Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is failing?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:09 PM

I have an HR20 which had it's hard drive fail a couple of years back. I have been running successfully with a Wd 1T drive since then. Recently I have noticed I will turn my tv on and discover my Hr20 is back to using the internal drive but having freeze ups(the original problem). My solution is to unplug the external drive's power and the Hr20 power and then fire it all back up, giving the hard drive a 30 second head start. It always comes back up and works. In a day or so, I find the HR20 using the internal drive again an so I repeat the process. Tonight I tried just rebooting the HR20 and got an error75-542. I then rebooted both devices. After watching about 45 minutes, the HR 20 suddenly told me it was restarting. I let it and it came back up on the internal drive. Can any one tell me which device is likely to be my culprit?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:13 PM

75: On Screen Text: “External Storage Error Detected a problem was detected reading your external storage device. Please unplug or remove your external storage device, reboot your receiver and rerun the test. If that doesn’t work, then please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 75”

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

75: On Screen Text: "External Storage Error Detected a problem was detected reading your external storage device. Please unplug or remove your external storage device, reboot your receiver and rerun the test. If that doesn't work, then please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 75"

I think that was because I let it reboot without rebooting the external drive and it detected the known bad internal drive. Of course I don't know for sure.

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:09 PM

Are either your DVR or external drive on a UPS? It sounds like something is causing your DVR to reset, and the external drive doesn't come up fast enough to be detected while the DVR is booting up.

#5 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:04 AM

Are either your DVR or external drive on a UPS? It sounds like something is causing your DVR to reset, and the external drive doesn't come up fast enough to be detected while the DVR is booting up.

The drive is eSATA. Are you saying that both the drive and the HR20 are resetting? What would happen if just the DVR reset?

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

The drive is eSATA. Are you saying that both the drive and the HR20 are resetting? What would happen if just the DVR reset?

I guess I was speculating that maybe your power is bumping just enough that both are resetting. I would think if the drive was good and the HR was resetting that it should see and use the external drive.

Maybe try resetting the eSATA connections on both the HR and the external enclosure. Make sure those are solid on both ends.

#7 OFFLINE   Papa J

Papa J

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

I don 't know why but problem went away, at least for now. Thanks for your help!

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:10 AM

I guess I was speculating that maybe your power is bumping just enough that both are resetting. I would think if the drive was good and the HR was resetting that it should see and use the external drive.

Maybe try resetting the eSATA connections on both the HR and the external enclosure. Make sure those are solid on both ends.

About a third to one-half of the time, when my HR20-700 is rebooted, it will not see the external drive. Doing a menu restart, it sees the external drive just fine. (2 TB with Thermaltake Dock)

It's been that way ever since I started using eSATA ....it happened with similar frequency, probably even more with my FAP750. Since about a year ago, when I got the Thermaltake Dock and a 2 TB drive, it happens less often than with the FAP750, but still happens.

In my situation, I think it's "normal".

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

About a third to one-half of the time, when my HR20-700 is rebooted, it will not see the external drive. Doing a menu restart, it sees the external drive just fine. (2 TB with Thermaltake Dock)

It's been that way ever since I started using eSATA ....it happened with similar frequency, probably even more with my FAP750. Since about a year ago, when I got the Thermaltake Dock and a 2 TB drive, it happens less often than with the FAP750, but still happens.

In my situation, I think it's "normal".

Huh, makes me wonder what is "normal". My TTs always are recognized by the 20-700s, no matter if it's an NR or a Menu Reboot. I thought that was "normal".

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

Huh, makes me wonder what is "normal". My TTs always are recognized by the 20-700s, no matter if it's an NR or a Menu Reboot. I thought that was "normal".

Rich

Yep, lots of variability in how these boxes work. Makes it interesting, if not challenging!:)

BTW the same drive you recommended to me many months ago, continues to just purr away. Love the Thermaltake dock and the EVDS (I think...that's what I have) 2 TB.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

spam firewall