Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New hd guide sd connections

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Do you watch the main tv in hd at the same time you watch one of the other tvs you have being feed by your distribution system?

Yes, that's the problem. I'll often times be watching the HD TV in the living room while my better half will be watching the SD TV while she's cooking dinner in the kitchen. ;)
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm in a similar situation in feeding several tv's via modulated rf and the main hdtv via component since the hdmi on my hr20-700 died. I haven't seen any of the component to composite converters that have loop thru for the component which would be what I need. Anyone have any ideas (solutions)?

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Sorry the link isnt working. Put in product id 2848 ($3 each)
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#53 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

I'm in a similar situation in feeding several tv's via modulated rf and the main hdtv via component since the hdmi on my hr20-700 died. I haven't seen any of the component to composite converters that have loop thru for the component which would be what I need. Anyone have any ideas (solutions)?

Maybe a Component Splitter Box?
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Yes, that's the problem. I'll often times be watching the HD TV in the living room while my better half will be watching the SD TV while she's cooking dinner in the kitchen. ;)

Then I still don't see this as a problem that can't be easily overcome. You control it in the room with the HDTV, so she won't need to worry about seeing the on screen controls, or press and hold exit, switch the resolution, or get the adapter for the component output. There are several ways around this issue.

#55 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

D* never advertised using more that one output at once. You were using the box in a unsupported configuration. There appear to be workarounds available with the new GUI, and D* even included one via holding down the exit key. Since a small percentage of people use the box like this, it's probably far down on D*'s list of things to fix (if they can fix it at all). If D* took the time to implement the exit button workaround instead of fixing the problem, that's not a good sign.

Dish *DOES* actively promote this configuration. You can always switch to them if it's a critical feature for you.

While your post is accurate, this isn't some 'crazy' setup I dreamed up. My DirecTV installer charged me $40 extra and provided an RF Modulator and a UHF remote and installed it for me.

It was his idea, not mine....

I really don't understand how any of these things will fix my situation. My tvs are using coaxial which is installed through the walls. Even if I go out to distribution through anything else it still is going to end up going through the coax to the tvs.

Your HD receiver doesn't have a coax output, so you have something (rf modulator) converting Svideo or Composite to coax. This box goes in between them and resolved your issue.

Correct. This message does NOT appear on any of the HD outputs. It appears on ALL of the SD outputs if the receiver is using 720p/1080i/1080p resolution. Since the receiver has TWO HD outputs, connect the HDMI output to the HDTV and use the other HD output (component) to feed all the other SD connections.

It ONLY appears on live tv. If someone leaves it in the guide, a menu, the screen saver you get a black screen.

Then I still don't see this as a problem that can't be easily overcome. You control it in the room with the HDTV, so she won't need to worry about seeing the on screen controls, or press and hold exit, switch the resolution, or get the adapter for the component output. There are several ways around this issue.

Only if you don't mind changing the main HDTV to SD. The BIG problem is that you can't watch HD in one room and SD in the other room at the same time.

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,393 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

Only if you don't mind changing the main HDTV to SD. The BIG problem is that you can't watch HD in one room and SD in the other room at the same time.

In which case the component to composite output is something to consider if you use that configuration often,which again solves this issue completely, and basically allows the system to work like it did before.

#57 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Only graphics can't be displayed on the SD set while the DVR is set to output an HD signal so after the message on the SD TV times out, video will display without issue while the DVR is still outputting in HD.
Vin

#58 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
So the yellow composite output is there for what reason?

to be a lower quality (slightly) than s-video

#59 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

One more thing. In my situation I have apx 35 ft feed under house and through walls from rec to main tv. I had so many prob with hdmi at that length I switched to component. Guess I need to look into a hdmi converter to my dist system?

#60 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Only graphics can't be displayed on the SD set while the DVR is set to output an HD signal so after the message on the SD TV times out, video will display without issue while the DVR is still outputting in HD.

All true! In my case I want the ability to change channels/ access the guide etc. from the other SD TV's without putting the receiver in SD mode, so the down converter is seemingly the only "no brainer" solution. Many thanks to all for providing that solution. :goodjob:

Now all I have to do is pull my two ton solid oak entertainment system out from the wall to access the back of the receiver! :mad:
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#61 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:33 PM

One more thing. In my situation I have apx 35 ft feed under house and through walls from rec to main tv. I had so many prob with hdmi at that length I switched to component. Guess I need to look into a hdmi converter to my dist system?

um why?

use the many times linked component to composite converter and you'll be good

I'm starting to wonder as its been mentioned and linked many times why its seems to be ignored, also when with the viglink thing stop breaking the links

#62 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
So the yellow composite output is there for what reason?

to be a lower quality (slightly) than s-video

I believe VOS was being sarcastic because I didn't notice the composite video output on the converter! :D

Regardless of whether the signal source to the RF Modulator is composite or S-Video once the signal is converted to RF and distributed via coax the quality is going to be about the same (not great!).
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#63 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

915 dollars are you kidding? All I need is for dtv to remove the darn message!!

I did say it was rather expensive. There are likely less expensive units out there, too. It just happened to be the first one I found to show as an example. Additionally, those units will likely get less expensive over time like everything else.

Besides, like I said before, going to an ATSC modulator offers two distinct benefits. First, it upgrades your video network to a true HD signal on those 6 HDTVs in your home (as you noted in one of your earlier posts). Second, you can use your existing cabling infrastructure in doing so with no additional cost to re-wire anything.

It appears that cost is more of a factor here that I first anticipated (what was I thinking... 6 HDTVs?). If that's true, then the component-to-composite adapter is likely your better option for now.

#64 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Not sure that will solve my problem after looking. My main tv is hooked to the receiver directly and displays hd. All the other tvs are distributed by coax through an empty analog channel. They are all hd tv, so I still want the wide screen pic to come through. Easiest thing for me would be just to be able to make the message disappear.

I find my self in the same predicament! IMO this is a serious lack of functionality in this new GUI roll-out that existed before in the "old" software/ firmware. So now we can't view programming in HD on an HD TV in one room while watching it simultaneously on an SD TV in another room? This is UNACCEPTABLE and because of this (in my situation at least) I consider the new GUI broken and not worth it. Hopefully if enough people complain about this D* will fix this in a future update.

I too am in a similar situation. I am currently using all of the outputs on my RH21 boxes. To abandon all three of the SD outputs using the suggested converters/adapters, I would need to split either the HDMI or component outputs, run one of them into a HDMI or component to video or S-Video converter, then run the output of that into a three way splitter, all to get the same functionality I had using just the HR21 before the new HD GUI. With the signals going through so many little boxes, I fear there would be a serious degredation of quality.

Since I am fully aware of the "situation" I would be plenty happy if they just allowed me to do away with the warning screen. I would be satisfied if it disappeared in one or two seconds, instead of the 20+ seconds it takes now. Like I said, I know what's happeneing so if I press abutton and the graphics don't show up but the picture is still there, that would work for me. I really don't think this is an unreasonable request. I'm showing some flexability here.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#65 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:03 PM

While your post is accurate, this isn't some 'crazy' setup I dreamed up. My DirecTV installer charged me $40 extra and provided an RF Modulator and a UHF remote and installed it for me.

It was his idea, not mine....

Understood. The installer did something slightly outside the lines, which they often do to make people happy. Mine provided the RF modulator to my old TV free of charge during the "switch from 72.5 locals" upgrade. I'm not using it. Actually, I could plug that into the coaxial cable jack near the TV and see if the signal will get distributed throughout the house. At least until my area gets the HD GUI upgrade. :)

You can try to call D* and ask them for a $40 credit (or something like it) to cover the cost of the converter box. Explain the situation. Tell them the DirecTV installer helped you solve your problem but the HD GUI update broke it.

Even if it was a DIY project, you can call D* and ask for credits or something like that. The worst thing they can do is say "no."

#66 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

F1: I already had the RF Link Transmitters working. I don't particularly want to run another cable up and over and down into the den, about 45-50 feet. The costs are still coming down for powered splitter/converters as well as the new RF Link WHD-5001, an HD transmitter and receiver.
Thanks for your tip.

#67 OFFLINE   drded

drded

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationTucson, AZ

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:19 PM

I hate to sound sarcastic, but wouldn't it be nice if the development and decision teams actually listened to what us folks are asking for instead of continually defending what is?

A toggle for the message would be nice. Give us the option of displaying it. Also, figure out how to make the GUI display on the video output regardless of the picture resolution.

Think of the hundreds of people that have the same problem and we just don't hear about it. Or what kind of impression is DirecTV making when someone visits your home and sees that warning message on the screen for what seems an eternity. I don't think new customers will be gained.

Dave

5LNB Slimline
HR34-700 & HR24-200
HDMI > HDMI Switch > Toshiba DLP
NetGear Ethernet Switcher

#68 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thank you drded. I agree 100%. When I called yesterday they basically told me to bug off. I have been a customer since 1995 - beta tested their first dvr - my bill is well over 100 a month and they treated me like crap. I know this effects LOTS of customers, most people do not have a separate receiver for every tv.

#69 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,990 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Actually most people, in fact the overwhelming majority of people, do have a separate receiver for every TV. That's what I'm told. While I'm sympathetic to your situation, you should understand that you are in a relatively small minority.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#70 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

Thank you drded. I agree 100%. When I called yesterday they basically told me to bug off. I have been a customer since 1995 - beta tested their first dvr - my bill is well over 100 a month and they treated me like crap. I know this effects LOTS of customers, most people do not have a separate receiver for every tv.

I'm fairly sure most do as thats the supported/correct setup
installers may do unsupported setups and its not D*'s fault if you get one of those they may at any time cause any and all unsupported setups to not work as they're unsupported and thus all that are designing new D* software and tech will assume the unsupported setups don't exist because they aren't ment to exist

#71 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

Wow I must have a very special group of acquaintances - not one person I know with DTV has a receiver for every tv - most have just one receiver.

#72 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

...When I called yesterday they basically told me to bug off. I have been a customer since 1995 - beta tested their first dvr - my bill is well over 100 a month and they treated me like crap. I know this effects LOTS of customers, most people do not have a separate receiver for every tv.

X2! Signed up with D* in '94, my first remote had the USSB logo on it. D* could care less about customer loyalty. Case in point D* is currently offering their latest greatest receiver to new customers while the rest of us have to wait.

...While I'm sympathetic to your situation, you should understand that you are in a relatively small minority.

So 0.1% or less?

:D:D:D
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#73 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Wow I must have a very special group of acquaintances - not one person I know with DTV has a receiver for every tv - most have just one receiver.

Not to mention why inflate an already too expensive monthly D* bill by paying the extra lease charge for each additional receiver, when one can run multiple TV's from one receiver?
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#74 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,143 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Not to mention why inflate an already too expensive monthly D* bill by paying the extra lease charge for each additional receiver, when one can run multiple TV's from one receiver?

A reason I do is for HD on all of mine.
A.K.A VOS

#75 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 04:47 PM

I can get hd on all my tvs through the antenna for live tv - but 99% of what I watch is recorded - and the dvr is what runs through the distribution system

Protected By... spam firewall...And...