Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Midas, that is exactly why you want MRV and not streaming.

Since we live in an RV there is never an installer. And getting internet to a DVR is almost impossible. No phone lines ever. Hardly ever any phone coverage for either ATT or Verizon and we have one of each just in case one or the other is in cell range. Where we are now we have no cell phone service, we have an internet connection that is very slow and you have to pay for each device you hook up. Kind of a pain but the rest of life on the road just makes all that not a problem at all.
Genie (nee HR34) 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1601, Sharp 40" LED
HR24 2TB Internal, Magnavox NR1501, Sansui 32" LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:36 PM

Thanks Midas, that is exactly why you want MRV and not streaming.

Since we live in an RV there is never an installer. And getting internet to a DVR is almost impossible. No phone lines ever. Hardly ever any phone coverage for either ATT or Verizon and we have one of each just in case one or the other is in cell range. Where we are now we have no cell phone service, we have an internet connection that is very slow and you have to pay for each device you hook up. Kind of a pain but the rest of life on the road just makes all that not a problem at all.

Also, you can get a rv package I believe, tha twill get you the main national networks.

I don't want transfer over streaming, but I would like both, but only for a failing hard drive or changing dvrs. With mrv, if you set up your sl's right, you shouldn't run into storage issues unless you have full dvrs everywhere. Also, you can get a esata drive to have more storage space. it's be a nice feature, but that's not a deal killer. True dvr failures are so far and few between.

#43 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:03 AM

Also, you can get a esata drive to have more storage space. it's be a nice feature, but that's not a deal killer. True dvr failures are so far and few between.

And if you OWN your DVR you can just open it up and install a Brand New 2 TB Drive and have Tons of Storage like I do.

We have instructions here at DBSTALK that show and tell how to do it if you OWN your DVR and are not leasing it.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

Lots of good information. Whether I like what that information says or not.

I see HR24s for sale for $179 on some sites. If bought that way would I "own" it? And some sites say that activating the "owned" DVR still puts you into a two year contract.

I guess three of the 24s would give us at least a modicum of season passes and good storage with 2T drives. We would just have to pare our season passes way down. About 300 now on two DirecTiVo units. I suppose I would get used to the lack of 30 second skip and my lovely wife might even like the 30 second slip. I use the skip a whole lot. We record the super bowl and I find you can watch a whole football game in 17 minutes. Every huddle is almost exactly 30 seconds. We only watch the super bowl to see the commercials. Kids games are not anything either of us would watch on purpose.

And the 90 minute buffers, if recorded when you decide you like the show for whatever reason, would be nice. Once in a while, when we turn on the TV some show or other is on that we want to record and our current TiVo units pick up the buffer along with the remainder of the program. The Dish unit in our sons home did not pick up the buffer and only recorded from the button push. Lots of times my lovely wife sees something she wants to show me later and gets it with the buffer.

I have read some info on DBSTalk about controlling the HR series with a DirecTV remote. I have seen a 64 or a 65 in the model number of the remote and some have both IR and RF modes. Do those with the RF mode have a repeater for other hidden equipment like our Pioneer receivers? Currently we leave the cabinet door open in the living room to get IR to the receiver and have an X10 repeater in the bedroom to access the receiver in the closet. I would guess that if one is using RF for the HR24 that the TV and AVR control would still be IR.

At this time the 34 is really not a good buy, and a single point failure wipes out everything. I like distributed processing so at least one failure doesn't knock you out completely. An example is our cell phone service. Since we camp full time we many times have bad or no cell phone service. We found as we moved west that ATT is better in some remote parts of the east of the country and Verizon is better in remote parts of the west of the country. So I switched my service to Verizon and kept my lovely wife on ATT. Now we sometimes have at least one phone working with a trip of less than 20 miles. In our present spot we only have to go a couple hundred yards to get service. Me by the kids activity center and my lovely wife on the other end of the campground. But I digress.

I apologize for all the detail questions, but it is a big investment and a big change to go from something one has used for eleven years to another platform altogether. I don't mind spending the money, I put about $4K into Series 3 TiVos to convert from DirecTV to cable when we had our grounded home. I am very leary of getting into a couple thousand dollars and finding that the performance is a downgrade. I am an old fashioned run what ya brung sort of guy. The old saying for cars is "If it won't run, chrome it." It has to be fast and ultra reliable. No missed recordings, no recordings deleted by the machine. On that note the lack of deleted folders is another thing we will have to get used to. We will have to be sure we don't delete until both parties agree the program should be lost forever.

I have gotten so old I have to take money out of a retirement account. So maybe HD on the TVs would be in order and would not eat into our current budget.

#45 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

The HR24s will be Leased DVRs as you can't buy HR24s.

Also, try to keep your posts to a mimimum as Long Posts tend to always be Ignored.
Here's My Setup

#46 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:37 PM

So this is a lease? I will keep my questions to one at a time in multiple posts. Thanks

http://www.amazon.co...Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2

#47 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:50 PM

So this is a lease? I will keep my questions to one at a time in multiple posts. Thanks

http://www.amazon.co...Q/ref=pd_cp_e_2

Yes, that is a Leased Unit and unless they specifically state that it is Owned then it is probably a Leased Unit, especially at that price.

If they state that it is Owned then get the RID # of the DVR and then call the Directv Access Card Dept. and ask them if that DVR matching that RID # is Valid and Owned and nothing is owed on the Account such as a Balance Due.

Then you pay $20 for a New Access Card and have the Access Card Dept. register the DVR as Owned in their records.

Edited by Richierich, 26 December 2011 - 01:15 PM.

Here's My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Thanks Richierich.

I see that there are some "Owned" units for sale on eBay. And one seller does list the RID and encourages customers to call DTV with the number to determine exactly what you say.

Read all the reviews on Amazon and some who switched from the TiVo interface say the HR24 is tolerable. The older HR units are just not tolerable because of lag in executing commands.

#49 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

I have 5 HR24-500s and they work Great especially with the New Directv HDUI.

I also have 2 HR23-500s and they also work much better and faster now with the New HDUI.

If you buy an "Owned" HR24 you can then replace the Internal Hard Drive with a 2 TB Drive and then you are Good To Go.

I have 7 DVRs with 13 TBs of Storage Capacity on them with 350 Series Links.
Here's My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

double post. This campground internet service is like an HR20. So slow to respond one does not know what happens before the timeout message.

Edited by Jerry_K, 26 December 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Thanks,

It looks like a minimum of three HR24s. And we will have to reduce our appetite for what will be Series Links.

Another question. Does the HR24 have problems recording programs that are back to back on the same channel? For example Good Wife and CSI Miami. Or NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles. One reviewer on Amazon said the HR24 could not distinguish such programs.

Can the end of the program be extended like on the TiVo. Useless games broadcasts ruin all recordings that follow. I added 2 hours to CSI Miami Season Pass to get both Good Wife and CSI Miami in total.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Thanks,

It looks like a minimum of three HR24s. And we will have to reduce our appetite for what will be Series Links.

Another question. Does the HR24 have problems recording programs that are back to back on the same channel? For example Good Wife and CSI Miami. Or NCIS and NCIS Los Angeles. One reviewer on Amazon said the HR24 could not distinguish such programs. I am going to do another here as well. Can the end of the program be extended like on the TiVo. Dumb football ruins all recordings that follow. I added 2 hours to CSI Miami to get both Good Wife and CSI Miami in total.

This is where the hr really beats up on TiVo actually. Yes,you can extend a recording by up to 3 hours, and you can have it start early. It also always records if there are no conflicts an extra 30 seconds before the start of a program, And an extra 90 seconds after the program is scheduled to end, again,assuming no conflicts.

As for one show after another, say you set a show on channel 4 to record at 8 and extend it 3 hours. You can still set another show to record at 9 on channel 4 and have it extend for another 3 hours, and even though those shows overlap big time,you will get two separate recordings for the full amount of time for each show, as long as they are on the same channel.

Now the one thing lacking on a hr that TiVo has and is great, is the clipping feature, for shows that run over by a min or two on different channels that create conflicts. But with an hr34, that issue is probably few and far between.

#53 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,728 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Lots of good information. Whether I like what that information says or not.

I see HR24s for sale for $179 on some sites. If bought that way would I "own" it? And some sites say that activating the "owned" DVR still puts you into a two year contract.

I guess three of the 24s would give us at least a modicum of season passes and good storage with 2T drives. We would just have to pare our season passes way down. About 300 now on two DirecTiVo units. I suppose I would get used to the lack of 30 second skip and my lovely wife might even like the 30 second slip. I use the skip a whole lot. We record the super bowl and I find you can watch a whole football game in 17 minutes. Every huddle is almost exactly 30 seconds. We only watch the super bowl to see the commercials. Kids games are not anything either of us would watch on purpose.

And the 90 minute buffers, if recorded when you decide you like the show for whatever reason, would be nice. Once in a while, when we turn on the TV some show or other is on that we want to record and our current TiVo units pick up the buffer along with the remainder of the program. The Dish unit in our sons home did not pick up the buffer and only recorded from the button push. Lots of times my lovely wife sees something she wants to show me later and gets it with the buffer.

I have read some info on DBSTalk about controlling the HR series with a DirecTV remote. I have seen a 64 or a 65 in the model number of the remote and some have both IR and RF modes. Do those with the RF mode have a repeater for other hidden equipment like our Pioneer receivers? Currently we leave the cabinet door open in the living room to get IR to the receiver and have an X10 repeater in the bedroom to access the receiver in the closet. I would guess that if one is using RF for the HR24 that the TV and AVR control would still be IR.

At this time the 34 is really not a good buy, and a single point failure wipes out everything. I like distributed processing so at least one failure doesn't knock you out completely. An example is our cell phone service. Since we camp full time we many times have bad or no cell phone service. We found as we moved west that ATT is better in some remote parts of the east of the country and Verizon is better in remote parts of the west of the country. So I switched my service to Verizon and kept my lovely wife on ATT. Now we sometimes have at least one phone working with a trip of less than 20 miles. In our present spot we only have to go a couple hundred yards to get service. Me by the kids activity center and my lovely wife on the other end of the campground. But I digress.

I apologize for all the detail questions, but it is a big investment and a big change to go from something one has used for eleven years to another platform altogether. I don't mind spending the money, I put about $4K into Series 3 TiVos to convert from DirecTV to cable when we had our grounded home. I am very leary of getting into a couple thousand dollars and finding that the performance is a downgrade. I am an old fashioned run what ya brung sort of guy. The old saying for cars is "If it won't run, chrome it." It has to be fast and ultra reliable. No missed recordings, no recordings deleted by the machine. On that note the lack of deleted folders is another thing we will have to get used to. We will have to be sure we don't delete until both parties agree the program should be lost forever.

I have gotten so old I have to take money out of a retirement account. So maybe HD on the TVs would be in order and would not eat into our current budget.

All hr has both 30 slip and 30 skip.

Hr will record the buffer area of a program if you turn it on and hit record.

There is one universal remote that will work rf native with DirecTV, that may be a way to go, but the DirecTV remotes only work rf with DirecTV receivers.

Why not get one hr34 and two hr24? Same monthly costs as three hr24. Heck, if you don't mind up front fees, just get 3 hr34 when you can, again, same monthly cost as having three hr24. That'd get you your 300 season passes and five tuners in each unit to avoid. Almost all conflicts.

#54 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:05 PM

A 34 and a 24 could work if we can go on a Series pass diet. Would have to wait a whole lot longer until the 34 was readily available on the used and owned market. Owned 24s are sub $300 now and 2T drives are about $120 so an upgraded 24 would have a lot more room than a 34. And it would be owned instead of not owned.

#55 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

A 34 and a 24 could work if we can go on a Series pass diet. Would have to wait a whole lot longer until the 34 was readily available on the used and owned market. Owned 24s are sub $300 now and 2T drives are about $120 so an upgraded 24 would have a lot more room than a 34. And it would be owned instead of not owned.

I totally agree with your assessment.

I Own my DVRs and have Upgraded their DVRs to 2 TB Drives so I Never have to worry about storage limitations and I enjoy not having to constantly monitor what to keep and what I need to delete.

I still have to Perform a Weekly Maintenance Process to get rid of recordings that I no longer need but that is no Big Deal and I actually enjoy it as I get to see what all I have in my Playlists.
Here's My Setup

#56 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:38 PM

The only reason to own a unit is because you want to be able to disconnect it and keep it. I only recommended it prior because you wanted to try it out. If you're thinking of just swapping it all I'd stick to a lease model to enjoy the savings.

You can add external HD's to all of the HD DVR's so you don't need to own one to expand the capacity either.

If you do want to own them I would expect some good sales on owned receivers in February.

#57 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

It is Quieter if you Replace the Internal Drive on an Owned DVR with a Larger Hard Drive and there have been problems when the DVR Reboots and the eSATA Controller takes to long to signal the DVR that it is connected so it Boots up with the Internal Drive.

I could hear my External Drive but I don't hear my Internal Drive plus I don't have that Extra Hardware Device hanging off my DVR.

That is why I switched from an eSATA External Hard Drive to Replacing the Internal Hard Drive in an Owned DVR.

Also, cheaper as you don't have to buy an External Enclosure that eventually will fail before the drive fails.
Here's My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

The only reason to own a unit is because you want to be able to disconnect it and keep it. I only recommended it prior because you wanted to try it out. If you're thinking of just swapping it all I'd stick to a lease model to enjoy the savings.

You can add external HD's to all of the HD DVR's so you don't need to own one to expand the capacity either.

If you do want to own them I would expect some good sales on owned receivers in February.

Owned is the only option for me. I have never had a leased piece of viewing or listening equipment and hope I never will in the future.

And when every bit of what you own, has to go into a travel trailer and a pickup truck, another hundred cubic inches of space is a luxury not to be squandered. Have had eSata expansion with the Series 3 TiVo. I don't trust the connections enough to take it down a rough road in a trailer. It is amazing how many things come unglued and unplugged.

And yes when folks start replacing a 24 with a 34, owned ones, maybe even already expanded, could become a value buy. Thanks for that little hint.

#59 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Owned is the only option for me.

I don't trust the connections enough to take it down a rough road in a trailer. It is amazing how many things come unglued and unplugged.

And yes when folks start replacing a 24 with a 34, owned ones, maybe even already expanded, could become a value buy. Thanks for that little hint.

Yes, I am buying a 2007 Country Coach Affinity and I would not like my DVRs being connected to an External Drive and then rattling around and it comes disconnected or when it Reboots it doesn't recognize the External Drive and Reboots with the Internal Drive.

Just my thoughts on what is Best for You!!!
Here's My Setup

#60 OFFLINE   Jerry_K

Jerry_K

Godfather

• Registered
  • 433 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

In my real home theater I had four 18 inch subwoofers in an infinite baffle. The eSATA cable on the Series 3 came out one time after a nice booming movie had been played.

And love the Country Coach. There is an Affinity parked just up the road from us now. Nice looking RV.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr20 drive upgrade

spam firewall