Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New hd guide sd connections

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:45 AM

Component (YpbPr) to Composite Converter
http://www.monoprice...at=1#largeimage

$915 !

I suggest you try the component to composite converter, nowhere near that much money.

Use the link above and it's product # 7114

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:50 AM

I suggest you try the component to composite converter, nowhere near that much money.

Use the link above and it's product # 7114

Since the link doesn't take you to the right item:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1324489783

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Capture2.PNG

Capture.PNG
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

So now we can't view programming in HD on an HD TV in one room while watching it simultaneously on an SD TV in another room? This is UNACCEPTABLE and because of this (in my situation at least) I consider the new GUI broken and not worth it. Hopefully if enough people complain about this D* will fix this in a future update.

I don't believe D* can fix it. My theory is that the reason the new HD GUI is a little faster, even though it's responsible for generating more pixels, is that D* is now using a previously unused function in the chipset inside the box. But that function has limitations, and this is one of them.

D* never advertised using more that one output at once. You were using the box in a unsupported configuration. There appear to be workarounds available with the new GUI, and D* even included one via holding down the exit key. Since a small percentage of people use the box like this, it's probably far down on D*'s list of things to fix (if they can fix it at all). If D* took the time to implement the exit button workaround instead of fixing the problem, that's not a good sign.

Dish *DOES* actively promote this configuration. You can always switch to them if it's a critical feature for you.

FYI, I also use the box in an unsupported configuration. I have a USB cable changing channels for my Tivo on one of the boxes. If that's taken away, I'll just have to find my Tivo IR emitters and use those instead.

#25 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

Thanks veryoldschool, a picture is worth a thousand words. :)

#26 ONLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,860 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:03 PM

I believe it was a matter of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few. Rendering the UI in multiple resolutions would have slowed things down and would only have benefited that small percentage who run more than one TV from a receiver. This was not a problem with the old UI since it was always rendered in 480p and then scaled as necessary.
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   paulnj

paulnj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Very Old Schol is 100% on the money here. Bought this yesterday and had it shipped overnight. New GUI download last night, installed convertor after UOS delivery this morning, everything back to normal.

Easy fix, HD/SD work seemlessly.

Edited by paulnj, 21 December 2011 - 12:13 PM.
spelling.

#28 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

It doesn't change component to HDMI, but changes component to composite/SVideo so it would be used to replace the SD outputs of the receiver you're using now.
HDMI to your main HD TV, and component to your distribution system.

My bad! :(

I had this mixed up with the "Component (YPbPr) & S/PDIF Digital Coax/Optical Toslink Audio to HDMI Converter" which is all I saw on Monoprice's home page (where the posted link took me). Unfortunately these URL links to Monoprice's web site don't take you to the specific product.
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

My bad! :(

Unfortunately these URL links to Monoprice's web site don't take you to the specific product.

It was "my bad" too. I had the link work here as I posted it, but it was still cached here so it worked.
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

I really don't understand how any of these things will fix my situation. My tvs are using coaxial which is installed through the walls. Even if I go out to distribution through anything else it still is going to end up going through the coax to the tvs.

My remotes will work to ff and rw, and message disappears after a while. But cannot see playlist or other things.

I am going to call DISH out after the holidays, but I also have DTV upper level person getting in touch with me.

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

I really don't understand how any of these things will fix my situation. My tvs are using coaxial which is installed through the walls. Even if I go out to distribution through anything else it still is going to end up going through the coax to the tvs.

My remotes will work to ff and rw, and message disappears after a while. But cannot see playlist or other things.

I am going to call DISH out after the holidays, but I also have DTV upper level person getting in touch with me.

First: How are you currently sending the signal through coax?
If you're connecting a modulator to the SD outputs of the receiver, then "simply" use this converter posted and connect it from the HD analog [component] output and then use the SD output to your modulator.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,050 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

So are you using composite (red, white, yellow) to an rf modulator?

The Monoprice solution would be this converter off the Component to the the rf modulator. You can still do it. What are you using for the RF modulator?

#33 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:30 PM

I believe it was a matter of the needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few.

While that's certainly true, considering D*'s subscriber base numbers in the millions, there has to be several thousand of us in the "few" category experiencing this problem, not that D* gives a damn!
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

While that's certainly true, considering D*'s subscriber base numbers in the millions, there has to be several thousand of us in the "few" category experiencing this problem, not that D* gives a damn!

So 0.1% or less?
A.K.A VOS

#35 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

Marwood, please share with us your conversation with the "upper level person" you speak with!
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#36 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

So 0.1% or less?

Guess we'll never really know...
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#37 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

So are you using composite (red, white, yellow) to an rf modulator?

This is my situation, using a Radio Shack RF modulator. Unfortunately the Radio Shack unit doesn't have an S-Video input, so if I go with the Monoprice down converter I will also need to find an RF converter that will accept an S-Video cable. PITA but doable...

Posted Image
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#38 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,695 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

This is my situation, using a Radio Shack RF modulator. Unfortunately the Radio Shack unit doesn't have an S-Video input, so if I go with the Monoprice down converter I will also need to find an RF converter that will accept an S-Video cable. PITA but doable...

Posted Image

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
So the yellow composite output is there for what reason?
A.K.A VOS

#39 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

For one remote 19" HD 720P TV, I am using an RF Link transmitter plugged into the HR20-700 composite out. At the remote TV end, some 25 ft away in another room, I receive the signal and feed TV the composite video and audio. Picture OK, but have a composite to HDMI converter coming so I can feed TV with 720P up-conversion. The "Not in HD" window always goes away after 30 seconds, and picture is widescreen and very good. If I had more than one remote, I could use other receivers for each.

#40 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

For one remote 19" HD 720P TV, I am using an RF Link transmitter plugged into the HR20-700 composite out. At the remote TV end, some 25 ft away in another room, I receive the signal and feed TV the composite video and audio. Picture OK, but have a composite to HDMI converter coming so I can feed TV with 720P up-conversion. The "Not in HD" window always goes away after 30 seconds, and picture is widescreen and very good. If I had more than one remote, I could use other receivers for each.

Have you thought of getting a 1x2 HDMI Matrix switch? Takes one input and has 2 HDMI outputs. You can either run a 25ft HDMI cable to your 19" or try HDMI over Ethernet (Cat6 in your case).
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

spam firewall