Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advice needed HR34 versus DirectTV Tivo THR22

hr20 drive upgrade

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,885 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

Since you already have one hr24 with an am21, if you add one to your hr34 then you will be able to record four ota at once. Add another one to your other hr and you'd be up to six at once.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:42 PM

I too am trying to decide whether to replace my old HR2x receivers with an HR34, a DirectTV Tivo THR22, or maybe an HR24. I have come to like the HR2x boxes with the improvements that have come over the years, but there is still one thing that I really dislike: the amount of time it takes to switch between screens. For example, with my HR20, if I am in the guide and push "Info" to get details about a show, then press "Back" to return to the guide it takes 16-20 seconds, excluding the time spent reading the details.

If someone(s) would tell me how long it takes to go through the same steps with each of those three boxes (HR24, HR34, THR22) I would be very grateful.

I would like to have MRV and other advanced features I lack, but the responsiveness of the box is even more important to me.

Edited by mgroups, 31 January 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#83 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:52 PM

About 2 seconds on the HR34, about 1.5 seconds on the HR24-500

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#84 OFFLINE   mgroups

mgroups

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

About 2 seconds on the HR34, about 1.5 seconds on the HR24-500

Thanks. Before the new interface (which greatly speeded up scrolling through the guide), I think it took around 5 seconds on the HR20, though I had never timed it. Now right after I reboot it it takes about 8 seconds, but will work its way back up to 16-20. It's definitely time for an upgrade.

Edited by mgroups, 01 February 2012 - 01:28 AM.

#85 OFFLINE   plewis

plewis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

Has anyone tried out the eSata on the HR34 to use a 2TB HD rather than the 1TB internal? Perhaps better to just swap out the 1TB internal with a clean 2TB, but I'd rather not open up the box on the HR34 when it's so new of a device. has anyone done either of these upgrades??
Thanks

#86 OFFLINE   ncted

ncted

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

I too am trying to decide whether to replace my old HR2x receivers with an HR34, a DirectTV Tivo THR22, or maybe an HR24. I have come to like the HR2x boxes with the improvements that have come over the years, but there is still one thing that I really dislike: the amount of time it takes to switch between screens. For example, with my HR20, if I am in the guide and push "Info" to get details about a show, then press "Back" to return to the guide it takes 16-20 seconds, excluding the time spent reading the details.

If someone(s) would tell me how long it takes to go through the same steps with each of those three boxes (HR24, HR34, THR22) I would be very grateful.

I would like to have MRV and other advanced features I lack, but the responsiveness of the box is even more important to me.

About 10 seconds on one of my HR24s and about 2 seconds on the other. I'm curious to know how long it takes on the THR22.

-Ted

#87 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:23 AM

I have a Thr22 and from info back to guide is about a second. I also have 2 hr22 units and after using the tivo it is frustrating to use those sluggish units. I wish the tivo had whole home because if it did i would have 3 tivos.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr20 drive upgrade

Protected By... spam firewall...And...