Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Error 41 - No guide data

sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lobuem

lobuem

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

This is my problem and I need some help narrowing down what to try first.

I have an error receiving guide data on all receivers (3). Self Test fails with Error 41. I am able to watch live programming. Signal test shows every other transponder has zero strength on all receivers.

5LNB dish.
SWM-8.
SWM output 1 goes to power module then location 1.
SWM output 2 is split to locations 2 & 3.
Setup working this way for about a year.

What are the possible things this could be:
-One of the cables from the dish to the SWM?
-Bad SWM?
-Anything else?

Thanks,
Mark

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

This is my problem and I need some help narrowing down what to try first.

I have an error receiving guide data on all receivers (3). Self Test fails with Error 41. I am able to watch live programming. Signal test shows every other transponder has zero strength on all receivers.

5LNB dish.
SWM-8.
SWM output 1 goes to power module then location 1.
SWM output 2 is split to locations 2 & 3.
Setup working this way for about a year.

What are the possible things this could be:
-One of the cables from the dish to the SWM?
-Bad SWM?
-Anything else?

Thanks,
Mark

This first thing to look at would be the coax going to the dish.
Which are reading zero?
101 odds means it's the 13 volt coax
101 evens means it's the 18 volt coax.
if it's the 103 or 119, it means odds = 13 volt 22 KHz and evens 18 volt 22 KHz.
Now one step would be to swap the 13 & 18 volt coax and check if the zeros swap too. If so, then the coax or LNB, if not then more likely is the SWiM.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Guide data failure.
Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations

If I remember correctly, this could be a connector that is wet inside or corroded or it could be the dish has become out of alignment.
With a 5 LNB dish your Guide is coming from the 119° satellite. The LNB for that satellite could also be bad.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Guide data failure.
Possible distribution problem, incorrect ODU selection or signal blockage to one or more satellite locations

If I remember correctly, this could be a connector that is wet inside or corroded or it could be the dish has become out of alignment.
With a 5 LNB dish your Guide is coming from the 119° satellite. The LNB for that satellite could also be bad.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I do need to step in here and correct this.
Without a SWiM, guide data comes from both even & odd transponders and [with the SL5] both 101 & 119.
With an SL3, since there is no 119 LNB, it only comes from 101.
When there is a SWiM, it always comes from 101, "but" since all feeds are active, "it may" only come off the 101 even or odd, and not both.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   lobuem

lobuem

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, that gives me some things to look at this weekend. If I remember right it was the evens that were zero, however I don't remember being able to tell which coax goes where on the dish side. The dish was installed by Directv to one receiver, then a year later I added the SWM-8 and the 2 other receivers. This was a couple of years ago, but I think I had to add 2 of the cables going to the dish to get this to work.

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, that gives me some things to look at this weekend. If I remember right it was the evens that were zero, however I don't remember being able to tell which coax goes where on the dish side. The dish was installed by Directv to one receiver, then a year later I added the SWM-8 and the 2 other receivers. This was a couple of years ago, but I think I had to add 2 of the cables going to the dish to get this to work.

There needs to be four coax going to the dish, but at the SWM8 these are marked. At the dish is doesn't matter because it too has a switch, which is why you can swap the coax at the SWM8 and still have it work.
A.K.A VOS

#7 OFFLINE   lobuem

lobuem

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Thanks very much for your help. Based on this info, the first thing I did was disconnect the 13V cable from the SWM and the tip had crumbled to dust. I had to pull pieces out of the SWM connector and put on a new connector and all is well. This was an easy fix when you know where to look.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

Thanks very much for your help. Based on this info, the first thing I did was disconnect the 13V cable from the SWM and the tip had crumbled to dust. I had to pull pieces out of the SWM connector and put on a new connector and all is well. This was an easy fix when you know where to look.

So from this, it looks like the SWiM only looks at the 101 odd TPs for the guide data.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   lobuem

lobuem

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Well, I don't want to get the ladder back out and climb up to look, but since the evens were the zeroes I must have mistaken which cable was the 13V and which was the 18V. It was definitely the evens that were zero, so that must be where the guide info is.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Well, I don't want to get the ladder back out and climb up to look, but since the evens were the zeroes I must have mistaken which cable was the 13V and which was the 18V. It was definitely the evens that were zero, so that must be where the guide info is.

Then evens it is. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sound

Protected By... spam firewall...And...