forever.

Keep asking questions and I'll keep answering!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,379 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Unless you absolutely must have a Tivo user interface, I think you'll find the HR34 much more capable. I certainly love mine.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

Though to clarify, DirecTV programming is copy protected. You'd be able to view it from a DVR in another room, but it streams it. You can't copy it to another hard drive. There is a PC app that allows streaming from within your home network. They also have a product called Nomad that lets you tranfer programming for offline viewing while travelling and such. That is extra hardware that costs $100, but no monthly fees.

So overall, they give you a lot of options, but it is still copy protected.

If you like the Tivo Premiere product, I think you'd be disappointed in the new DirecTV Tivo.

#6 OFFLINE   classicrokr

classicrokr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Thanks - this is helpful....
To Stuart Sweet - you say "The HR34 will let you share programming with other rooms; the TiVo will not." I want to be sure I am talking apples to apples.

I understand that TIVO does not have Multi Room Viewing. But on my standalone Tivo units I am able to transfer between them (IF the show is not copy protected) via my wireless home network. It is quick and easy and so is, for my purposes, a completely acceptable atlernative to true multi room viewing. Is that transfer ability not present if I were to get two HR22's?

Thanks again!

#7 OFFLINE   Guindalf

Guindalf

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

To Stuart Sweet - you say "The HR34 will let you share programming with other rooms; the TiVo will not." I want to be sure I am talking apples to apples.

I understand that TIVO does not have Multi Room Viewing. But on my standalone Tivo units I am able to transfer between them (IF the show is not copy protected) via my wireless home network. It is quick and easy and so is, for my purposes, a completely acceptable atlernative to true multi room viewing. Is that transfer ability not present if I were to get two HR22's?

Thanks again!

Assuming you meant THR22s, the answer is no. Viewing is on that machine only.
There is no dark side of the moon really - as a matter of fact, it's all dark

#8 OFFLINE   classicrokr

classicrokr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:15 PM

Assuming you meant THR22s, the answer is no. Viewing is on that machine only.

That is a big one for me.... If I can't stream between the two machines then that is probably the deciding factor.

I noted the post from DPeters that any streaming requires an add-on software or hardware rather than a simple menu selection -- am I understanding that correctly?
(and yes, did mean THR22)

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

That is a big one for me.... If I can't stream between the two machines then that is probably the deciding factor.

I noted the post from DPeters that any streaming requires an add-on software or hardware rather than a simple menu selection -- am I understanding that correctly?
(and yes, did mean THR22)

Let's say you have an HR34 and an additional receiver (HD STB or HD-DVR). For an additional $3 a month, you can watch whatever is recorded on the HR34 (or on an additional HD-DVR if you have it), on your other STB. The recorded programs can be accessed via your STB's playlist.

There is also a (free) PC program that allows you to "stream" your content on the HR34 (or regular HD-DVR) to your PC depending upon your networking capabilities, as well as your PC/monitor specs. No monthly fees.

There is also a device ($149?) called Nomad. It will digitally encode your recordings for off-loading to your mobile devices. No monthly fees.

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,932 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

Alan explained it better than me. Watching recordings between DirecTV receivers (HD boxes minus the old H20 and the THR) doesn't require any different equipment of much consequence. There are some hardware requirements that are covered under a Whole Home install.

But the only way to actually copy the file over is for Nomad, and that's for fairly specific purposes. You can put an external drive on a DVR, but the recordings are married to that DVR. If the DVR needs replaced, you can't access the recordings when you plug the external drive into a new box.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

Thanks again!

I understand that Standalone Tivos have this capability. The DIRECTV TiVo does not, and neither does the HR34. The programming always resides on the hard drive on which it was recorded.

The only option for multiroom viewing on the TiVo would be running a cable to a second room. The TiVo will output via HDMI and component at the same time.

#12 OFFLINE   classicrokr

classicrokr

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:34 PM

Well it is tough to say goodbye to an old friend.... but if I want to get rid of TimeWarner - and I do - then it sure looks like the new HR34 will be the best bet. I'll miss wish list -- but I will live. Sounds like the box and the new DirectTV HD UI will make up for it in other ways!

Thanks for all the input, explanations and clarifications..

#13 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:45 PM

You'll love the HR34!! I think out of all the HDDVR's I have, The HR34 is by far the best one I have. Having the ability to record 5 things at once is probably the leading feature that I like the most next would be RVU. You made the right choice!!

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Well it is tough to say goodbye to an old friend.... but if I want to get rid of TimeWarner - and I do - then it sure looks like the new HR34 will be the best bet. I'll miss wish list -- but I will live. Sounds like the box and the new DirectTV HD UI will make up for it in other ways!

Thanks for all the input, explanations and clarifications..

There is sort of a wish list with the HR34, it's an "auto record". You search for an actor, or keyword, and set an "auto record" when you find no results. If the unit finds that actor or keyword in the guide data the show will be recorded.

For instance I have an auto record setup for "Eddie Izzard". That thing records everything he's in whether it be tv show, movie or talk show.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   Bghinshaw

Bghinshaw

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

If everything is copyrighted, does that mean you can't burn programs onto a dvd? i like to do that with some programs I record but want to keep. I have one of the old tivo units now.

#16 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,085 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

You can still burn to dvd, you just cant copy the file directly to the DVD, you have to use a dvd recorder.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#17 OFFLINE   Bghinshaw

Bghinshaw

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

Thanks. I have a recorder.

#18 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

On the HR34, we always transfer programs on our old SD DirecTiVo's so that we can skip through commercials.

If the HR34 only streams, can you skip through commercials when viewing in another room?

If you have an HR34 in the living room for example, and it records shows, and you have just a plain HD receiver in the bedroom for example, can you watch a recorded show from the living room HR34 in the bedroom on the plain HD receiver? Can you schedule recordings or request to record a current program you are watching on the plain HD receiver on the HR34 receiver? Half of what my lovely wife records is something she stumbles on while channel surfing. If she is doing that in the bedroom she would want it recorded, really wouldn't matter where just so it records with a one button push and a yes to the query just like the TiVo interface.

Or would we need not only an HR34 but an HRXX too?

If only the THR22 had MRV. Would not care if it could talk to Rupert boxes or not. As long as one THR22 could talk to another THR22.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#19 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

If the HR34 only streams, can you skip through commercials when viewing in another room?

Yes, no problem.

If you have an HR34 in the living room for example, and it records shows, and you have just a plain HD receiver in the bedroom for example, can you watch a recorded show from the living room HR34 in the bedroom on the plain HD receiver?

Yes.

Can you schedule recordings or request to record a current program you are watching on the plain HD receiver on the HR34 receiver?

Yes.

(...) just so it records with a one button push and a yes to the query just like the TiVo interface.

It's even easier on an HR34. Push the record button and it records, no secondary screen.

Or would we need not only an HR34 but an HRXX too?

The only advantage to having two dvrs is that when watching live TV, a plain receiver cannot pause.

If only the THR22 had MRV. Would not care if it could talk to Rupert boxes or not. As long as one THR22 could talk to another THR22.

Unfortunately I don't expect that capability.

#20 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Stuart.

Just to clarify, I am watching a program on the HXX series non DVR in the bedroom. I know I cannot pause it. However, I want to record it to watch later. I know there is no buffer so whatever records will only be from the point at which the recording starts. Is there a button to push on the HXX that starts a recording on the HR34?
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr20 drive upgrade

spam firewall