Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   hhh222

hhh222

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

Stuart....I've seen where some people have said they can't get the 30 sec skip to work on the THR22. What's your experience?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I haven't been able to get it to work either.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#63 OFFLINE   Jeddem

Jeddem

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:08 PM

Having owned an old-school SD DirecTiVo for about 6 years, I'm now excited by the opportunity to upgrade to and HD DirecTiVo (thr22). Before pulling the trigger, however, I have a couple of questions that I think will be child's play for the experts on this thread.

The background is that when I shifted to DirecTV 6 years ago, I tried the DirecTV DVR and found the basic functioning (starting/stopping, fast forward, season pass) so erratic that I returned it and bought an SD DirecTiVo, which still works very well.

I'm considering either a thr22 or whatever the current DirecTV DVR is (hr24?). I think the HR34 would be overkill.

My questions are about the basics:

a) How instantaneous is the starting and stopping (particularly from fast forward)? This works perfectly on my old TiVo, making it easy to skip commercials or otherwise cue up a specific moment in the recording. This was atrocious on the old DirecTV DVR. I recently tried an ATT U-Verse DVR at a friend's house and it was better than the old DirecTV DVR, but still not perfect.

B) Is the slowest fast forward speed continuous and watchable? On my old TiVo, it seems continuous (not single frames with skips in between) and is very useful for watching sporting events in much less time. The ATT U-Verse DVR fast forward uses single frames and skips, which is not nearly as useful.

c) How robust is the Season Pass-type functionality? My old DirecTiVo seems pretty smart about about not missing episodes and not recording multiple copies. The old DirecTV DVR was horrible, frequently missing episodes.

My questions are:

1) With respect to issues a), B), and c) above, will the thr22 work as well as my old SD DirecTiVo? Will I see differences in how it works on these dimensions?

2) How does the current DirecTV DVR stack up on these issues? The one I tried 6 years ago was a disaster. Reviews on Amazon suggest that more recent DVRs have improved on these dimensions but still have problems. What has your experience been? If the DirecTV DVR does the basics well now, it appears to have other advantages over the HD DirecTiVo.

I feel silly having waited 6 years for HD because I wanted DirecTV and didn't trust basic functionality of the DirecTV DVR. Now that there's an HD DirecTiVo, I'm ready to go, but I want to be sure I'm making the right decision.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

#64 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:15 PM

The THR22 is better with regards to all 3 of your questions. But the HR-24 isn't terrible. It's just not as good.

a) FF on the Tivo only offers 3 speeds compared to 4 on the HR. But the highest speed on the HR is almost impossible to use unless you're just looking to move quickly. I've found the jump back just too far on the top speed to the point that I can be a full minute behind where I want it to be. The 3rd speed on the HR seems a little slower than the THR, but the jump back timing is pretty good for my reaction times. But, and this to me is big, the HR has visual information during fast forwarding. I don't know how else to describe it other than it's just choppier. Overall, win for the THR.

B) Honestly I haven't tried this lately on the HR, but it's perfect on the THR. You can turn on closed captioning and watch a whole show that way if you want.

c) The Tivo is a big time winner in this category. First, the HR has a hard limit of 50 season passes/wishlists. If you need more you'd need to jump to the HR34 which has a limit of 50. No limit that I'm aware of on the Tivo.

The HR has improved a lot with regards to missing programs. It was pretty bad in the beginning, but it's not really an issue now, at least with season passes. But I've had a few issues lately with wishlists (on the HR they are called keyword searches). I only use them for sports, and here's where the problems start.

First, I've just had occasions where nothing recording, nothing in the history, it's just a complete miss. The second problem really annoys me. The HR boxes don't care what channels you get or what channels you tell it you get. So, want to record a football game? Well it might record on your local channel, or it might try recording on the Sunday Ticket channels. Want to record a baseball, basketball or hockey game? It might record from your local channel, or it might try recording from whatever the equivalent to Sunday ticket is for those. Or it might try to call record from the regional sports network of the other team.

Now they do have a nice feature called Game Search that is supposed to recognize that the game is blacked out on the channel it's trying to record on and attempt to find another channel. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. And when it does work, it may or may not recognize the extra hour you told it to add to the recording.

c (part 2)) Multiple copies. Much of this is dependent on the guide data available. And since both units use the same guide data they will share many of the same problems. But a few years ago I setup a season pass on my HR box for Mad Money on CNBC. It's broadcast twice a day and the HR would always record both shows. I quickly killed the season pass and went to a manual recording. I just got my THR a few weeks ago and the season pass only records the first episode of the day. Honestly I don't know if the HR still records both or not, but the THR does not.

There's no doubt that the THR is lacking many features offered in the HR boxes. But for the things that both do, I can't think of anything that the HR does better.

#65 OFFLINE   Jeddem

Jeddem

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:34 PM

Wow, Midas, thanks so much for the quick and on-point response! It sounds like - in these specific areas - I won't be disappointed with the new TiVo (relative to my old TiVo) and the new TiVo still has an edge over the DirecTV DVR. Your comments are *really* helpful. Thanks!

#66 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:57 PM

Wow, Midas, thanks so much for the quick and on-point response! It sounds like - in these specific areas - I won't be disappointed with the new TiVo (relative to my old TiVo) and the new TiVo still has an edge over the DirecTV DVR. Your comments are *really* helpful. Thanks!

No problem, glad to help. The HR box is really a nice box overall, please don't get the wrong impression. Compared to 5 years ago, they've done a great job. But I'm extremely happy with the THR.

#67 OFFLINE   Jeddem

Jeddem

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

The THR22 is better with regards to all 3 of your questions. But the HR-24 isn't terrible. It's just not as good.

a) ... But, and this to me is big, the HR has visual information during fast forwarding. I don't know how else to describe it other than it's just choppier. Overall, win for the THR.

Actually, Midas, I realize that I didn't exactly understand this point. Are you saying that the HR (DirecTV DVR) is choppier than the THR (TiVo) during fast forwarding, and that this is a problem? Or are you saying something else? And what do you mean by "the HR has visual information during fast forwarding"? And is it big-good or big-bad? Thanks!

#68 OFFLINE   midas69

midas69

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Actually, Midas, I realize that I didn't exactly understand this point. Are you saying that the HR (DirecTV DVR) is choppier than the THR (TiVo) during fast forwarding, and that this is a problem? Or are you saying something else? And what do you mean by "the HR has visual information during fast forwarding"? And is it big-good or big-bad? Thanks!

Yea, I guess I missed a word in that description. The HR seems to have LESS visual information, kind of like less frames per second. So yes, it's choppier. The THR is better and easier to tell what's going on while fast forwarding.

#69 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

I am considering getting HR34. I have a few questions.

1. I have read that the HR34 works ok with the AM21 to allow watching and recording of OTA broadcasts. Since the HR34 can record up to five shows at once, is there any limitation as to how many can be OTA? I live in a small market that doesn't offer HD locals but I can receive all locals in HD OTA.

2. Does anyone have any insite into increasing the Hard Drive to 2 TB or larger?

3. I currently have an HR20-100, HR24-100 (with AM21) and an H25 all set up for whole house. I aslo have two HR10-250 unit that I use almost exclusivly for OTA HD recordings. I am getting close to retiring the HR10's.

4. Is there any problem with using the HR20-100 with the HR34. I saw something about this but my HR20-100 has the DECA Package for HR20-100 from weekknees.
See http://www.weaknees....20-deca-754.jpg

With this, it works fine with the whole house set up.

#70 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,862 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

1. I have read that the HR34 works ok with the AM21 to allow watching and recording of OTA broadcasts. Since the HR34 can record up to five shows at once, is there any limitation as to how many can be OTA? I live in a small market that doesn't offer HD locals but I can receive all locals in HD OTA.

No limit that I know of.

2. Does anyone have any insite into increasing the Hard Drive to 2 TB or larger?

It can't be done unfortunately. It's an OS restriction.

4. Is there any problem with using the HR20-100 with the HR34. I saw something about this but my HR20-100 has the DECA Package for HR20-100 from weekknees.

If you can share programming from your other DVRs then you should have no problem sharing programming from the HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#71 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:18 PM

I am considering getting HR34. I have a few questions.

3. I currently have an HR20-100, HR24-100 (with AM21) and an H25 all set up for whole house. I aslo have two HR10-250 unit that I use almost exclusivly for OTA HD recordings. I am getting close to retiring the HR10's.

With this, it works fine with the whole house set up.

1. With an an21 the hr34 can still only record up to two ota channels at one time, and still no more than five total feeds from between the two sources.

2 esata works fine with the hr34 just as it does with the other hrs. 2tb is the limit at this time, and probably forever.

3. How many tvs in your house do you have, and how many channels do you ever really record at once?

4 Any hr will work with any hr for mrv, per hr24 units must have a deca is all.

Do you know how your system is wired currently? Swim8, etc? Do you have and use mrv today?

#72 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

No limit that I know of.

It can't be done unfortunately. It's an OS restriction.

If you can share programming from your other DVRs then you should have no problem sharing programming from the HR34.

What? I thought the am21 was limited to recording two ota at once, no matter what it's hooked up to. Did that change? Can you record five ota at once now?

And i think he meant can you use an esata at all, and then what's the largest. Maybe he can clarify for us.

#73 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Stuart, are you saying that you can't Replace the 1 TB Internal Drive with a 2 TB Drive if you Own the HR34?

I thought you could Replace your Internal Drive with a 2 TB Drive is you Own it or hook up an eSATA External Enclosure with a 2 TB Drive and be done with it!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#74 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the comments. A few of the questions answered:

"Do you know how your system is wired currently? Swim8, etc? Do you have and use mrv today?"

I have a Swim16 switch connected which is connected through to Zinwell 6x8 Multiswitch to allow enough leads to the older DVR's. I do have mrv working with the three newer boxes.

I was asking about esata drive upgrade and also interested in the posibility of installing a larger drive internally.

Also, it makes some sense to me that the AM21 would only allow 2 OTA's at a time because it was introduced to allow OTA after DirecTV stopped including that in their boxes which prior to the H34 could only record two at a time.

Edited by toms111la, 23 January 2012 - 03:32 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 23 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

What? I thought the am21 was limited to recording two ota at once, no matter what it's hooked up to. Did that change? Can you record five ota at once now?

And i think he meant can you use an esata at all, and then what's the largest. Maybe he can clarify for us.

????
The AM21 only has two off-air tuners inside. How can it record more channels than two?
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#76 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:42 PM

The HR34 comes with a 1TB drive, you can upgrade to a 2TB, just like any of the other HR's. But the linux kernel being used only supports addressing up to the 2TB storage size.

#77 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,041 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 10:25 PM

????
The AM21 only has two off-air tuners inside. How can it record more channels than two?

I know I was just going after clarification. Stuart's post didn't make that abundantly clear to the person asking the question.

#78 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:25 AM

Any posibility that 2 AM21's could be hooked up through a usb hub to an H34?

#79 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Any posibility that 2 AM21's could be hooked up through a usb hub to an H34?

Not currently. Would require some software work. And since off-air reception is not a high priority for DirecTV, it's not a likely enhancement.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#80 OFFLINE   toms111la

toms111la

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:54 AM

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr20 drive upgrade