Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Help with home theater setup for HR24-500

receiver

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:27 PM

Needed to consult the experts so I am posting my questions here. I am new to Directv and satellite in general. Here are my questions:

I have an older Panasonic DVD home theater system. When the Directv installer came, we could not get the surround sound working through it at all with the RCA cables he was using. I fiddled with them some more, got it working but now there's a horrendous hum in the background of the actual sound. Gave me a headache after about 10 minutes. What's causing that?

In case I can't resolve this, I've had my eye on a Panasonic blu-ray (Panasonic only because that's what my TV is and have always had good luck with the brand) home theater system. It would use HDMI + ARC. Does HR24-500 support ARC? Supposedly ARC supported units alleviate the need for optical audio cables.

Lastly, do you recommend going HDMI from
Directv box -> Blu-ray player -> TV? Or
Directv -> TV -> Blu-ray?

Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I'm an AV noob.
Thanks!
Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Can you find/list the model of the Panasonic?
RCA outputs aren't ever going to get surround sound.
HDMI, or optical/ digital coax is what carries it.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:40 PM

As you can see here, ARC has nothing to do with the DVR:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1324496388

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

Oh, I see, so the ARC just alleviates the auto cable from tv back to home theater system. But if you're using the home theater system for surround sound, shouldn't the audio be available from the HDMI cable from HR24 to the home theater unit or do I need a separate optical cable between the units? The model# for the Panasonic home theater system is SC-BTT770.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Oh, I see, so the ARC just alleviates the auto cable from tv back to home theater system. But if you're using the home theater system for surround sound, shouldn't the audio be available from the HDMI cable from HR24 to the home theater unit or do I need a separate optical cable between the units?

It is, but you need to look through the home theater menu to find the setting.
My old Sony doesn't have HDMI, but I had a loaner Sony that did and it took me "forever" to find the right setting that picked up the Dolby from my HR24-500. These manuals aren't "the most user friendly", and this one only made sense "after I found it" [by trying every possible option].
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Thank you for the information, I will have to try to work on it a bit. With my old DVD player, the tech hooked it up like this:
HDMI from HR24 to TV
Another HDMI from DVD to TV
RCA cables from HR24 to DVD

From your diagram, this is probably incorrect and may be the source of the hum?

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:10 PM

Thank you for the information, I will have to try to work on it a bit. With my old DVD player, the tech hooked it up like this:
HDMI from HR24 to TV
Another HDMI from DVD to TV
RCA cables from HR24 to DVD

From your diagram, this is probably incorrect and may be the source of the hum?

I've got a pdf of your system currently open, and it looks like you want to:
HR24 -> HDMI input 1 of the Panasonic --> HDMI out to TV.
DVD --> Panasonic

Now to show how these manuals are weird :
Audio will be output through the system's speakers when “Off” is selected in “HDMI Audio Output”. (f39)

"A normal" person would read this as "turn off audio to get the speakers to work" :eek2:
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

Yea, that is really weird. Maybe lost in the Japanese -> English translation. Where does this whole ARC thing come in, or is that only if I need audio coming back from the TV? This setup looks like it cuts the TV out of the mix, which is ok since its sound stinks anyway.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:22 PM

Yea, that is really weird. Maybe lost in the Japanese -> English translation. Where does this whole ARC thing come in, or is that only if I need audio coming back from the TV? This setup looks like it cuts the TV out of the mix, which is ok since its sound stinks anyway.

ARC comes in when you're watching "real TV" and want the sound from the TV tuner to go back to the Panasonic. My Sony TV doesn't have ARC, so I have the optical running back.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   racermd

racermd

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

EDIT - VOS got to it before I did... But read, anyway.

Note that ARC is really only useful for sending audio back upstream from the TV to the home theater receiver in cases where you have no upstream video source feeding the TV. Normally, the HDMI connection is a one-way street going INTO the TV. However, ARC provides a reverse audio-only path from the TV to the home theater system. It's useful for when you want better audio for a source built into your TV, such as an OTA tuner or various Netflix-like apps.

ARC really shouldn't come into play with your HR24 since you're presumably feeding it through your home theater receiver (one cable from the HR24 to the home theater unit, another from the home theater unit to your TV). That home theater receiver should pull the audio bits out of the HDMI stream for playback and pass the signal on to your TV.

If, for some reason, you're not getting any audio from your home theater setup via the HDMI cable from the HR24, try adjusting some of the settings on both the HR24 and your home theater unit. In some cases, home theater units will not support all the various audio modes available since new ones seem to keep coming every year and seem to be supported only via HDMI.

As a last resort, you can certainly run a separate optical cable for audio to the home theater receiver. However, you'll lose some of the more advanced surround modes and likely be left with "simple" 5.1. If that's enough for you, then you're all set.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:28 PM

EDIT - VOS got to it before I did... But read, anyway.

I did but got bored. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:34 PM

Thanks Racermd and VOS. My 6 year old Panasonic won't do the audio very well, but the new blu-ray system I want probably will. I will try just the HDMI setup first. It's amazing, I lived most of my life without surround sound, but after having it, it's a requirement like water or air now. :lol: Plus it seems like so many TV shows put the incidental music in front of the people speaking and I can't hear them dagummit!

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Racermd and VOS. My 6 year old Panasonic won't do the audio very well, but the new blu-ray system I want probably will. I will try just the HDMI setup first. It's amazing, I lived most of my life without surround sound, but after having it, it's a requirement like water or air now. :lol: Plus it seems like so many TV shows put the incidental music in front of the people speaking and I can't hear them dagummit!

My Sony is maybe 6 years old now and doesn't have a problem with 5.1 Dolby. It doesn't know what to do with many of the newer types, but is fine for what the HR24 outputs.

Do you think it might be setup better than it is?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Can you find/list the model of the Panasonic?
RCA outputs aren't ever going to get surround sound.
HDMI, or optical/ digital coax is what carries it.

Well digital coax audio has the same style plug as rca so one could call it an rca plug

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

Maybe someone is looking for a Christmas present. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

Well digital coax audio has the same style plug as rca so one could call it an rca plug

"but" it ain't the plug that's the problem, but the cable between them. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:56 PM

Well my problem is my old unit only has 1 HDMI. :crying:

#18 OFFLINE   DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Godfather

• Registered
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:01 PM

you could get an HDMI switch to go in before the theater unit
though that would add some complexity

or if theres a digital audio return connection from the TV just have that connect to the theater and then have anything that on the tv feeding audio down to the unit

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,859 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

Well my problem is my old unit only has 1 HDMI. :crying:

That's not what the manual shows:
http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1324501419

Are you sure of the model?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   NurseDiesel

NurseDiesel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Oh I know, that one is the NEW blu-ray, I was thinking about using my old Panasonic DVD which only has one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: receiver

Protected By... spam firewall...And...