Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 monthly cost question

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

I'm thinking about making the switch to DirecTV. I've been researching, but have no experience with it, so I apologize if the answer to this question should be obvious. I'd be moving from a 3 tuner home dvr setup (SageTV media center hooked to cable with media extenders on other TVs in the house). Sometimes the 3 tuners get maxed, so bumping it up to 5 with the HR34 is interesting, just trying to figure out the deal with RVU. I know that the stand alone clients aren't out, but it sounds like there will be a $6 per month per box fee (yet to be 100%, confirmed, but seems to be the consensus). That would mean that there would be no cost savings, so the benefit of an RVU client would be:

1. Running ethernet instead of coax
2. Being able to pause live tv

Other than that, the functionality would be the same as a HD Receiver with whole-home DVR enabled, right? Am I missing other benefits?

I think the other benefit is there could be a larger breadth of clients than just DirecTV's devices. One example would be if TVs begin to have RVU built-in, then you can have DirecTV in any room without any client box at all. This can be nice esthetically.

Also, some devices which you think of as other things could be RVU clients too. For example, a PC, an iPad or an Xbox could be an RVU client.

This second case is the one that makes me wonder about the pricing scheme. I know people with two iPads, an Xbox and two PCs. Wouldn't they like to be able to watch DirecTV on all of them? But are they really going to pay $6/month for every device just in case they might want to watch TV on it? RVU's capabilities (up to 8 devices per HR34) and DirecTV's pricing systems seem to conflict here.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

...One example would be if TVs begin to have RVU built-in, then you can have DirecTV in any room without any client box at all.

So if I have only one TV and I use wireless to view program from HR34, I get hit with a client fee while if I hook the TV directly I don't?

I could see the equipment in a rack away from the TV to avoid clutter/cables but it seems like their pricing structure is meant for a different era.

#23 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:58 AM

So if I have only one TV and I use wireless to view program from HR34, I get hit with a client fee while if I hook the TV directly I don't?

I could see the equipment in a rack away from the TV to avoid clutter/cables but it seems like their pricing structure is meant for a different era.

Yes, you get charged extra for each RVU client but not for the attached HDMI TV. If your wireless TV you list is an RVU client, you'll get paid.

Your point does seem valid, but also a bit ahead of its time. Right now, HDMI still rules the roost.

I think over time DirecTV will have to figure out a better pricing scheme for RVU given the number of devices you could have. Just as the cellular companies right now have to start moving away from data pricing per device once a single customer might have a phone with data, a car with data, an iPad with data and a PS Vita with data (and more devices coming later). New times mean new pricing models, DirecTV will have to catch up I think.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

#24 OFFLINE   jzoomer

jzoomer

Legend

• Registered
  • 170 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

Your point does seem valid, but also a bit ahead of its time. Right now, HDMI still rules the roost.

I fear the whole RVU idea is not going anywhere so it may be a moot point. I only see one TV manufacturer signed up. I see other manufacturers with DLNA but not the RVU layer. Sony is probably working on their own standard.

#25 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I fear the whole RVU idea is not going anywhere so it may be a moot point. I only see one TV manufacturer signed up. I see other manufacturers with DLNA but not the RVU layer. Sony is probably working on their own standard.

And Apple already did too. You could even count MS wireless presentation scheme before that as another.

Too bad they can't all just get together.
room 1:

room 2:

#26 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

But I want to ad, regardless of whether RVU is common or not, the I think the market will change.

It used to be screens capable of presenting video in a way you want to watch (i.e. not tiny) were rare. So people only had one or a few and went to the room with the TV to watch it. So you could charge people per TV.

In the future, video-viewing devices are far more common, and you're more likely to want to watch content where you are instead of going to the content. So that means you'll want to be able to watch content on any device in your house and maybe even outside your house. At this point, customers have so many viewing devices that charging them per device isn't really realistic anymore, even if this other viewing isn't done over RVU.
room 1:

room 2:

#27 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Oh, I forgot two more of these "thin client" implementations. There is OnLive, a gaming system where the whole game runs on a server and encoded video is sent to your house and control inputs sent back.

The other is I strongly suspect we'll find that Wii U sends encoded video (instead of game code) to its wireless video control pad.
room 1:

room 2:

#28 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:54 PM

Your saying they will charge for everyone in the house, even if your max stream is three? That I would never agree with, but who knows.

$6 for every authorized client no max other than dictated by hardware limitations

#29 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

But I want to ad, regardless of whether RVU is common or not, the I think the market will change.

It used to be screens capable of presenting video in a way you want to watch (i.e. not tiny) were rare. So people only had one or a few and went to the room with the TV to watch it. So you could charge people per TV.

In the future, video-viewing devices are far more common, and you're more likely to want to watch content where you are instead of going to the content. So that means you'll want to be able to watch content on any device in your house and maybe even outside your house. At this point, customers have so many viewing devices that charging them per device isn't really realistic anymore, even if this other viewing isn't done over RVU.

$6 for every authorized client no max other than dictated by hardware limitations

This is going to get messy real fast, real soon. We have seen from the new Price list that it is no longer a leased receiver fee but a "TV" fee. And as Shades says it is per client not the max of the HR34. And in another post he has said that there is currently a limit to 1 HR34 per house but I bet that will lift soon when more units are in production. Then we will have the ipad/tablet/phone/directv2pc/new future device/wii/xbox scenario. Then an RVU will be able to register with multiple HMC's. Then RVU will be in apps.

So at some point it will have to go away from the per viewer fee. It could go to a "per tuner" fee. And the other devices that stream from Directv On Demand etc would have a "Streaming Service" type fee per account same as the DVR fee.

In the next few years I can see Directv going from a DBS type provider to a hybrid streaming type provider (similar to a netflix model but for live tv). Give it 10 years and it will be the norm.
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#30 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

This is going to get messy real fast, real soon. We have seen from the new Price list that it is no longer a leased receiver fee but a "TV" fee. And as Shades says it is per client not the max of the HR34. And in another post he has said that there is currently a limit to 1 HR34 per house but I bet that will lift soon when more units are in production. Then we will have the ipad/tablet/phone/directv2pc/new future device/wii/xbox scenario. Then an RVU will be able to register with multiple HMC's. Then RVU will be in apps.

So at some point it will have to go away from the per viewer fee. It could go to a "per tuner" fee. And the other devices that stream from Directv On Demand etc would have a "Streaming Service" type fee per account same as the DVR fee.

In the next few years I can see Directv going from a DBS type provider to a hybrid streaming type provider (similar to a netflix model but for live tv). Give it 10 years and it will be the norm.

I think you might be taking it a step too far. The max RVC clients per HR34 is 8. Currently tablets and computers do not have RVU software, and I don't see them getting it, so they do not count for the limit or fees.

The iPAD app is a great feature and they are continually improving it. So it's possible that at a later time some sort of mobile fee is put on accounts but it won't be anything with the HR34 pricing.

spam firewall