Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

You can schedule recordings from non-DVRs almost the same way as you can with a DVR. Refer to page 4 of this PDF, the first look for Whole-Home (it was called Multi-Room Viewing at the time.)

Multi-Room Viewing First Look

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   _shelby_

_shelby_

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:29 AM

This looks awesome, I've owened every TiVo ever and it's awesome. Where can I buy one?

#23 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

You can call DIRECTV or order online at their website.

#24 OFFLINE   dirk1843

dirk1843

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

:welcome_s!

I have both... I think I'm probably the only one on the forum who does.

Keep asking questions and I'll keep answering!

Loaded question.......which setup do you prefer?

-Which (in your opinion) would a TiVo fan who wants a DVR 1st and everything else 2nd prefer?

-What about an early adopter?

-What about a total newbie to DVRs in general??

Thanks

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

I've always been honest, and I put my thoughts in the TiVo First Look.

The HR34 is my go-to device, as it supports whole-home. With 100 series links, a 1TB drive and 5 tuners, it gives me flexibility. I also like one-touch record, 90-minute buffers, and TVApps.

When I thought about getting a TiVo, my idea was, I would review it, then shelve it, and a few months later sell it. But honestly, I like it a lot! It really works nicely and if you are used to the menu system from an HR10 or SD Directivo, the learning curve is zero. I'm going to keep this one and it will probably live in my office as my preferred DVR for TV watching when I'm working. I didn't find any weird quirks with it, nothing buggy at all. The beta testers did their job. And the overlap protection is a great feature.

An early adopter would probably not have a lot of use for this device, and it's not aimed at the early adopter. Some of the folks here would thumb their nose at the SD user interface and smiling TiVo guy. They would complain that it lacks features they've come to expect from a media device in 2011.

A total newbie... all I can say is that when I was a total newbie to DVRs, I had an HDVR2 (40-hour SD Directivo). My wife picked it up quickly and liked using it. This is the same experience. Back in 2003 I signed a petition at Tivocommunity.com (which was our sister forum at the time) asking for multi-room viewing. I guess that worked out real well :lol:

Now, who's going to like this device? People who like setting up wishlists, people who like suggestions, people who want or need more than 100 season passes. More importantly, people who really like the interface in their current TiVo and want HD. There's more of them than you'd think... and this device is right down their alley.

#26 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Stuart,

Vis a vis that petition on Tivocommunity. Did you ever visit the Tivo underground, or Deal Database. I had MRV and many other very useful utilities on DirecTiVo for a long time. And the HD TiVos all have MRV. I know from participation that TiVo watched the hacking community very closely and even fed some trusted participants hints to get the units working properly. In turn they got the benefit of learning how to properly implement MRV.

After agonizing and agonizing over going HD, I am going to wait until someone figures out how to activate MRV on the Tivo unit. As it stands I really don't want Whole Home as it is implemented on the HRXX units. It isn't a transfer to another box.

I got a refurb to replace my failing SD DirecTiVo. Unlike the HRXX series, I was able to TiVoWeb into both of my DVRs and copy and paste the Season Pass lists into an Excel spread sheet (Not possible to do without Stuarts famous wood and graphite transfer machine). Transferred any programs we wanted to archive from the failing unit to the second unit (impossible to do in any way with HRXX). Pulled the drive from the failing unit, installed it in the refurb unit. Called DirecTV from a couple miles away from the setup since we had no cell service where we are camped, and a great CSR got the new unit activated and the failed unit removed from our account. Fired up the refurb, waited til this morning for the guide to be updated a bit, and set up all our Season Passes.

If a HRXX fails you lose everything. Not my cup of tea.

Hopefully I am good for a sufficient period of time for the TiVo hackers to figure out MRV on the THR22. I really miss my Series 3 HD TiVos. But there are prices for life on the road and cable feed is one that does not travel with you.

On the other hand, my lovely wife said she would be willing to try to learn a new interface if we had to replace the aging SD DirecTiVo units. She said she learned how to use the Dish stuff at our son's. But she admitted she could not set up a recording on the Dish unit if someone held a gun to her head and threatened to shoot her if she did not record a show. Same at our daughters home with a cable DVR. Could surf programs and watch recordings others made, but could not figure out how to record. Fortunately she is quite happy with SD for now and we are back uip and running on TiVo interface. I am the one aching for HD. I guess I waited three years for the TiVo interface again so a little longer will be fine.

At least there are choices.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

#27 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:52 PM

Stuart,

Vis a vis that petition on Tivocommunity. Did you ever visit the Tivo underground, or Deal Database. I had MRV and many other very useful utilities on DirecTiVo for a long time. And the HD TiVos all have MRV. I know from participation that TiVo watched the hacking community very closely and even fed some trusted participants hints to get the units working properly. In turn they got the benefit of learning how to properly implement MRV.

After agonizing and agonizing over going HD, I am going to wait until someone figures out how to activate MRV on the Tivo unit. As it stands I really don't want Whole Home as it is implemented on the HRXX units. It isn't a transfer to another box.

I got a refurb to replace my failing SD DirecTiVo. Unlike the HRXX series, I was able to TiVoWeb into both of my DVRs and copy and paste the Season Pass lists into an Excel spread sheet (Not possible to do without Stuarts famous wood and graphite transfer machine). Transferred any programs we wanted to archive from the failing unit to the second unit (impossible to do in any way with HRXX). Pulled the drive from the failing unit, installed it in the refurb unit. Called DirecTV from a couple miles away from the setup since we had no cell service where we are camped, and a great CSR got the new unit activated and the failed unit removed from our account. Fired up the refurb, waited til this morning for the guide to be updated a bit, and set up all our Season Passes.

Hopefully I am good for a sufficient period of time for the TiVo hackers to figure out MRV on the THR22. I really miss my Series 3 HD TiVos. But there are prices for life on the road and cable feed is one that does not travel with you.

On the other hand, my lovely wife said she would be willing to try to learn a new interface if we had to replace the aging SD DirecTiVo units. She said she learned how to use the Dish stuff at our son's. But she admitted she could not set up a recording on the Dish unit if someone held a gun to her head and threatened to shoot her if she did not record a show. Same at our daughters home with a cable DVR. Could surf programs and watch recordings others made, but could not figure out how to record. Fortunately she is quite happy with SD for now and we are back uip and running on TiVo interface. I am the one aching for HD. I guess I waited three years for the TiVo interface again so a little longer will be fine.

I hate to break it to you but this unit will not be hackable like the TiVo's of old. The old TiVo's had the entire software on the HD and required a phone line to get updated. This meant that users could manipulate the upgrade cycles. If a TiVo ever got flagged that the upgrade was done you could never get it back. The new TiVo's have the software built on the chip and can be forced to upgrade through the satellite.

DIRECTV and TiVo will not allow these units to be hacked. Even if a hack did come out it would be addressed quickly and be mandatory that would not be able to be user stopped. Please note that I'm saying it's impossible to hack this machine but I am saying that DIRECTV can make it impossible to use it with hacked software this time.

#28 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 07:06 PM

Stuart,

Well, all you have to do on a DirecTV dvr is hit the record button on a show in the guide or while watching something live you want to record to get it to record. Press record twice, and it will record the series. Even easier than a TiVo.

#29 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

Sure wish there was some way to trial the HRXX boxes with a return if not satisfied policy. A nice 90 day trial period would do the trick. One month in I will still be "helping" my lovely wife with this that or the other thing to get what she wants, when she wants it, and where she wants it. The only remote that has ever been a no question from her deal is the TiVo peanut. Anything else takes constant input from me. And the eternal question, "Well why does it work like that?" followed by, "Well it should work right" Right being whatever she thinks as the method that it should follow.

Tried a Harmony with her and gave up. About 80 percent of the time she would have inputs and other things out of sync. I would have to go into the bedroom and cycle through devices to change the settings. Then I would get the "Why don't you show me what you did to make it work?" About two devices in I had visions of divorce attorneys in my future.

Fortunately a TiVo glow remote has a couple of buttons that can "learn" So the peanut can turn on the TV with the TV Power button. Pretty self explanatory, and I have programmed a button to turn on the Receiver. Of course the TiVo is always on so it doesn't need to have anything done to watch TV. Every other TiVo function she taught herself when I was away on a business trip. I came home to find that there was not one hour available to me to record anything. She had more than a hundred season passes running. However, with three additional DirecTiVo units I did record some things in alternate locations. On Series 1 DirecTiVoss I had a dedicated box in my office to record my programs and would move the box to whatever room I wanted to watch TV. When the Series 2 came out and a simple hack could enable MRV all was good in the house. When DirecTV crippled the Series 2 with 6.2.a installed by messing with program guides, it was the same time that the Series 3 standalone arrived. Got five of those with lLifetime and never looked back until we retired, sold our home and are traveling full time in an RV. Had to go back to Satellite and dug out the old DirecTiVos. Waited and waited and waited and waited for the TiVo interface on the HD DirecTV and lo and behold it is as useless as a Series 1 DirecTiVo. No MRV. So I agonized over a Rupert box and decided it is not worth the hassle.

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

Rupert Murdock has nothing to do with these. NDS no longer makes the software and he has no decision making power with DIRECTV. I'm not sure what your issue with him is but regardless of that fact the HR series in most aspects is easier than TiVo to use and in some aspects it's not. It's all just what you're used to. Programming a remote to a TV is child's play and shouldn't even be something to worry about.

What will change is he fact that you can't have more than 50 shows setup at a time to record, you don't have wishlists but can do something similar but limited, suggestions, or the TiVo guide where you can see a channels shows in a list view by default (you can do this but it's manual for each channel).

Call and see what options you have in terms of equipment upgrades. Overall I would say that a non TiVo is actually easier to use than a TiVo however you're used to the interface so that's a non factor.

#31 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

Sure wish there was some way to trial the HRXX boxes with a return if not satisfied policy. A nice 90 day trial period would do the trick. One month in I will still be "helping" my lovely wife with this that or the other thing to get what she wants, when she wants it, and where she wants it. The only remote that has ever been a no question from her deal is the TiVo peanut. Anything else takes constant input from me. And the eternal question, "Well why does it work like that?" followed by, "Well it should work right" Right being whatever she thinks as the method that it should follow.

Tried a Harmony with her and gave up. About 80 percent of the time she would have inputs and other things out of sync. I would have to go into the bedroom and cycle through devices to change the settings. Then I would get the "Why don't you show me what you did to make it work?" About two devices in I had visions of divorce attorneys in my future.

Fortunately a TiVo glow remote has a couple of buttons that can "learn" So the peanut can turn on the TV with the TV Power button. Pretty self explanatory, and I have programmed a button to turn on the Receiver. Of course the TiVo is always on so it doesn't need to have anything done to watch TV. Every other TiVo function she taught herself when I was away on a business trip. I came home to find that there was not one hour available to me to record anything. She had more than a hundred season passes running. However, with three additional DirecTiVo units I did record some things in alternate locations. On Series 1 DirecTiVoss I had a dedicated box in my office to record my programs and would move the box to whatever room I wanted to watch TV. When the Series 2 came out and a simple hack could enable MRV all was good in the house. When DirecTV crippled the Series 2 with 6.2.a installed by messing with program guides, it was the same time that the Series 3 standalone arrived. Got five of those with lLifetime and never looked back until we retired, sold our home and are traveling full time in an RV. Had to go back to Satellite and dug out the old DirecTiVos. Waited and waited and waited and waited for the TiVo interface on the HD DirecTV and lo and behold it is as useless as a Series 1 DirecTiVo. No MRV. So I agonized over a Rupert box and decided it is not worth the hassle.

so does the directv remotes, wife hs programmed all of them to turn off both the dvr and the tv with a single button, she found it easy to do, me I prefer my Harmony 1100 to handle all the functions.

#32 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Maybe I will call DirecTV and see if there is a free trial period.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:39 AM

Couple of quick comments....

I know that previous directivo devices were hackable to get MRV on them. The new ones are more secure.

The thr22 does not use any of the TiVo remote codes so in order to use the TiVo glo remote you would need to remap every single button.

#34 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

I know the THR200 is not for us. And I also know that the Present Peanuts will not control it either. That ship has sailed without a rudder as far as we are concerned. No MRV is a true killer.

One more dumb question. Do any of the HRXX units need to be connected to either a phone line or the internet to work at all? I know that some on demand stuff needs a connection but we don't do any on demand stuff. We just want a no surprises DVR with the capability to view recorded programs in both rooms with a display.

We would have to give up a lot of TiVo unique functionality and maybe gain some HRXX unique functions. I am really leary of a unit that will not transfer programs to another unit. We have gotten so used to that with the DirecTiVos and the Series 3 TiVos.

#35 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,744 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:01 PM

I know the THR200 is not for us. And I also know that the Present Peanuts will not control it either. That ship has sailed without a rudder as far as we are concerned. No MRV is a true killer.

One more dumb question. Do any of the HRXX units need to be connected to either a phone line or the internet to work at all? I know that some on demand stuff needs a connection but we don't do any on demand stuff. We just want a no surprises DVR with the capability to view recorded programs in both rooms with a display.

We would have to give up a lot of TiVo unique functionality and maybe gain some HRXX unique functions. I am really leary of a unit that will not transfer programs to another unit. We have gotten so used to that with the DirecTiVos and the Series 3 TiVos.

If you set up mrv, you will get Internet connected as well. They need either phone or Ethernet to set up, it does some verification for the installer that way. However, the only need long term for phone is if you want the caller I'd function to work, and for Ethernet, you also get some other features that you may or may not use, like tv aps, media share, and some others. Bt that comes with the install, and doesn't hinder your network in any way, so it's not really an issue.

As for ease of use, I don't know how anything could be easier than a drv remote. There are buttons on the remote that take you directly to the guide or the playlist, and hitting the rec button while on the guide to record something is easier and faster than a TiVo. If fact, your wife will say, that's all I have to do? Well that was easy! The learning curve may take a little while if she wants to do more things, like mess with the series manager, but the basics, she will figure those out very quickly.

#36 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Maybe I will call DirecTV and see if there is a free trial period.

There is no such thing as a free trial period. If you don't like it you can send it back but you'll still be under an agreement.

You could buy an owned HD DVR and see how it goes, you would need an access card for $20 and you will want to search around here for posts on how to buy an owned receiver, to try it out. That way if you don't like it at all after a few months you could sell it again to recoup some of the money and you're not in an agreement. If you end up liking it you could then call DIRECTV and see if there's an upgrade available for you for the whole home offer and convert everything over.

#37 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

If you set up mrv, you will get Internet connected as well. They need either phone or Ethernet to set up, it does some verification for the installer that way......

Only if you desire an internet connection and have a router. The only thing a phone or internet connection does for an installer is increase his responder percentage(IPPV) which for some is tied into pay increases and decreases.

#38 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:50 PM

I am really leary of a unit that will not transfer programs to another unit. We have gotten so used to that with the DirecTiVos and the Series 3 TiVos.

With Whole Home DVR Service (MRV) you do Not need to transfer Recordings between devices as you can watch any recording on any other DVR on the DVR/Receiver you are on.

It's as if it was Recorded on the Host DVR/Receiver you are watching, so why do you need to transfer a Recording which would just take up space on 2 devices?
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#39 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

It's as if it was Recorded on the Host DVR/Receiver you are watching, so why do you need to transfer a Recording which would just take up space on 2 devices?

As he mentioned earlier, there are two possible reasons. One, to move a program off an almost full DVR to one with more room. The other reason would be to move programs off a DVR that is obviously starting to fail.

I can tell you this, I've run into the latter problem a few times. Sometimes when one is failing, other times when I'm ready to swap out for new equipment. I can assure you, the WAF would have been much higher if I had that option.

#40 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

I can tell you this, I've run into the latter problem a few times. Sometimes when one is failing, other times when I'm ready to swap out for new equipment. I can assure you, the WAF would have been much higher if I had that option.

I have run into the Failing or Failed DVR Situation Many Many Times and I have Relentlessly tried to get Directv to Allow Us and to Enable Us to Enjoy an Archival Process where we could Offload Recorded Content onto a Large External USB Drive for the Purposes of Archiving certain recordings so we could Restore them in the event of a Failed Hard Drive which after replacing we could then Restore those Recordings back to the New Hard Drive.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr20 drive upgrade

spam firewall