Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can I use the Connected Home connection for other devices?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

We just got a new (well re-) installation with the Cinema Connect Service. In one room, we have a THD22 that has an Ethernet cable to a white "Connected Home Adapter". Is this an all purpose Ethernet connection? Can I insert a switch between the white box and the DVR and use the connection for another device as well?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,787 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

It will work if you do that, but is not a recommended configuration.

#3 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:02 AM

I have used that configuration to get internet to my Blu-Ray player for over a year now and have had no problems.

#4 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

I have used that configuration to get internet to my Blu-Ray player for over a year now and have had no problems.

That's exactly what we want to do -- there's no cable to that room and the wireless connection is not fast enough.

Thank you.

#5 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

It will work just fine. I do this in two rooms...

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:23 PM

Just be aware that this is not a supported setup by DirecTV, so if you have problems, you might not get the support that you expect.

If you do have problems, I would remove any devices from the DECA cloud that have been added in there and see if the problem persists. If it does, then you can be pretty certain the issue is with your DirecTV setup and not caused by the extra components you had installed.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   fergosie

fergosie

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

The only problem I recently had was the switch I used reverted to 10mg speed causing the DVR playback when watching in another room was freezing up. I just had to reset the switch and resume using 100mg speed. So when using a switch be sure it's functioning properly before calling DTV.

Edited by fergosie, 02 January 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,451 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:28 PM

Thanks for the input, and :welcome_s to DBSTalk!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:42 AM

I too just put a Blu-ray player onto the DECA cloud using an old 10/100 switch between a DECA adapter and an HR20-700. The setup seems to be working fine.

I'm wondering if I would see any benefit spending a few bucks to replace the 10/100 switch with a Gigabit switch.

Does anyone know if the HR20-700 and/or the DECA adapters have Gigabit ports that could take advantage of a Gigabit switch?

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:47 AM

Does anyone know if the HR20-700 and/or the DECA adapters have Gigabit ports that could take advantage of a Gigabit switch?

Thanks

Yes, and "no"
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

10/100 only....

#12 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Thanks for that info, VOS and CCarncross. Much appreciated. I'll save the money on getting a new switch and be glad to have a use for the old switch.

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

I've tried using DECA's for other devices. It works, but as others have said it isn't recommended because it could cause issues with whole-home. The Samsung RVU TV seems to do ok on the DECA cloud when pulling Netflix, but that's a fairly low-bandwidth connection.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   cover

cover

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

Using DECA to connect the Blu-ray player wasn't my first choice, but turned out to be the only practical approach in that room. Anything else would have meant money and effort for something that will rarely be used. I have Cat6 pulled just about everywhere else, so that's probably the only thing I'll ever need to add to the DECA cloud.

I know if there are any problems with it, I'm on my own. I'll remove it for testing if I see any issues with whole-home.

Thanks for the advice.

spam firewall