Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Network Paid Programming Overnight

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:27 AM

I just recently started working midnights. On my days off I have started looking for things to watch and I was unpleasantly surprised to see that a number of the channels I have display Paid Programming and it is an infomercial of some sort. Granted, this may have been like this for some time and I would normally be sleeping and not care. Now that I am awake overnights I wish there was more regular programming, even if it was simply repeats of daytime content. Granted, it isn't a huge deal for me since I can record programs and I also have NetFlix, but I am curious if this has been this way for years or is there getting to be more of this recently?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:06 AM

Network programing has been doing this more and more for years now.

#3 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:53 AM

It's not "Dish Network Paid Programming", they just supply the channel to your tv. They have no contol what goes out over those channels.

#4 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

TCM and Fox Movie Channel are probably your best bet, as they run movies 24x7. Of course, the premium movie channels, except MGM Movies, also show no commercials. Everyone else seems to run nothing but infomercials; though some broadcast channels offer newscasts, as do CNN and FOX News. In the Mountain Time Zone, from midnight to 6 AM, is pretty much a "no man's land" for TV.

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

Unfortunately nothing new here... Even some channels you might not think it, will run late night infomercials... Your best bet is ultimately using a DVR to record earlier programming and watch late at night when you are home.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Nick, TBS and a few others run real programs overnight.

I wish the others would either run programs or just go to a test pattern like they did in the old days.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   retiredTech

retiredTech

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

DVR time shift is the best way to watch TV (anytime of day or night).
Pick what you like(up to 9 days in advance),
watch it when you want and skip thru comercials.

#8 OFFLINE   awblackmon

awblackmon

Legend

• Registered
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Yeah, I used to work nights and on my days off I would stay up later. TV what a joke! DVR was a god send.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

Nick, TBS and a few others run real programs overnight.

I wish the others would either run programs or just go to a test pattern like they did in the old days.

Why would you wish for a test pattern? You still would have nothing to watch, but the channel wouldn't be making money during that time.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#10 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:45 PM

Overnight and the wee hours of the morning, depending on time zone, are when you will find video hits on VH1 and palladia.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#11 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 07:37 PM

I don't get off work at midnight, but I can't watch what i want until almost that late. Each night I look at the day ahead and program the DVR. It has actually made for a better viewing experience. I also check "On Demand" services, but they aren't as friendly for Fast Forwarding.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,309 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:39 PM

I get home at 5pm most nights, but nearly everything I watch is DVR'd. Since I got one of those magic boxes I decide when I watch TV. And since several of my favorite shows are on at 10pm or later and I have to get up for work in the morning watching yesterday's TV (or earlier in the week) is common.

It takes a little planning to decide what series to record. Knowing that there is something that might be good on and catching it can be a challenge. That is a benefit of being home "live" and channel surfing when "good stuff" is on (instead of infomercials) but I find a lot of shows via promos in shows I watch and other advertising. I can't watch everything but I don't have to watch Sham-Wow. :)

#13 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,080 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

I just recently started working midnights. On my days off I have started looking for things to watch and I was unpleasantly surprised to see that a number of the channels I have display Paid Programming and it is an infomercial of some sort. Granted, this may have been like this for some time and I would normally be sleeping and not care. Now that I am awake overnights I wish there was more regular programming, even if it was simply repeats of daytime content. Granted, it isn't a huge deal for me since I can record programs and I also have NetFlix, but I am curious if this has been this way for years or is there getting to be more of this recently?

Don't watch AMC anytime because they have ads every 5 minutes.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#14 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Overnight and the wee hours of the morning, depending on time zone, are when you will find video hits on VH1 and palladia.

What channel # is palladia?

thanks

#15 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

What channel # is palladia?

thanks

#16 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

OK, That must be in Dish's BB package for 10$/month, correct?

Sorry, just saw the "what happened to Paladia" post, It answered the question. Funny, I have the 250 package/ HD for life, and I don't remember coming across this channel before.

Edited by satcrazy, 23 December 2011 - 06:16 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   samhevener

samhevener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 302 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:08 AM

Don't watch AMC anytime because they have ads every 5 minutes.

Your incorrect, AMC airs 4 minutes of a movie during every 10 minute block of commericals. :mad:
AN OLD GEEZER WHO REMEMBERS THE DUMONT TELEVISION NETWORK AND IT'S TOP RATED "CAPTAIN VIDEO AND HIS VIDEO RANGERS", TV NEWS ANCHORMEN WEARING HATS DURING THE NEWSCAST, ONLY 180 SECONDS OF COMMERICALS EACH HALF HOUR, 3 STATIONS ON THE AIR WITH THEIR TEST PATTERNS AIRED FROM 2 TO 3PM, PROGRAMMING FROM 3PM TO 11:30 AND SIGNING OFF AT 11:30PM. HOW COULD I FORGET THE SINGLE FRAME VERTICAL ROLL WHEN THE STATIONS SWITCHED FROM NETWORK TO LOCAL OR LOCAL TO NETWORK AND THE TIME TONE ON THE HOUR.

#18 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

If your local OTA stations carry the nostalgia nets like "MeTV", "Antenna TV" and "THIS" you may find something to watch at any time of day with no infomercials. This is a YMMV situation, as your local station can pull the network feed and substitute an infomercial, however at least here in the Cleveland market these new nostalgia nets seem to be full of programming that people might actually want to watch.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#19 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

I work nights and get home about 1230. There are no news to watch and I don't want to watch AC360 and all that junk. I just look at the scores real quick on the guide and not waste time watching ESPN. But news is what I want but won't get till 4am. It's pretty much dead.

#20 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

I work nights and get home about 1230. There are no news to watch and I don't want to watch AC360 and all that junk. I just look at the scores real quick on the guide and not waste time watching ESPN. But news is what I want but won't get till 4am. It's pretty much dead.

It's a shame "Headline News" is no longer what it started out to be - all news all the time. Just like music videos on MTV or classic TV shows on TV Land, just about every "cable" network that started out with one format evolved to something else.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

spam firewall