Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 monthly cost question

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:29 PM

I ran a one and two TV HR34 scenario through the DirecTV website. With one TV, it looks like the monthly cost is the same as with a standard DVR. With two TVs, the monthly cost for the second receiver and whole-home DVR service are added, for $9 a month more. Now here's the question:

If you have an RVU client for the 2nd TV, does it work the same as as having a second receiver while escaping the $9 per month extra charges? Are there any standalone RVU client boxes on the market yet, or expected? If one could escape $9 per month of fees, the standalone box could be paid for in the first year, depending on what it costs of course.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,558 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

You can't get away from the $6 fee per box (after primary) or RVU. the MRV fee really can't be added to that as its a per account fee, but with two sets, that distinction isn't as important.

A client box (C30) is expected, but no timetable yet that I know of. Keep in mind this or an RVU set use one of the HR34 tuners when watching live tv.

#3 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:00 PM

No one has had a client of any sort yet so no one really knows how they will be charging for actual RVU devices. It has been stated by someone here who works for DirecTV that it will be $6 per RVU client which may be true as is or with modifications. Waiting for someone who actually registers a client to chime in with "the facts." The only thing "for sure" is there will be a fee.

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,111 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

Since the "lease" fee is really a fee for mirroring your programming I strongly anticipate it will be $6.00 in any case, another receiver, C30 client or RVU.

#5 OFFLINE   kcaudiofx

kcaudiofx

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:26 PM

No one has had a client of any sort yet so no one really knows how they will be charging for actual RVU devices. It has been stated by someone here who works for DirecTV that it will be $6 per RVU client which may be true as is or with modifications. Waiting for someone who actually registers a client to chime in with "the facts." The only thing "for sure" is there will be a fee.

I dont work for Directv but I am a Retailer for Directv. On the retailer site where we build the work orders when an HR34 is selected its same as an HR24, when you choose 1 RVU client (2nd tv) then the price jumps $6.00 a month so pretty good assumption its going to be $6 a month

#6 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

I dont work for Directv but I am a Retailer for Directv. On the retailer site where we build the work orders when an HR34 is selected its same as an HR24, when you choose 1 RVU client (2nd tv) then the price jumps $6.00 a month so pretty good assumption its going to be $6 a month

Very interesting.

Edited by TBlazer07, 19 December 2011 - 07:40 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:46 AM

It actually sounds about right....I'm sure the cheapskates were thinking they would be able to go out and buy an RVU client and NOT have to pay $6/month per additional "client".

It makes sense this way based on previous pricing structures for additional receivers.

#8 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

But the HR34 can run 3 concurrent RVU clients. So now we have to figure out if it is $6 for all 3 or $18. I suspect $6 because you have to call to activate RVU and you see an HMC charge of $6. Then you can add RVU clients. So if you have more than one then it will be the same $6 which does reduce costs.

Much like the DVR service is $7 per account and not per DVR.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#9 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

I think this is the error on my order Ill have to get sorted out. They kept on and on about a Samsung tv being needed, and I kept telling them I had one, BUT, I was only connecting the 34 to ONE tv. My order shows the $6.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#10 OFFLINE   markrogo

markrogo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:20 PM

It actually sounds about right....I'm sure the cheapskates were thinking they would be able to go out and buy an RVU client and NOT have to pay $6/month per additional "client".

Yep, those "cheapskates" looking to replace their TV with a new $1300 one to skip out on 6 bucks a month.

#11 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

But the HR34 can run 3 concurrent RVU clients. So now we have to figure out if it is $6 for all 3 or $18. I suspect $6 because you have to call to activate RVU and you see an HMC charge of $6. Then you can add RVU clients. So if you have more than one then it will be the same $6 which does reduce costs.

Much like the DVR service is $7 per account and not per DVR.

It will be per client. Be it a C30 or whatever its final designation will be, an RVU, or some other RVU device.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#12 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

It will be per client. Be it a C30 or whatever its final designation will be, an RVU, or some other RVU device.

That's going to get very complicated then. Because you can have more RVU clients than you can have concurrent RVU streams and what if you have more than 1 HR34 (as Sixto does). Will you be able to register with both? Will it then be $12?

I can see the C30/C?? be the same as a receiver fee but an RVU tv?
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I would guess they will charge you for the first three rvu clients per hr34. the other five after that on each hr34 will not have a charge. Thats just my guess.

#14 OFFLINE   tjbhoward

tjbhoward

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

That $6 fee is an equipment lease fee and they should not charge customers a fee for each of their personal client tv's. I could, however, understand a single fee for rvu service.

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

That $6 fee is an equipment lease fee and they should not charge customers a fee for each of their personal client tv's. I could, however, understand a single fee for rvu service.

The fee is about mirroring programming not equipment. The lease just designated that it was a leased piece of equipment. If you had an owned receiver it was just called an additional receiver fee.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:22 PM

The fee is about mirroring programming not equipment. The lease just designated that it was a leased piece of equipment. If you had an owned receiver it was just called an additional receiver fee.

Yeah, which is why I am sure they will charge you for every rvu client up to 3, but then they can't justify it are that because you can only watch three at a time max.

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Yeah, which is why I am sure they will charge you for every rvu client up to 3, but then they can't justify it are that because you can only watch three at a time max.

I'm not sure I'd take that bet.

#18 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,279 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:46 PM

I'm not sure I'd take that bet.

Your saying they will charge for everyone in the house, even if your max stream is three? That I would never agree with, but who knows.

#19 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Supposedly the C30 is cancelled :(

http://forums.direct...76419#e10976419

But I would assume $6 for HR34 by itself and per-RVU each would be $6 whether TV or RVU-client. I assume you just can start adding RVU clients without contacting them they probably have to activate the amount of RVU's on your HR34

#20 OFFLINE   jczippy

jczippy

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm thinking about making the switch to DirecTV. I've been researching, but have no experience with it, so I apologize if the answer to this question should be obvious. I'd be moving from a 3 tuner home dvr setup (SageTV media center hooked to cable with media extenders on other TVs in the house). Sometimes the 3 tuners get maxed, so bumping it up to 5 with the HR34 is interesting, just trying to figure out the deal with RVU. I know that the stand alone clients aren't out, but it sounds like there will be a $6 per month per box fee (yet to be 100%, confirmed, but seems to be the consensus). That would mean that there would be no cost savings, so the benefit of an RVU client would be:

1. Running ethernet instead of coax
2. Being able to pause live tv

Other than that, the functionality would be the same as a HD Receiver with whole-home DVR enabled, right? Am I missing other benefits?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...