Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Wiring Advice Needed

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackie50

jackie50

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 December 2003 - 06:05 PM

I have a question on the correct wiring in order to take advantage of a new Dvd Player we purchased. Here is the set up:

Older stereo with no component jacks, only rca output and input thru aux.

7100 Dishplayer

Dvd Player

We currently have the output of the Dishplyayer going into the stereo which works fine. But my hubby wants to see if this can be done. He wants the Dvd in this senerio now, so when we play Dvd's it will also have the stereo available. At one time he tried to do this with the Vcr, but could never get both the 7100 and the Vcr to have playback thru the stereo at the same time. It was one or the other.

So the question is, with the 3 components above is it possible to get stereo playback thru both the dvd and 7100 without having to unhook and rehook everytime we want to use the dvd player? Simple as possible instructions for a wiring dummie please. Thanks.
Jackie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Roger

Roger

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 04:43 AM

It may be possible. My only guess is if you have a TV with audio out jacks and with two inputs you could run the jacks out from the DVD player and Dishplayer into your TV and have all TV audio go through your stereo if your TV has that option.

Look for two Audio Out jacks (red and white) on the back of your TV and if you have them then you're in business. Just plug the TV out jacks into your Stereo if your TV has at least two Input jacks to take your DVS and Dishplayer and you should be set.

#3 OFFLINE   jackie50

jackie50

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 06:53 AM

By two sets, do you mean we need two separate input and output jacks(One for DP and one for Dvd) on the TV? We do not, only one set, where in I think the problem lies. If thats the case is there an adapter that can be used, and if so what is it called? Thanks,
Jackie

#4 OFFLINE   Roger

Roger

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:16 AM

"By two sets, do you mean we need two separate input and output jacks(One for DP and one for Dvd) on the TV?"

Into your TV yes. If your TV had an audio out and two inputs in then you can run the audio out of your TV regardless on which source you used. Your TV only needs one output (to your stereo) regardless of the source.

"If thats the case is there an adapter that can be used, and if so what is it called?"

I'm sure there is. In fact I know for a fact that they have video game adapters so you can play multiple video game formats without switching anything. I'm not sure of there quality but you could use a video game adapter if a hi-fi one cost too much assuming they have some on the market.

I'd like to help you out without costing you any money.

From what I know you change connections between DP and DVD through your ONLY stereo input which is Aux? Is that correct? Do you have a Tuner input? You can run anything into a stereo line other than the phono stage which is different. So if you have a CD you could use one for that and the other for Aux.

Here are some questions I have for you:

1. How many inputs does your TV have meaning how many different things can you hook up to your TV at one time?

2. Does your TV have an audio out?

3. How many options do you have on your stereo (name them all)?
For example: Tuner, CD, Tape1, Tape 2, Aux etc.

You can use a tape 1 or tape 2 input as well on your stereo.

#5 OFFLINE   jackie50

jackie50

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:33 AM

Running the line into the phono jack might just work according to my hubbie. Will give it a shot. Thanks for the help and ideas.
Jackie

#6 OFFLINE   Roger

Roger

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 518 posts

Posted 26 December 2003 - 07:49 AM

No, the phono jack is set up different (or it should be) than the other lines. Unplug the tape player if necessary and possible and use your other source into that. Perhaps it may work since I don't know how the phono stage is set up on many stereos today. I've got all the outputs and inputs I'll ever need and my phono stage is special Class A and different from all the other lines.

Good luck and fell free to ask more.

#7 OFFLINE   COA

COA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 06:07 PM

DO NOT USE THE PHONO. You may seriously damage your equipment. The "phono" input is a specially amplified line that is not designed for regular audio input. A couple of recommended options for you.

1) As mentioned above- Using the TV as the audio switching point. (TV has a Video 1 and Video 2 input and an audio output). The only problem with this configuration is the TV has to be on to hear any source and you may have to turn off TV speakers or adjust TV's volume to an uncomfortable level to get good sound through the audio system. It depends on whether your TV sends a fixed or variable audio output signal.

2) Recommended--Purchase an A/V switchbox (about $20-30 bucks) from Radio Shack, Circuit City, etc. This will allow to hook up the DVD and satellite to it (one on "a" side the other on "b" side) and, depending on which which button is pressed, will send either source to your audio system. Benefit...you can listen to either TV sound or stereo sound at any desired level. You can listen without TV on (may sound odd, but say you want to hear one of the music stations such as 80s or classical, but don't want to watch TV, then there is no need to have tv on.) Drawback...it will cost you $20-30 bucks.

Hope this helps and good luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...