Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New hd guide sd connections

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:36 AM

I have 6 tv's running from one hd receiver in living room. I have rf remote in every room to control. Now it is all worthless. Beacuse of the stupid message this tv is not connected to hd blah blah it blocks the screen. No matter where I am in the house I have to walk to living room to change channels or do anything.

My system is 16 years old, but still works great. Is there a new distribution system that can fix this problem?

DTV answer is to put a receiver on each tv or change to sd, neither one is what I want. I want to watch, pause, ff my recordered shows.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:42 AM

:confused:
You're distributing the signal through SD, so why not simply change the resolution to SD/480?
there's a press and hold of the exit button that toggles HD/SD for this.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:45 AM

You add can one of these-At your source then connect the composite out to a RF modulator and feed your system as before.

http://www.amazon.co...g/dp/B003FJKHBU

Going forward the additional connections will be elimited from future D* receiver (example) H25 you can get an adapter at this time but with the addition of the HR34 and RUV Tv's the need for the additional expense is driving the market change.

Edited by WestDC, 21 December 2011 - 08:56 AM.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#4 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:03 AM

Thank you for the advice. If I change the resolution will recorded shows then be recorded at that resolution, so when I do watch in living room they won't be hd?

Will check out the new distribution info, that sounds like what I need.

So frustrated yesterday with dtv not knowing what I needed or was talking about.

Just remembered this forum - I beta tested the first dtv hd recorder and had to use this frequently.

Thanks

#5 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:08 AM

I have the same issue. I have an RF modulator for the upstairs TV. Worked perfectly until the change.

Now, I have to hold down INFO to put the entire receiver in SD. That sucks, because before someone could be watching a show in HD in the living room and I could watch it in SD upstairs. Now, I have to shift the entire DVR into SD to get it to work.

And if someone leaves it in a menu, I get a black screen.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:09 AM

In a bit of defense of the CSRs, this isn't a normal setup that they deal with that often.

When it comes to the more unusual or advanced setups, this site is a much bigger help.

#7 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Not sure that will solve my problem after looking. My main tv is hooked to the receiver directly and displays hd. All the other tvs are distributed by coax through an empty analog channel. They are all hd tv, so I still want the wide screen pic to come through. Easiest thing for me would be just to be able to make the message disappear.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:13 AM

Thank you for the advice. If I change the resolution will recorded shows then be recorded at that resolution, so when I do watch in living room they won't be hd?

This change is only for the output resolution and does nothing for the recordings.
I'll need to toggle as you move from an SD to HD TV.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

Will check out the new distribution info, that sounds like what I need.

So frustrated yesterday with dtv not knowing what I needed or was talking about.

Just remembered this forum - I beta tested the first dtv hd recorder and had to use this frequently.

Thanks

To answer your question about recording:

The change in resolution to 480 only affects output. Recordings still record at the solution that is transmitted.

Edit: Too slow, VOS beat me to the answer.
DogLover

My Setup

#10 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:15 AM

Not sure that will solve my problem after looking. My main tv is hooked to the receiver directly and displays hd. All the other tvs are distributed by coax through an empty analog channel. They are all hd tv, so I still want the wide screen pic to come through. Easiest thing for me would be just to be able to make the message disappear.

Why not find a way to have everything in HD?
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#11 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

That would be great tell me how

#12 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:22 AM

My main tv is hooked to the receiver directly and displays hd. All the other tvs are distributed by coax Easiest thing for me would be just to be able to make the message disappear.

I find my self in the same predicament! IMO this is a serious lack of functionality in this new GUI roll-out that existed before in the "old" software/ firmware. So now we can't view programming in HD on an HD TV in one room while watching it simultaneously on an SD TV in another room? This is UNACCEPTABLE and because of this (in my situation at least) I consider the new GUI broken and not worth it. Hopefully if enough people complain about this D* will fix this in a future update.

Why not find a way to have everything in HD?

Like what?! Tear out the drywall and rewire the house with HDMI cable? Our house was wired back in the day when it was built with a coax distribution system. Obsolete by today's standards I realize but it functions well for our needs, as we don't need HD in the kitchen or in the guest bedrooms. Perhaps it's time to look into a wireless HDMI system? Can anyone offer some suggestions here?
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:36 AM

Can anyone offer some suggestions here?

Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter
http://www.monoprice...at=1#largeimage
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

That would be great tell me how

Like what?! Tear out the drywall and rewire the house with HDMI cable? Our house was wired back in the day when it was built with a coax distribution system. Obsolete by today's standards I realize but it functions well for our needs, as we don't need HD in the kitchen or in the guest bedrooms. Perhaps it's time to look into a wireless HDMI system? Can anyone offer some suggestions here?

As CD points out, wireless HDMI. Not a cheap solution and nothing I have found searching is good for a very long range. Could you possibly run or have run CAT5 to the other locations? You could then buy from amazon some HDMI to CAT5 baluns and HD will be achieved.

http://www.amazon.co...FQVX9KVTCCZNDG9
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#15 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Could you possibly run or have run CAT5 to the other locations?

Well that's the problem. Fishing the CAT5 would not be feasible considering the layout of the house. Wireless would be the way to go if there was a reliable system available.

Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter

How does this help? Converting YpbPr to HDMI output is great, just how to get it to the other rooms is the problem! Or are you thinking of sending the HDMI from the converter to the HD TV? The HD TV gets it's HD signal via HDMI from my Yamaha receiver, sure don't want to change that!
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

How does this help? Converting YpbPr to HDMI output is great, just how to get it to the other rooms is the problem! Or are you thinking of sending the HDMI from the converter to the HD TV? The HD TV gets it's HD signal via HDMI from my Yamaha receiver, sure don't want to change that!

It doesn't change component to HDMI, but changes component to composite/SVideo so it would be used to replace the SD outputs of the receiver you're using now.
HDMI to your main HD TV, and component to your distribution system.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

You go from the component out on the DVR into that converter, then from the converter you get a composite signal that should go to your other TVs.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#18 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Another not-so-cheap but possibly a bit more future- and past-proof (since the OP says he already has coax runs to his other TVs) is an ATSC RF modulator, like this one shown at Solid Signal. Basically, if the other TVs in the house have ATSC tuners in them (if they're less than a few years old and can get local HD OTA, they'll be ATSC), something like this will let you use your existing coax runs AND give you actual HD on your other TVs.

If running new cables isn't off the table, the HDMI or Component over Cat5 option is likely a better choice but is, again, an expensive option. However, the baluns to be connected at each end can be replaced over time to support a different type of signal as your needs change. Just remember to run twice as much cable as you think you might need of the best kind money can buy (hint: it's not always the most expensive) and run an additional pull-string should you need to run even more cables than that later.

#19 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

915 dollars are you kidding? All I need is for dtv to remove the darn message!!

#20 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

$915 !

Protected By... spam firewall...And...