Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New hd guide sd connections

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,101 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:03 PM

The yellow is your video out and you can use the Red, White from the receiver for audio.

Yellow from converter out to rf modulator and red, white from receiver to rf modulator.

Yeah it's a bummer but it works and not that expensive.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
So the yellow composite output is there for what reason?

Will keep you informed. No time now to check everything out. But I am sure there are thousands of cust in the same boat. Anyone who built a home in the 90's has this type of install. Mine was actually done by a dtv independent tech.

#43 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,101 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Will keep you informed. No time now to check everything out. But I am sure there are thousands of cust in the same boat. Anyone who built a home in the 90's has this type of install. Mine was actually done by a dtv independent tech.

What does the Nineties have to do with running more than one tv off of one receiver?

Trust me, you are a part of a small group. That's why were here to help.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#44 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Just for clarification. My feed still works to all tvs. My problem is not being able to control features with remote (except ff and rw) because the message blocks the view. Yes it disappears but comes back with every press of a button

#45 OFFLINE   Ruffread

Ruffread

Godfather

• Registered
  • 489 posts
  • LocationVista, CA

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

F1 Fan: I investigated converters, and an HDMI converter would cause the lowest denominator signal, ie 720P to be the outputs. I have a a 1080P Plasma, and don't want signal downgraded to 720.
An HDMI switch would work, but for only one TV at a time.

#46 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

The yellow is your video out and you can use the Red, White from the receiver for audio. Yellow from converter out to rf modulator and red, white from receiver to rf modulator.

Yes, I realized that right after posting. My bad again! :eek:

Edited by Continental Divide, 21 December 2011 - 01:51 PM.

"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#47 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

F1 Fan: I investigated converters, and an HDMI converter would cause the lowest denominator signal, ie 720P to be the outputs. I have a a 1080P Plasma, and don't want signal downgraded to 720.
An HDMI switch would work, but for only one TV at a time.

Not an HDMI switch. And HDMI Matrix. Big difference. they are stated in the form AxB where A is inputs and B is outputs.

For example I am looking at a 4x4 and a 4x8 Matrix. These are independently controlled. So I can have 1 input to one output, another input to 2 outputs and then a 3rd input the a 4th output. And with a couple of presses on the remote I can have 1 input to all outputs.

The 1x2 gives you 1input from your receiver to 2 outputs. This is different to what you described.

I will look for a link for you.

Edit: The 1x2 is called a splitter, the others are called a Matrix. Here is a quick link on Amazon. http://www.amazon.co...tter Box&page=1
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Do you watch the main tv in hd at the same time you watch one of the other tvs you have being feed by your distribution system?

#49 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:36 PM

Just for clarification. My feed still works to all tvs. My problem is not being able to control features with remote (except ff and rw) because the message blocks the view. Yes it disappears but comes back with every press of a button

Correct. This message does NOT appear on any of the HD outputs. It appears on ALL of the SD outputs if the receiver is using 720p/1080i/1080p resolution. Since the receiver has TWO HD outputs, connect the HDMI output to the HDTV and use the other HD output (component) to feed all the other SD connections.

Stop using the SD outputs on the DirecTV receiver. Use the component to composite/S-video converter mentioned in this thread to convert the receiver's HD component output signal to SD. You will end up with exactly the same SD output you had before. But the annoying message will be gone and you'll even be able to use the menus again.

#50 OFFLINE   bflora

bflora

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:56 PM

I'm in a similar situation in feeding several tv's via modulated rf and the main hdtv via component since the hdmi on my hr20-700 died. I haven't seen any of the component to composite converters that have loop thru for the component which would be what I need. Anyone have any ideas (solutions)?

#51 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Do you watch the main tv in hd at the same time you watch one of the other tvs you have being feed by your distribution system?

Yes, that's the problem. I'll often times be watching the HD TV in the living room while my better half will be watching the SD TV while she's cooking dinner in the kitchen. ;)
"Theoretically television may be feasible, but I consider it an impossibility, a development which we should waste little time dreaming about."
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#52 OFFLINE   F1 Fan

F1 Fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 838 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'm in a similar situation in feeding several tv's via modulated rf and the main hdtv via component since the hdmi on my hr20-700 died. I haven't seen any of the component to composite converters that have loop thru for the component which would be what I need. Anyone have any ideas (solutions)?

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

Sorry the link isnt working. Put in product id 2848 ($3 each)
HR34-700, HR24-100, 3x H25-100s, MRV on DECA, SWM16

#53 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Maybe a Component Splitter Box?
~Lee de Forest -1926.

#54 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

Yes, that's the problem. I'll often times be watching the HD TV in the living room while my better half will be watching the SD TV while she's cooking dinner in the kitchen. ;)

Then I still don't see this as a problem that can't be easily overcome. You control it in the room with the HDTV, so she won't need to worry about seeing the on screen controls, or press and hold exit, switch the resolution, or get the adapter for the component output. There are several ways around this issue.

#55 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

D* never advertised using more that one output at once. You were using the box in a unsupported configuration. There appear to be workarounds available with the new GUI, and D* even included one via holding down the exit key. Since a small percentage of people use the box like this, it's probably far down on D*'s list of things to fix (if they can fix it at all). If D* took the time to implement the exit button workaround instead of fixing the problem, that's not a good sign.

Dish *DOES* actively promote this configuration. You can always switch to them if it's a critical feature for you.

While your post is accurate, this isn't some 'crazy' setup I dreamed up. My DirecTV installer charged me $40 extra and provided an RF Modulator and a UHF remote and installed it for me.

It was his idea, not mine....

I really don't understand how any of these things will fix my situation. My tvs are using coaxial which is installed through the walls. Even if I go out to distribution through anything else it still is going to end up going through the coax to the tvs.

Your HD receiver doesn't have a coax output, so you have something (rf modulator) converting Svideo or Composite to coax. This box goes in between them and resolved your issue.

Correct. This message does NOT appear on any of the HD outputs. It appears on ALL of the SD outputs if the receiver is using 720p/1080i/1080p resolution. Since the receiver has TWO HD outputs, connect the HDMI output to the HDTV and use the other HD output (component) to feed all the other SD connections.

It ONLY appears on live tv. If someone leaves it in the guide, a menu, the screen saver you get a black screen.

Then I still don't see this as a problem that can't be easily overcome. You control it in the room with the HDTV, so she won't need to worry about seeing the on screen controls, or press and hold exit, switch the resolution, or get the adapter for the component output. There are several ways around this issue.

Only if you don't mind changing the main HDTV to SD. The BIG problem is that you can't watch HD in one room and SD in the other room at the same time.

#56 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

Only if you don't mind changing the main HDTV to SD. The BIG problem is that you can't watch HD in one room and SD in the other room at the same time.

In which case the component to composite output is something to consider if you use that configuration often,which again solves this issue completely, and basically allows the system to work like it did before.

#57 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:18 PM

Only graphics can't be displayed on the SD set while the DVR is set to output an HD signal so after the message on the SD TV times out, video will display without issue while the DVR is still outputting in HD.
Vin

#58 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

to be a lower quality (slightly) than s-video

#59 OFFLINE   Marwood

Marwood

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

One more thing. In my situation I have apx 35 ft feed under house and through walls from rec to main tv. I had so many prob with hdmi at that length I switched to component. Guess I need to look into a hdmi converter to my dist system?

#60 OFFLINE   Continental Divide

Continental Divide

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:30 PM

Only graphics can't be displayed on the SD set while the DVR is set to output an HD signal so after the message on the SD TV times out, video will display without issue while the DVR is still outputting in HD.

All true! In my case I want the ability to change channels/ access the guide etc. from the other SD TV's without putting the receiver in SD mode, so the down converter is seemingly the only "no brainer" solution. Many thanks to all for providing that solution. :goodjob:

Now all I have to do is pull my two ton solid oak entertainment system out from the wall to access the back of the receiver! :mad:
~Lee de Forest -1926.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...