Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need suggestions on new reciever...

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

Guys, I'm starting the process of trying to find a new reciever to run my home theatre. I'm probably looking to spend $1000 - $1200 on a new reciever. My current reciever that has powered my system is a Marantz SR 7500 that put out about 105 watts and I loved the sound quality. It's currently in the shop with a Check Pow 5 problem that they might be able to fix for $225.00. I'll keep it as a back up but I'm really looking forward to upgrading to a new reciever. Here's a little info on my current Home Theatre and speaker set up. If anyone could tell me what the advantages would be to upgrade to a more powerful reciever that would be great and also what type of increase in sound quality should I expect. I don't want to purchase a reciever that is more than my speakers can handle. I'll list below my speaker set up so you can match up a nice reciever with them.

My current Marantz seemed to work nice with this set up but what would make this current speaker set up sound even nicer. Love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks, Frank

Reciever - Marantz SR 7500 7.1 (currently being repaired and looking to replace)

Front Speakers - B&W DM 602 S3's (Larger Bookshelf Speakers)

Rear Speakers - B&W DM 601 S3's (Larger Bookshelf Speakers)

Center Channel - B&W LCR600 S3

Subwoofer - HSU Technology VTF2 - MK2

Samsung HDTV HLR5078w Rear Projection HDTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

I just bought the SR6005 because it's marked down to $699 and a steal. Great AVR with the lossless codecs, and I think you will enjoy that. The new model is a SR6006 and is around $1100. IMO, Id buy the SR6005, use it as a preamp and spend the money on a Emotiva amp. Now you are playing big time.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#3 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Not meaning to diss Marantz, but I would suggest you look at the new models from Yamaha and Onkyo (I happen to be somewhat of a Yamaha bigot). Yamaha has a new Aventage series of A/V receivers that have excellent specs and features. Here's one at $1099 MSRP: http://usa.yamaha.co...k_u/?mode=model

As to Onkyo, check the TX-NR809, also $1099 MSRP http://www.us.onkyo....ss=Receiver&p=i

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#4 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

I like Yamaha, but do not like onkyo sound. They are great for cooking bacon though.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

The Denon AVR3312CI might be right up your alley. I'm a Denon convert from Yamaha. I've got mine running though a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.5 mains...yes I smile a lot. Will smile even more when I get the CC-590 center in a few months.

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:22 AM

Nice speakers.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#7 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna look into the Marantz 6005 & 6006. I'll also take a look at the Yamaha, Onkyo & Denon mentioned. I'm leaning towards Marantz because it's what I've had for the last six years and love the sound, just want more of it. Does the speaker set up I have sound decent. It's pretty much all B&W's DM series bookshelf speakers on stands, B&W center and a HSU subwoofer. Obviously not the top of the line B&W stuff but it's what I could afford when I put the system together. Will I notice a difference in sound upgrading from my current Marantz SR 7500 or is it more the addition of all the new bells & whistles. Can't wait to buy myself a xmas present.

#8 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like a nice setup. I just moved from def tech small speakers to klipsch reference line speakers, big change. I also have an HSU sub and love it.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#9 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

Nice setup OP. Take a look at Sony's STR-DA5500 and STR-DA5600 ES receivers.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#10 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

Sounds like a nice setup. I just moved from def tech small speakers to klipsch reference line speakers, big change. I also have an HSU sub and love it.

Elwaylite,

I love the sound of my B&W set up and for the size of the room it sounds amazing. And I love my HSU sub. New very little about it when I purchased it but I just went on some recommendations from people who have them. It just makes a world of difference with movies and music to have that nice warm bass.

You had mentioned in your first reply to my post about considering the Marantz SR 6005 as a pre amp and also purchaing an Emotiva amp. Can you explain that to me? What are the advantages of that? I know lot's of people that have amps but don't really understand what the benefit is. I know I love the way they look but I would really like to know if would be too much power for the size of speakers I have. Any chance you could educate me. Thx.

#11 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:10 AM

Nice setup OP. Take a look at Sony's STR-DA5500 and STR-DA5600 ES receivers.

I'll take a look at both of these. Are they in the same league and price point as the Marantz SR 6005 & Marantz SR 6006? Thanks.

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

I'll take a look at both of these. Are they in the same league and price point as the Marantz SR 6005 & Marantz SR 6006? Thanks.

They're definitely in the big leagues with a slightly higher price tag but well worth it. I have been using sony ES equipment for years.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:51 PM

Quite truthfully, if there was nothing wrong with your Marantz sonically, then replacing it with another solid performer should result in virtually no difference in sound quality. Some will say brand A is a little brighter than brand b, and it may be true, but those guys are usually splitting hairs. When you are dealing with decent consumer stuff, not the crazy priced esoteric gear, its more about features, and ergonomics than drastic performance differences.

#14 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:57 PM

Quite truthfully, if there was nothing wrong with your Marantz sonically, then replacing it with another solid performer should result in virtually no difference in sound quality. Some will say brand A is a little brighter than brand b, and it may be true, but those guys are usually splitting hairs. When you are dealing with decent consumer stuff, not the crazy priced esoteric gear, its more about features, and ergonomics than drastic performance differences.

I agree with this, because it also depends on the the brand of the amp and the speakers you are driving. I noticed a little less "metallic" sound going from Onkyo to Denon, but nothing from Denon to Marantz. Only reason I got the 6005 was the deal and the better amp.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:01 PM

I agree with this

Tried to PM this to ya, but it wont let you PM attachments, so Ill put it here.
Took it last week when I drove by their place.

Attached Thumbnails

• klipsch.jpg

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:04 PM

Sweet! Im a new Klipsch speaker owner, and have become a huge fan of the gear.
65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI

#17 OFFLINE   Italfra1

Italfra1

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

I couldn't agree more. The current sound with the Marantz SR 7500 is sweet and I happen to love the B&W speaker setup that I have. If the room was larger I would consider larger floor speakers but right now it makes no sense for me to go that route. I am interested in upgrading the reciever to one of the new Marantz's or looking into some of the other options that some people have suggested. Probably not going to notice a whole lot of difference in sound quality with a new reciever and I'm fine with that because I like my current sound. But I will like all the new bells & whistles.

Can anyone explain to me what the purpose is of buying a nice reciever and than an Emotiva amp to go along with it. What is the purpose of having a seperate amp?

Thx.

#18 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:06 PM

I have an ES series AVR but I relegated it to a secondary role when I found out it clips the video signal through HDMI. I would recommend you check AVS Forum for the model you are considering and get confirmation that they no longer have this "issue" before going that route.

I replaced it with an Pioneer Elite SC-27 and absolutely love it so I'd suggest you take a look at their current lineup as well.

#19 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

Preparing your environment can make more of a difference than spending more on a receiver in most cases. I've had $1800 receivers and I've had $300 receivers. There are obviously more options in that extreme but once you get around the $500 - $1000 price range your options start to get less per $ and more about stuff that may or may not matter. However taking that $500-$1000 dollars and spending it on acoustically prepping your room will make a $500 receiver sound amazing compared to a $1800 receiver in a non prepped environment. Most people attempt to compensate a poor acoustic room with more expensive parts. I'm not saying it doesn't sound better than cheaper parts but it's not always the best bang for the buck.

Buy a receiver that has the options you want and then spend the extra cash on environment and speakers.

#20 OFFLINE   John Williams

John Williams

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:10 PM

Preparing your environment can make more of a difference than spending more on a receiver in most cases. I've had $1800 receivers and I've had $300 receivers. There are obviously more options in that extreme but once you get around the $500 - $1000 price range your options start to get less per $ and more about stuff that may or may not matter. However taking that $500-$1000 dollars and spending it on acoustically prepping your room will make a $500 receiver sound amazing compared to a $1800 receiver in a non prepped environment. Most people attempt to compensate a poor acoustic room with more expensive parts. I'm not saying it doesn't sound better than cheaper parts but it's not always the best bang for the buck.

Buy a receiver that has the options you want and then spend the extra cash on environment and speakers.

+1 on this.
All you have to do is just start talking and slowly cup your hands around your mouth. Notice how VERY dramatically the sound of your voice changes. This same thing happens when you put speakers in a corner, or close to a wall, in a cabinet, or just having them 'in a room'.
The room you are listening to a sound system in, will account for 40-60% of the sound you hear on average. A bad sounding room is going to sound bad no matter how much money you throw in equipment - including Audyssey band-aids :lol:
Locating the speakers properly in the room, seating locations, and possibly acoustic treatments for certain problems, are the best money to spend when it comes to sound. Unfortunately, if you don't know how to apply this science to your listening space, it isn't going to help. And most people don't - there are engineering degrees of several years that apply to this stuff. And listening to people on the internet is certainly a bad idea in this category.
Either hire a pro to help: http://www.homeacoustics.net/ good place to start. Or be prepared to do a lot of research, here are some good links to start:
http://www.rpginc.com/news/library.htm
http://www.acoustics101.com/

Of course the easiest way out of this is just get another Marantz receiver. If you already liked the sound you had and don't want to dive into it any deeper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...