Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

All DVR's Must be connected to same switcher

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

So, if you look at the PlayLists on the receivers connected to Switch 2, they all see each other and all the receivers on Switch 1 see each other, correct?

- Merg

Yes exactly, all receivers on switch 1 see each other and their respective playlists, all receivers on switch 2 see each other and their respective playlists but receivers on switch 1 don't see receivers on switch 2 or their playlists and vice versa

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I had the same problem with a BEFSR41. All devices had to be on the same physical switch to see each other. The problem went away when I used my Actionteq Q1000 modem for the router and put in a GBit workgroup switch off of the Q1000 to give me more connectivity along with a second D-Link switch off of the same Q1000 to provide POE for a remote access point. The BEFSR41 is now sitting on the shelf

Edited by azarby, 22 December 2011 - 12:28 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   erpbridge

erpbridge

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

DVRs and receivers do not need to be on the same physical switch. They do, however, need to be on the same physical leg of the network, and within the same subnet. Network equipment does not have to be made by the same manufacturer, it can be different vendor for all pieces.

I am presuming your network setup, as indicated above, is as follows:

Router port 1 -> Switch 1 -> DVR1
Router port 3 -> Switch 2 -> DVR2

Go into the Network setup on the DVRs. What are the IP addresses and subnet masks displayed on each? (Also, I am presuming they are setup for automatic configuration, in which they are being automatically provided their network information.)

What we want to do is make sure the DVRs are in the same subnet. Typically, the only difference you would see is the subnet is the same on both (255.255.255.0) to allow for a network 253 devices large (usually, much more than a typical residence needs), and the devices themselves will only differ in the last number of the IP address, and at that, usually only a few numbers apart.

We may also be dealing with some sort of VLAN configuration issue on the BEFSR41 router, in which it isolates traffic coming in each port of the router's local-area side interface into a separate VLAN... but this is typically non-standard and intentionally setup by the end user. However, lets try verifying basic network addressing first before moving into higher level problems.

#24 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:53 PM

DVRs and receivers do not need to be on the same physical switch. They do, however, need to be on the same physical leg of the network, and within the same subnet. Network equipment does not have to be made by the same manufacturer, it can be different vendor for all pieces.

I am by far not a networking guru, but my HR24 and HR20 are connected to two different switches manufactured by two different vendors and they see each other perfectly.

As you stated, they are on the same network and subnet.

#25 OFFLINE   ljg1118

ljg1118

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

I am presuming your network setup, as indicated above, is as follows:

Router port 1 -> Switch 1 -> DVR1
Router port 3 -> Switch 2 -> DVR2

Correct

Go into the Network setup on the DVRs. What are the IP addresses and subnet masks displayed on each? (Also, I am presuming they are setup for automatic configuration, in which they are being automatically provided their network information.)

Switch 1 DVR

192.168.1.7 (static)

Swicth 2 DVR

192.168.1.8(statiic)
What we want to do is make sure the DVRs are in the same subnet. Typically, the only difference you would see is the subnet is the same on both (255.255.255.0) to allow for a network 253 devices large (usually, much more than a typical residence needs), and the devices themselves will only differ in the last number of the IP address, and at that, usually only a few numbers apart.

We may also be dealing with some sort of VLAN configuration issue on the BEFSR41 router, in which it isolates traffic coming in each port of the router's local-area side interface into a separate VLAN... but this is typically non-standard and intentionally setup by the end user. However, lets try verifying basic network addressing first before moving into higher level problems.

See above

spam firewall