Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 activation without tech visit

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fred416

fred416

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

Why does dish forces us to have a tech doing the activation of a 922 for us? Why can't i just call? Everything is setup and i'm quite familiar with theses receivers.

Thanks for the info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

They need to confirm you have broadband, basically. They have had people try to set these up with 3G wireless dongles before.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   fred416

fred416

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:38 AM

They need to confirm you have broadband, basically. They have had people try to set these up with 3G wireless dongles before.

Is it the same with the 722?

#4 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

Programming remotes to work with the receiver is different on the 922 also. Not saying it's hard, but it's not the same. Also, when the 922s first came out they were designed to work with a different remote than what actually made it to production and when you first plug it in it asks you to link the remote - if you did you just made the 922 inoperable without a reflash. Because of this they didn't want anyone messing with them except specific 922 trained technicians. They also wouldn't even activate without being connected to the internet initially either. Both of these things have been taken care of (I believe) with newer firmware updates since, but the tech only install remains on the books.

#5 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I believe The 722 only requires a truck roll if it's replacing a solo tuner. In place from a duo I think you can opt for self install.

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

They want the $$$$.

No tech visit, no bill.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Why does dish forces us to have a tech doing the activation of a 922 for us? Why can't i just call? Everything is setup and i'm quite familiar with theses receivers.

Thanks for the info.

There are some quirks with the 922 setup, and the broadband connection too.. And too many people who say "I know how to install this" really don't and then complain and make Dish come out again later... Since the truck roll is included in the 922 upgrade cost anyway, you might as well let them do the setup so you have a fallback position if any problems surface later.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 OFFLINE   neomaine

neomaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

I believe The 722 only requires a truck roll if it's replacing a solo tuner. In place from a duo I think you can opt for self install.

Upgraded from the 622 to the 722 and no go. Still had to send the tech. :(

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,604 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

Upgraded from the 622 to the 722 and no go. Still had to send the tech. :(

There are other considerations... If you have had a lot of service calls or if they think you need a satellite repoint or if you have a lower rating/standing in their system... Probably some other things that I cannot think of play a part too.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   PhantomOG

PhantomOG

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

my 922 died right before Christmas. Dish sent me the replacement in the mail and let me activate it myself. I guess if you already have a 922 its ok?

The instructions they sent with it to activate were not 100% correct as some of the screens and messages were slightly different but I had no trouble whatsoever getting it going.

Edited by PhantomOG, 05 January 2012 - 02:11 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:25 PM

If it's a replacement, yeah, it's ok.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...